Tracking an invisible killer in Texas.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
The EPA used to do a good job.....growing up down-river from Cleveland Ohio in the 60's and 70's, I witnessed the changes as they were happening. What was once the infamous river that caught fire is now part of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

Growing up, a group of eight friends in Groves, Texas, had never heard of ethylene oxide, the carcinogenic gas that poured out from a chemical plant in their neighborhood. Now three of them are fighting cancer.

The Intercept obtained an air study of ethylene oxide emissions from that chemical plant, now owned by a Thai company called Indorama Ventures. It reveals that the plant’s emissions of the toxic gas pose a cancer risk that far exceeds Environmental Protection Agency safety standards and presents an elevated risk across an area of more than 1,000 square miles.
Read the full story:

It would be pretty cool to see water burn.
They literally used to dump cars in that river.
1640738953888.png

I'm not sure if the refinery shown in the video was the first refinery on the Gulf Coast, but it was one of the first. I remember walking through it in the early 70s before they stored all their oil in tanks, when they had huge open pits of crude oil, and an overhead pipe bursting over workers was not an unusual thing. These are the refineries that still get billions in grants and tax abatements from our government.

I'm not sure if the refinery shown in the video was the first refinery on the Gulf Coast, but it was one of the first. I remember walking through it in the early 70s before they stored all their oil in tanks, when they had huge open pits of crude oil, and an overhead pipe bursting over workers was not an unusual thing. These are the refineries that still get billions in grants and tax abatements from our government.

I would have lit one of those pits on fire with a Bic, just for shits and giggles.

Forum List

Back