Trailering in Retirement

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Anyone here an expert on RV trailering?

I'm a year or so from retirement, and I'm thinking that I want to facilitate three or four 30-45 day road trips around the U.S. and Canada annually, after I pull the plug. I'm not inclined to get a motor home, because it will be too cumbersome to ride around at each destination and I don't want to be bothered with a towed vehicle out back.

Doing a couple hours of research on the Internet, it appears that:

(a) Full-sized "American" pickup trucks are generally considered to be the best tow vehicles, with the Dodge/Ram/Cummins diesel as the (pardon the irony) "Cadillac" of tow vehicles,

(b) 17' seems to be the borderline for the smallest tolerable RV trailers for extended travel, and

(c) The whole experience is probably not as cheap as one would hope, what with RV park fees, lousy fuel economy, tolls, and such.

My personal preference would be to get a Touareg diesel as a tow vehicle, but the towing community seems to consider it nothing more than a novelty, despite its 7,700 factory-rated towing capacity. It seems that wheelbase, track, and maximum tongue weight are significant factors for experienced people, and the Touareg just doesn't cut it in those areas. I do notice however, that the Touareg weighs in excess of 5,500 pounds, which is substantial in anyone's book.

One big question in my mind is whether it is always necessary to "park" overnight in an RV facility. It seems to me that although it will be necessary to plug into an outlet and flush out the plumbing every couple days, it should be possible to stop at, say, a truck stop for the night, more often than not. I assume that a lightweight Honda generator could facilitate nights off The Grid, so to speak. Is this realistic?

To be clear, my intent would be to buy everything used, and I'm figuring less than $20k for a tow vehicle and less than $10k for a trailer.

Any thoughts from experienced people?

We tow a small pop-up camper with our Jeep. 15-17 mpg.

No toilet/bath so we park it near the campground facilities.

You can keep it simple or complicated. Whatever you choose, you'll adjust. It's all fun and good.

Anyone here an expert on RV trailering?

I'm a year or so from retirement, and I'm thinking that I want to facilitate three or four 30-45 day road trips around the U.S. and Canada annually, after I pull the plug. I'm not inclined to get a motor home, because it will be too cumbersome to ride around at each destination and I don't want to be bothered with a towed vehicle out back.

Doing a couple hours of research on the Internet, it appears that:

(a) Full-sized "American" pickup trucks are generally considered to be the best tow vehicles, with the Dodge/Ram/Cummins diesel as the (pardon the irony) "Cadillac" of tow vehicles,

(b) 17' seems to be the borderline for the smallest tolerable RV trailers for extended travel, and

(c) The whole experience is probably not as cheap as one would hope, what with RV park fees, lousy fuel economy, tolls, and such.

My personal preference would be to get a Touareg diesel as a tow vehicle, but the towing community seems to consider it nothing more than a novelty, despite its 7,700 factory-rated towing capacity. It seems that wheelbase, track, and maximum tongue weight are significant factors for experienced people, and the Touareg just doesn't cut it in those areas. I do notice however, that the Touareg weighs in excess of 5,500 pounds, which is substantial in anyone's book.

One big question in my mind is whether it is always necessary to "park" overnight in an RV facility. It seems to me that although it will be necessary to plug into an outlet and flush out the plumbing every couple days, it should be possible to stop at, say, a truck stop for the night, more often than not. I assume that a lightweight Honda generator could facilitate nights off The Grid, so to speak. Is this realistic?

To be clear, my intent would be to buy everything used, and I'm figuring less than $20k for a tow vehicle and less than $10k for a trailer.

I'd go with a diesel 4-door pickup, goose-neck hitch with fifth wheel just forward of the rear axle, electric trailer brakes. Otherwise, attend a towing safety school, learn about the problems associated with hitch behind the rear bumper packages, relative vehicle weights and short wheel base tow vehicles. You can get in serious trouble if you do not understand and compensate for the physics of your towing configuration and where the heavy loads are placed. Just sayin'....

A lot of state rest areas have free sewer dumps. Many Wal-Mart Super Centers welcome overnight campers, even the big trucks. Depending on the size of your potable water tank and your sewer tank, AND the number of users, you can camp several days without any hook ups. Especially if you find a way to use free toilets and carry a reasonable supply of bottled water.

If you're planning to carry any firearms, check state laws before crossing the line.

We have family who own an enormous self-contained monster and say they love it. If i remember right, and its a figure that blew me away, they said they paid $300K for it. They just bought a concrete slab in a state they like to visit. The one and only time they brought it to our lake house, we had to chop branches off hundred-year old trees to accommodate the thing and they still did all their cooking, eating, bathroom-ing in our house. Frankly, I hope they never bring it back because of the damage it did.

I wouldn't be able to stand being in it, day after day. We really love to travel but prefer to actually leave that which is familiar.

*shrug*

To each their own.

With the money it would cost to rent a motor home for a month I could rent a furnished apartment in my chosen destination. Either way, pissing money away. If I buy a tow-vehicle and a trailer wisely, I can use them for a couple years and sell them for about what I paid for them.

You can easily spend half a million dollars on a motor home, if you have the money and have shit for brains.

My personal preference would be to get a conversion van, and sleep in it, using KOA and similar facilities to supplement for bathing and bathroom privileges. Wife wants something a little more civilized.

With the money it would cost to rent a motor home for a month I could rent a furnished apartment in my chosen destination. Either way, pissing money away. If I buy a tow-vehicle and a trailer wisely, I can use them for a couple years and sell them for about what I paid for them.

You can easily spend half a million dollars on a motor home, if you have the money and have shit for brains.

My personal preference would be to get a conversion van, and sleep in it, using KOA and similar facilities to supplement for bathing and bathroom privileges. Wife wants something a little more civilized.

If you have already made up your mind, why the fuck did you ask the question?

And you're 100% WRONG on your assumptions.

Apparently, you don't know how to train a wife!

Forum List

Back