Tom Petty estate slams Kari Lake use of I Won't Back Down: "shocked that it's stolen, used without permission", will sue for promoting failed campaign

It's very difficult to prove commercial use.

If you're using the song in an ad, that could definitely be construed as commercial use.

But if you're just using it as background music before a speech, it would be a lot harder.
No.

It’s incredibly easy to prove commercial use.

What is the occasion? How many people were there? Where was the location?

All easily proven.

Dumb fucking shit for brains leftard, no matter how much BULLSHIT you spew into the airwaves, the simple undeniable fact remains that you don't have to ask the publisher for permission to play the record. REGARDLESS of whether you've purchased it or not.

You fucking retarded blowhards should crack a book before flapping your terminally ignorant yaps
Profanity is a poor attempt at distraction from the fact that you don’t know shit.

Wixen’s lawsuit follows several lawsuits that have focused on Spotify’s alleged failure to pay royalties on a song’s musical composition. Recorded songs have two separate copyrights: The sound recording, which is typically owned by the record label, and the musical composition (also known as the “mechanical license”), which is owned by the songwriter and publisher.
{...} Last May, Spotify agreed to a $43 million settlement in a similar case
Tom helped write the book:
Amazon product ASIN 0634090542

Like I said earlier, if Lake would simply had asked permission she would have received either a Yes or No.
If a musician thinks using the material would cause harm, especially giving listeners the impression that the musician is of Lake's political beliefs (obviously not) they call for a cease and desist. If this happens in Europe it would fall under Moral Copyright. The USA lags in this area for some reason.

Wrong!

Got anymore stupid, off base opinions you'd like to share that might spring forth from your veritable wellspring of counterintuitive understanding of copywrite law?

Oh look, another ignorant Nazi weighs in.
In fact stupid, that's exactly how it works.

/Thread

Sore MAGAtard Losers Unite!

U Gotta Fight
Fur Ur Right
To Farty!

How is it the "thread," drone? His link is just a generic pointer to copyright law. Your fellow Nazi didn't even attempt to support his claim.

Here is proof that you're gay:

Fucking moron.

Publishing is a license to the public to use the published material.
Yep, once expired. On January 1st of this year, for example, many published, copyrighted works from 1926 entered the public domain for the first time!

See my thumb? JFC you are dumb!

If it were up to me, there would be no "intellectual property." There would be no "public domain" licenses. No "copyright" protections. Being an eternal optimist, I look forward to such a day. But I'm also a realist. Being a nation of laws means people can't just do whatever they fucking please just because they feel like it really bad!

Last edited:
His link is just a generic pointer to copyright law. Your fellow Nazi didn't even attempt to support his claim.
Seriously, what are you smoking?
What is copyright infringement?
As a general matter, copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.
See what Hellbilly put in bold for ya? Published or not, that all still applies until the copyright holder explicitly signs those "rights" away (or the copyright expires).

Forum List

Back