Transcript of Jeff Flake's speech -- October 24, 2017 -- on the Senate floor.

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
One can find the transcript of Flake's speech here: FLAKE ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT ON SENATE FLOOR

If you didn't watch it in it's entirety, you should read it. It's all about character and the lack thereof that's manifold and manifest in Trump and throughout the GOP. And let's be honest; the key problem in U.S. politics is the character deficit pervading the party currently in power.

One can find the transcript of Flake's speech here: FLAKE ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT ON SENATE FLOOR

If you didn't watch it in it's entirety, you should read it. It's all about character and the lack thereof that's manifold and manifest in Trump and throughout the GOP. And let's be honest; the key problem in U.S. politics is the character deficit pervading the party currently in power.
This will only energize the Trumpsters, who are convinced the country is clamoring for a bunch of Donald Trumps, Steve Bannons and Roy Moores running things.

Okay, I guess we'll find out in about a year.

No, it is about Flake trailing in polls to a nobody and the day of Losertarian Open Borders flakes being over

He weeps about the impression Trump gives his kids b y being rude, but couldnt give a fuck about heaping trillions of dollars of US debt on them and their grandkids for generations.

Flake is just trying to go out the hero when in fact he is nothing but a zero.

“I'M AWARE THERE'S A SEGMENT OF MY PARTY THAT ANYTHING SHORT OF COMPLETE AND UNQUESTIONABLE LOYALTY TO A PRESIDENT WHO BELONGS TO MY PARTY IS UNACCEPTABLE AND SUSPECT.

IF I HAVE BEEN CRITICAL IT IS NOT BECAUSE I RELISH CRITICIZING THE BEHAVIOR OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

IF I HAVE BEEN CRITICAL, IT IS BECAUSE I BELIEVE IT IS MY OBLIGATION TO DO SO, AND AS A MATTER AND DUTY OF CONSCIENCE.

THE NOTION THAT ONE SHOULD STAY SILENT AS THE NORMS AND VALUES THAT KEEP AMERICA STRONG ARE UNDERMINED AND THE ALLIANCE ARE ROUTINELY THREATENED BY THE LEVEL OF THOUGHT THAT GOES INTO 140 CHARACTERS.” ibid

There isn’t even a level of thought that goes into 140 characters, it’s the complete absence of thought.

This will only energize the Trumpsters, who are convinced the country is clamoring for a bunch of Donald Trumps, Steve Bannons and Roy Moores running things.

They're as intransigently energized as they possibly can be. Flake's move may be just what's needed to catalyze other reasonable members of the GOP to take action. Truly, when I watched Flake, I wondered whether he was presaging a movement within the GOP to impeach Trump. He didn't go that far, but there was no mistaking the "this has got to be brought to an end" tone and exhortations that must surely sit prominently in his mind.

He's not alone -- I live in D.C. and go to the clubs and cocktail parties where I hear the same sentiments coming from plenty of Republicans, Democrats and embassy staffers who, though not Senators and Representatives, nonetheless pull, work around, influence, etc. the levers of political power -- but clearly the bravery to take a decisive and unequivocal stand has not been widely enough mustered. It hasn't even been mustered by Flake, McCain and others who've been open about their disgust for Donald Trump. None of them is yet willing to publicly propose putting their party as a whole at risk by formally ousting Trump, which is indeed something they could do.

Be that as it may, there are lots of folks, Republicans, Independents and Democrats, who are just waiting for something to drop -- something they can frame as having legitimacy beyond that of grasping at straws -- that will make their commencing the impeachment and removal process not appear to be ideologically vindictive and capricious. I don't know whether that "something" will appear and I don't know whether GOP Congressional leaders will find the balls to send Trump packing on general principle rather than for a specific infraction. But don't let Mueller show up with a legitimate charge for which he wants to prosecute Trump. That may be enough for Ryan and McConnell let impeachment proceedings begin, whereafter it'd really just be a question of whether enough Republicans and Democrats would vote for it.

Last edited:
FLAKE: WE'RE NOT HERE TO SIMPLY MARK TIME. SUSTAINED INCUMBENCY IS CERTAINLY NOT
THE POINT OF SEEKING OFFICE AND THERE ARE TIMES WHEN WE MUST
RISK OUR CAREERS IN FAVOR OF OUR PRINCIPLES.

NOW IS SUCH A TIME.

IT MUST ALSO BE SAID THAT I RISE TODAY WITH NO SMALL
MEASURE OF REGRET, REGRET BECAUSE OF THE STATE OF OUR DISUNION,
REGRET BECAUSE OF THE DISREPAIR AND DESTRUCTIVENESS OF OUR
POLITICS, REGRET BECAUSE OF INDECENCY OF OUR DISCOURSE, REGRET
BECAUSE OF THE LEADERSHIP, REGRET BECAUSE OF THE COMPROMISE OF
OUR MORAL AUTHORITY AND BY ALL, I MEAN ALL OF OUR COMPLICITY
IN THIS -- COMPLICITY IN THIS STATE OF OUR AFFAIRS.

