Town Uses Trespass Law to Fight Illegal Immigrants

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
Town Uses Trespass Law to Fight Illegal Immigrants

JAFFREY, N.H., July 12 - One day in April, Jorge Mora Ramírez stopped his car on the side of a road in the small southern New Hampshire town of New Ipswich and was making a cellphone call when a police officer approached him.

13immigrant184.jpg

Jodi Hilton for The New York Times
Jorge Mora Ramírez, an illegal immigrant from Mexico at the center of an extraordinary case, in court with his lawyers for a hearing on Tuesday.

The officer questioned Mr. Ramírez, a 21-year-old Mexican who acknowledged that he was in the country illegally, and the New Ipswich police tried to get federal immigration authorities to arrest him. But when immigration officials demurred, not considering him a priority given scarce enforcement resources, the police acted on their own. They took the highly unusual step of charging Mr. Ramírez with criminal trespassing, and held him overnight.

13nhmap.jpg

The New York Times
New Ipswich's approach is drawing a lot of notice elsewhere.

"I wanted the federal government to understand that I was going to take some type of action," said the New Ipswich police chief, W. Garrett Chamberlain. "If I can discourage illegal aliens from coming to or passing through my community, then I think I've succeeded."

13chamberlain.jpg

Jodi Hilton for The New York Times
W. Garrett Chamberlain, police chief of New Ipswich, N.H., cited the state's law against trespassing in bringing charges against Mr. Ramírez.

A similar case is jumpin thru the hoops in Cali. Heard it on the Sirius back in early 05 while I was driving a truck. Perhaps the local sherriff could pick em up and lock em up. Charge the Federal Government for the room and board until "scarce enforcement resourses" could come and pick them up. Might help the AZ, CA, and TX economic recoveries......

pegwinn said:
A similar case is jumpin thru the hoops in Cali. Heard it on the Sirius back in early 05 while I was driving a truck. Perhaps the local sherriff could pick em up and lock em up. Charge the Federal Government for the room and board until "scarce enforcement resourses" could come and pick them up. Might help the AZ, CA, and TX economic recoveries......

great idea but don't hold your breath until you get your bucks back! Heck Austin doesnt even have room for the crooks we already have.

Forum List

Back