Top Five Rock Performers

Your profile says you are thirty-two. When did you see Buddy Holly perform?

IMO, often the best performance are far from the most popular.

It is well known, that the Beatles were garbage, and sucked to see them live. Because of ampflication technology, and the roar of the crowd? Nobody could hear them at a lot of their concerts.

Hell, they even admitted to not playing some of their songs, and just acting like it some of the times, and no one even knew there was no sound, because the roar of the crowds was so loud.

So, if it is about, "performers," that disqualifies the Beatles right off.
Beatles hated live performances
The crowd would drown them out

Top 5 performers?
  1. Jimmy Hendrix
  2. Jim Morrison
  3. The Who
  4. Alice Cooper
  5. Elvis
The only one on that list I've seen live is Alice Cooper - who put on a great show.

Best live concert I've seen is Trans Siberian Orchestra. George Thoroughgood was great,
The Cars were great.

Aerosmith was good both times I saw them.

Led Zeppelin and Fleetwood Mac both sucked when I saw them in the 70's - though I like both bands.

Jim Morrison's first experience as an onstage concert performer was drunkenly performing Louie Louie with Ray Manzarek's old band at UCLA...here's a later more rare version

Beatles hated live performances
The crowd would drown them out
That's basically what I was getting at. The enthusiasm and din of the crowds were greater than concert technology back then.

The band arrived by helicopter atop a nearby World’s Fair building, then scrambled into a Wells Fargo armored truck that drove them inside the stadium. They stepped out of the truck, and from the stands spewed an apocalyptic roar. Police held their ears against the pain.

“Within minutes, emergency nursing stations beneath the stands were filled to overflowing with girls who had fainted from their own screaming. Stadium concerts had never happened before. No singer or group could fill so large a space.

“For the Beatles’ concert, the Vox sound company created customized amplifiers with their usual thirty watts of power boosted to a spectacular one hundred watts. Nothing helped. The audience was a raging animal, far away, straining against wire barriers.”

This was not what the band signed up for when they started. They liked engaging with their fans, not caging them in for both their safety.
A day after the concert, a reporter asked John Lennon, “Does it bother you that you can’t hear what you sing during concerts?” He replied, “No, we don’t mind. We’ve got the records at home.” It was the usual witty remark, but underneath, The Beatles hated it.

A reporter asked George how he felt about the near riot at Shea Stadium. He replied, “It was very impersonal. Worst of all . . . we really didn’t care anymore.”

That's basically what I was getting at. The enthusiasm and din of the crowds were greater than concert technology back then.

The band arrived by helicopter atop a nearby World’s Fair building, then scrambled into a Wells Fargo armored truck that drove them inside the stadium. They stepped out of the truck, and from the stands spewed an apocalyptic roar. Police held their ears against the pain.

“Within minutes, emergency nursing stations beneath the stands were filled to overflowing with girls who had fainted from their own screaming. Stadium concerts had never happened before. No singer or group could fill so large a space.

“For the Beatles’ concert, the Vox sound company created customized amplifiers with their usual thirty watts of power boosted to a spectacular one hundred watts. Nothing helped. The audience was a raging animal, far away, straining against wire barriers.”

This was not what the band signed up for when they started. They liked engaging with their fans, not caging them in for both their safety.
A day after the concert, a reporter asked John Lennon, “Does it bother you that you can’t hear what you sing during concerts?” He replied, “No, we don’t mind. We’ve got the records at home.” It was the usual witty remark, but underneath, The Beatles hated it.

A reporter asked George how he felt about the near riot at Shea Stadium. He replied, “It was very impersonal. Worst of all . . . we really didn’t care anymore.”

The Beatles attracted mostly young girls to their early concerts.

The only one on that list I've seen live is Alice Cooper - who put on a great show.

Best live concert I've seen is Trans Siberian Orchestra. George Thoroughgood was great,
The Cars were great.

Aerosmith was good both times I saw them.

Led Zeppelin and Fleetwood Mac both sucked when I saw them in the 70's - though I like both bands.
I saw Zeppelin twice and they were awesome! Best concert I ever saw, was Bruce Springsteen River tour in 1980 at the LA Sports arena. They played 5-1/2 hours.

I saw Zeppelin twice and they were awesome! Best concert I ever saw, was Bruce Springsteen River tour in 1980 at the LA Sports arena. They played 5-1/2 hours.
I've heard Zep could be great. At the Forum in 1976 they were too stoned to play. Page was off tempo, Plant couldn't carry a tune, and damned near fell off the stage, stumbling around. They really were awful.

I've heard Zep could be great. At the Forum in 1976 they were too stoned to play. Page was off tempo, Plant couldn't carry a tune, and damned near fell off the stage, stumbling around. They really were awful.
I saw them in '78 at the Forum and that was the loudest concert I've ever been to.

Forum List

Back