IT IS TIME FOR THAT TO END.

What a bunch of posturing hypocritical blather.

Where were your principles when you lied to the public about wanting to repeal and replace Obamacare?

Where were your principles when the people of the state you supposedly have been serving have been getting flooded with illegal criminal aliens, raping and murdering the citizens of your state?

Flake is just one more profession politician that is losing and can no longer take i up his ass for corporate donations.

Now that he has announced he wont run, all I wish he would do further is just shhut the fuck up and leave with some grace and dignity, but I know he wont because he has none - he is a whore.

IN THIS CENTURY A NEW PHRASE HAS ENTERED THE
LANGUAGE TO DESCRIBE THE ACCOMMODATION OF A NEW AND UNDESIRABLE
ORDER, THAT PHRASE BEING THE NEW NORMAL.THAT WE MUST NEVER
ADJUST TO THE PRESENT COURSENESS OF OUR -- COARSENESS OF OUR
PRESENT DIALOGUE, WE MUST NEVER REGARD AS NORMAL THE CASUAL
UNDERMINING OF OUR DEMOCRATIC IDEALS.

THE PERSONAL ATTACKS, THE THREATS AGAINST PRINCIPLES, FREEDOMS
AND INSTITUTION, THE FLAGRANT DISREGARD FOR TRUTH AND DECENCY,
THE PROVOCATION FOR THE MOST PETTY REASONS, REASONS HAVING
NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FORTUNES OF THE PEOPLE WE HAVE BEEN
ELECTED TO SERVE.NONE-THESE APPALLING FEATURES OF OUR CURRENT
POLITICS SHOULD EVER BE REGARDED AS NORMAL.

WE MUST NEVER ALLOW OURSELVES TO LAPSE INTO THINKING THAT IS
JUST THE WAY THINGS ARE NOW.

IF WE SIMPLY BECOME USED TO CONDITION, THINKING THAT
IT IS JUST POLITICS AS USUAL, THEN HEAVEN HELP US.

WITHOUT FEAR OF THE CONSEQUENCES AND WITHOUT CONSIDERATION
OF THE RULES OF WHAT IS POLITICALLY SAFE, WE MUST STOP PRETENDING
THAT THE CONDUCT OF SOME IN OUR EXECUTIVE BRANCH ARE NORMAL.

THEY ARE NOT NORMAL.

They are certainly normal for DC, it is just that they are usually kept to the back smokey rooms and not said in public. It is the open frankness that is not normal, while the disgusting content has been normal since about the time JFK was assassinated.

RECKLESS, OUTRAGEOUS AND UNDIGNIFIED BEHAVIOR HAS BEEN
EXCUSED AS TELLING IT LIKE IT IS.

IT IS ACTUALLY RECKLESS, OUTRAGEOUS, AND UNDIGNIFIED.WHEN
SUCH BEHAVIOR EMANATES FROM THE TOP OF OUR GOVERNMENT, IT IS
SOMETHING ELSE.

IT IS DANGEROUS TO A DEMOCRACY.

This guy is one of the pigs who has sat on his hands while his voters have languished in stagnant wages, suffered crime at the hands of criminals the federalis had complete power to evict but did not bother, and who have ramped up taxes for fucking ever.

We stand far more risk tolerating show boat do-nothings like Flake who have forgotten that they SERVE WE THE PEOPLE than we will eveer risk from a crude POTUS.

Flake, piss off.

They're as intransigently energized as they possibly can be. Flakes move may be just what's needed to catalyze other reasonable members of the GOP to take action. Truly, when I watched Flake, I wondered whether he was presaging a movement within the GOP to impeach Trump. He didn't go that far, but there was no mistaking the "this has got to be brought to an end" tone and exhortations that must surely sit prominently in his mind.

He's not alone -- I live in D.C. and go to the clubs and cocktail parties where I hear the same sentiments coming from plenty of Republicans, Democrats and embassy staffers who, though not Senators and Representatives, nonetheless pull, work around, influence, etc. the levers of political power -- but clearly the bravery to take a decisive and unequivocal stand has not been widely enough mustered. It hasn't even been mustered by Flake, McCain and others who've been open about their disgust for Donald Trump. None of them is yet willing to publicly propose putting their party as a whole at risk by formally ousting Trump, which is indeed something they could do.

Be that as it may, there are lots of folks, Republicans, Independents and Democrats, who are just waiting for something to drop -- something they can frame as having legitimacy beyond that of grasping at straws -- that will make their commencing the impeachment and removal process not appear to be ideologically vindictive and capricious. I don't know whether that "something" will appear and I don't know whether GOP Congressional leaders will find the balls to send Trump packing on general principle rather than for a specific infraction. But don't let Mueller show up with a legitimate charge he for which wants to prosecute Trump. That may be enough for Ryan and McConnell let impeachment proceedings begin, whereafter it'd really just be a question of whether enough Republicans and Democrats would vote for it.
While I can certainly understand the sentiment, I have a very tough time believing the Republicans would either create or support some attempt at removing him, at least on any significant level.

