🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Trump considers executive order pulling US from NAFTA

Actually, as another poster has pointed out already, there is precedent for it already.
I had reviewed both instances noted and the "precedents" didn't actually fit these particular circumstances which should have been researched by that poster before posting that which deserved no response.

With the Taiwan MDT, Congress never responded to Carter's action as pointed out in Goldwater v. Carter. The Court adjudicated the judicial aspect of the case ONLY and not Carter's action withdrawing from the MDT. That is considerably at odds with this issue and the odds are very high, indeed, that Congress would take action in this case if only from the extreme pressure they would be getting from their constituents.

As far as Bush 43's ABM treaty withdrawal goes, that is another totally different circumstance and contrived "precedent"! First, consider that the ABM treaty was with the USSR and the USSR didn't exist in 2001. Second, at that time in late 2001, Bush notified Russia that the US was taking that action according to the treaty itself. There was a clause in the treaty requiring six notice BEFORE TERMINATION of the treaty. Bush merely followed the agreement and the law AND there was certainly no 'precedent set. in that case!
The fact remains that two presidents withdrew from formal treaties without first consulting Congress and neither Congress nor the Courts took issue with it. That does set a precedent for Trump to withdraw from NAFTA if he chooses to without first consulting Congress.
That's overly simplified bullshit in one case and simple outright bullshit in the other. But if you want to believe that crap, you just go right ahead because I'll go no further with such a closed minded partisan miscreant. Edify thyself!
So what you are saying is that you don't like the fact that there are precedents for the president to withdraw from formal treaties without first consulting Congress.
I'll stay on topic just like you, asshole, following your example.

How did that wife beating trial come out and did the bribe work?
In other words you would stay on topic if you had any idea what the topic was.

...subject to the fact that if we do not reach a fair deal for all, we will then terminate NAFTA. Relationships are good-deal very possible!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 27, 2017

^Straight from the sauce.

This is making HUGE news here in Canada. Hey. I did my part to contact those in the U.S Commerce, USTR, treasury, DOJ regarding Canadian abuses against NAFTA. This AFTER contacting Canadian authorities and even cc'ing them on some of my communication to the Americans...arrogant Canadians never understand consequences until it's too late. They are more than happy to bully, not very pleased when they are bullied.

My American brothers and sisters, save some of us "good" Canadians. We are worth saving and we actually believe in principles of liberty and free markets!

http://nypost.com/2017/04/26/trump-considers-executive-order-pulling-us-from-nafta/

President Trump may sign an executive order that would take the US out of the North American Free Trade Agreement, a new report said Wednesday.

A draft order has been submitted for review and could be unveiled late this week or early next week, Politico reported, citing two White House officials.

President Trump may sign an executive order that would take the US out of the North American Free Trade Agreement, a new report said Wednesday.

A draft order has been submitted for review and could be unveiled late this week or early next week, Politico reported, citing two White House officials.
If Mr. Trump sign that executive order Canada and Mexico will be very upset icon_omg.gif

This is making HUGE news here in Canada. Hey. I did my part to contact those in the U.S Commerce, USTR, treasury, DOJ regarding Canadian abuses against NAFTA. This AFTER contacting Canadian authorities and even cc'ing them on some of my communication to the Americans...arrogant Canadians never understand consequences until it's too late. They are more than happy to bully, not very pleased when they are bullied.

My American brothers and sisters, save some of us "good" Canadians. We are worth saving and we actually believe in principles of liberty and free markets!

http://nypost.com/2017/04/26/trump-considers-executive-order-pulling-us-from-nafta/

If Mr. Trump sign that executive order Canada and Mexico will be very upset View attachment 123573

Umm, he's talking with them today, adjusting things. ;)

Most likely NAFTA will not be scrapped, just the US will get a better deal.

1 sec.. Oh man, Israel just bombed
a Syrian air base. :(
Trump agrees to renegotiate NAFTA with Canada, Mexico – for now

Last edited:

You sure? I'm getting dizzy. This a.m. I heard Trump had 'backed off' leaving NAFTA.

You sure? I'm getting dizzy. This a.m. I heard Trump had 'backed off' leaving NAFTA.
Its that stupid 'Atlantic' again probably. He said he was going to try to renegotiate first.
You should look for videos of HIM talking or official WH releases.
Granted, his word doesn't mean shit but at least you will know what his current plans are.

Its that stupid 'Atlantic' again probably. He said he was going to try to renegotiate first.
Granted, his word doesn't mean shit but at least you will know what his current plans are.
With the efforts to repeal and replace Obamacare nearing a vote and his tax reforms about to become the subject of hot debate, this would definitely be the wrong time to start a debate about withdrawing from NAFTA.

With the efforts to repeal and replace Obamacare nearing a vote and his tax reforms about to become the subject of hot debate, this would definitely be the wrong time to start a debate about withdrawing from NAFTA.
you make a good point. But if that's what it was, why did he say he wanted to renegotiate?

you make a good point. But if that's what it was, why did he say he wanted to renegotiate?
I believe he has always said he wants to renegotiate NAFTA and if that fails he will withdraw.

Forum List

Back