🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Tonight I will be obliterating recoverability of data on my hard drive

The OP seems to know all about it. Even so, a hammer will do it. Don't think I've ever read of data being recovered from a smashed drive.

Yes, that would be a grand idea. I'm sure that after I smash my hard drive my I'll still be able to use my computer in the morning without any difficulty. :slap:

You're kidding right? It was subpoenaed evidence at the time her attorneys were trying to sanitize the extracted "evidence".

:link:

Clinton subpoena claim undercut by lawyer reply - CNNPolitics.com

*yawn*

This is the same masturbatory nonsense all over again. You make it sound like people should never dispose of anything, ever, because you never know if a subpoena might come in the future. Not to mention the subpoena was about specific emails, which were provided. It's nothing but kettle logic.

You're kidding right? It was subpoenaed evidence at the time her attorneys were trying to sanitize the extracted "evidence".

*yawn*

This is the same masturbatory nonsense all over again. You make it sound like people should never dispose of anything, ever, because you never know if a subpoena might come in the future. Not to mention the subpoena was about specific emails, which were provided. It's nothing but kettle logic.

*yawn*

Wrong again, she was briefed on the preservation of communications requirements to comply with the federal records keeping law. So she knew they should be preserved and didn't, which disqualifies her form being president, or she was too brain damaged to remember, which also disqualifies her from being president.

Wrong again, she was briefed on the preservation of communications requirements to comply with the federal records keeping law. So she knew they should be preserved and didn't, which disqualifies her form being president, or she was too brain damaged to remember, which also disqualifies her from being president.

What exactly do you think the requirement is, eh? Newsflash for you: The law in question actually makes each individual the arbiter to determine what is actually necessary to be preserved.

What exactly do you think the requirement is, eh? Newsflash for you: The law in question actually makes each individual the arbiter to determine what is actually necessary to be preserved.

You might want to read it again.

Not really. A single pass overwrite will generally do the trick to prevent recovery from any known means. At least, so long as we're talking about an HDD. Solid state drives are a trickier matter.
Complete bullshit, it will just make it harder to recover the data.

Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory

With the use of increasingly sophisticated encryption systems, an attacker wishing to gain access to sensitive data is forced to look elsewhere for information. One avenue of attack is the recovery of supposedly erased data from magnetic media or random-access memory. This paper covers some of the methods available to recover erased data and presents schemes to make this recovery significantly more difficult.

I used to work at Ampex. What WAS America's premiere magnetic recording company. There are "fringe zones" outside the erase head (or the record/erase head). These fringes stay when data is erased. But if you continually rewrite the tracks -- it makes it progressively harder. There is also parity and error checking built into the records, which may be used to unwind multiple recordings.

If someone uses BitBleach -- It's too labor intensive to attempt any kind of recovery on a large volume of data.

Not really. A single pass overwrite will generally do the trick to prevent recovery from any known means. At least, so long as we're talking about an HDD. Solid state drives are a trickier matter.
Complete bullshit, it will just make it harder to recover the data.

Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory

With the use of increasingly sophisticated encryption systems, an attacker wishing to gain access to sensitive data is forced to look elsewhere for information. One avenue of attack is the recovery of supposedly erased data from magnetic media or random-access memory. This paper covers some of the methods available to recover erased data and presents schemes to make this recovery significantly more difficult.

I used to work at Ampex. What WAS America's premiere magnetic recording company. There are "fringe zones" outside the erase head (or the record/erase head). These fringes stay when data is erased. But if you continually rewrite the tracks -- it makes it progressively harder. There is also parity and error checking built into the records, which may be used to unwind multiple recordings.

If someone uses BitBleach -- It's too labor intensive to attempt any kind of recovery on a large volume of data.
It's work but it can be done, if you want it that bad that is.

There are "fringe zones" outside the erase head (or the record/erase head). These fringes stay when data is erased.
Yes, I know. Very fine heads can be used to read them. Gutmann talks about that. The OP knows better, even though he didn't read very far.

Last edited:
The OP seems to know all about it. Even so, a hammer will do it. Don't think I've ever read of data being recovered from a smashed drive.
Hammers are a rather poor way as well if you don't overwrite the data. We use both - 13 'passes' over the data and then destroy the drives after.

Sorry swim but the OP is bullshit. She deleted documents that were governmental records and required to be preserved. Further, she did not secure the classified information on the server properly and had people that were not supposed to have access to that information doing the cleaning.

What she did I would go to jail for. It is bullshit that she gets a pass for something that any service member is not only aware of not doing but would be harshly punished for doing so.

Sorry swim but the OP is bullshit. She deleted documents that were governmental records and required to be preserved.

Statute leaves it to each person to decide what is important to be preserved. If you think the government saves every little email ever, then that's just plain silly.

Further, she did not secure the classified information on the server properly

That is an entirely separate issue from sanitizing the hardware. Yes, there were security problems with the keeping of the server itself. I'd say it's a pretty damn good reason for the government to establish new SOP about email communications and minimum security protocols. But regardless of the server being more available than a $5 crack whore or locked down better than Ft Knox, it does not change the issue sanitizing the hard drive.

I'm sick of hearing about Clinton allegedly destroying "evidence" simply because the hard drive was sanitized. It should have been sanitized. It would be far more egregious if it hadn't been sanitized. People making such claims demonstrate their own ignorance and carelessness with their data.

SwimExpert, you are hopeless or are too stupid to comprehend what Crooked Hillary did. Only a fucking retard routinely "sanitizes" their hard drive with Bleach Bit or similar. For the record I have been on the internet since the early 90's and have only had one hard drive failure but I always keep a full backup on another drive.

Forum List

Back