That's straight up political suicide for them, and I've never known politicians to be principled enough to fall on the sword "for the good of the country", har har.

Of course, there's no way of knowing what's going on in their heads. Surely they know what a shit storm this would create for themselves and their party.

Uh, don't they?

:dunno:

“I'M AWARE THERE'S A SEGMENT OF MY PARTY THAT ANYTHING SHORT OF COMPLETE AND UNQUESTIONABLE LOYALTY TO A PRESIDENT WHO BELONGS TO MY PARTY IS UNACCEPTABLE AND SUSPECT.

IF I HAVE BEEN CRITICAL IT IS NOT BECAUSE I RELISH CRITICIZING THE BEHAVIOR OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

IF I HAVE BEEN CRITICAL, IT IS BECAUSE I BELIEVE IT IS MY OBLIGATION TO DO SO, AND AS A MATTER AND DUTY OF CONSCIENCE.

THE NOTION THAT ONE SHOULD STAY SILENT AS THE NORMS AND VALUES THAT KEEP AMERICA STRONG ARE UNDERMINED AND THE ALLIANCE ARE ROUTINELY THREATENED BY THE LEVEL OF THOUGHT THAT GOES INTO 140 CHARACTERS.” ibid

There isn’t even a level of thought that goes into 140 characters, it’s the complete absence of thought.

Well, yes. That there is no substance to what can, in 140 characters, be said of matters of governance and foreign policy is precisely the point Flake was making. You realize that. I do too. I wonder how many don't. Those who don't are the folks about whom we need be concerned.

I live in D.C. and ....

ahem.....
I know you live within reasonably proximity to D.C. and its close in 'burbs. Are you suggesting that from your network of legislative aides, lobbyists, political strategists, think tank fellows, attaches, media folks, society dames, members of the SES and department deputies/assistant deputies hearing you're hearing different rumblings and observing different forms of frustration with Trump and his ilk than I've alluded to?

The republicrat party is supposed to be the party that opposes global collectivism AKA marxism.

It has failed to do so for decades and Reagan had to drag it kicking and screaming along the way for 8 years only to be replaced by a regressive elitist pig WHO LOST TO CLINTON.

The media forced HIS SON on us who barely beat fucking algore, and that asshole was replaced by a meat puppet faggot.

Now we have a President who isn't even as conservative as Reagan, but the republicrat establishment can not stand the idea of actually having to oppose the regressive globalist agenda.

I'm delighted the pieces of shit who love cocktail parties and rubbing elbows with other globalist sociopaths are bailing out. I never thought Trump would be this successful. I figured he would be all in for the corruption since he had to engage in it in order to avoid their wrath. It looks like the tables have turned. Trump isn't in for this for his own enrichment. He is looking to bring us back to the top of the mound like Reagan did. All these pseudo patriotic regressive republicrats can eat shit and die.

They're as intransigently energized as they possibly can be. Flakes move may be just what's needed to catalyze other reasonable members of the GOP to take action. Truly, when I watched Flake, I wondered whether he was presaging a movement within the GOP to impeach Trump. He didn't go that far, but there was no mistaking the "this has got to be brought to an end" tone and exhortations that must surely sit prominently in his mind.

Be that as it may, there are lots of folks, Republicans, Independents and Democrats, who are just waiting for something to drop -- something they can frame as having legitimacy beyond that of grasping at straws -- that will make their commencing the impeachment and removal process not appear to be ideologically vindictive and capricious. I don't know whether that "something" will appear and I don't know whether GOP Congressional leaders will find the balls to send Trump packing on general principle rather than for a specific infraction. But don't let Mueller show up with a legitimate charge he for which wants to prosecute Trump. That may be enough for Ryan and McConnell let impeachment proceedings begin, whereafter it'd really just be a question of whether enough Republicans and Democrats would vote for it.
While I can certainly understand the sentiment, I have a very tough time believing the Republicans would either create or support some attempt at removing him, at least on any significant level.

That's straight up political suicide for them, and I've never known politicians to be principled enough to fall on the sword "for the good of the country", har har.

Of course, there's no way of knowing what's going on in their heads. Surely they know what a shit storm this would create for themselves and their party.

Uh, don't they?

:dunno:
I've never known politicians to be principled enough to fall on the sword "for the good of the country"... Surely they know what a shit storm this would create for themselves and their party. Uh, don't they?

I haven't either and most certainly they do. That they do is precisely the dilemma they face and are trying to figure out how to solve without imploding the party overall.

I live in D.C. and ....

ahem.....
I know you live within reasonably proximity to D.C. and its close in 'burbs. Are you suggesting that from your network of legislative aides, lobbyists, political strategists, think tank fellows, attaches, media folks, society dames, members of the SES and department deputies/assistant deputies hearing you're hearing different rumblings and observing different forms of frustration with Trump and his ilk than I've alluded to?
No, I would suggest that DC is the biggest echo chamber in the world and you are living in it.

Forum List

Back