Trump Deal - details, reactions and development on the ground

Trump Deal - applicable or not?

• Yes (after hearing details)

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • No (after hearing details)

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
Oh here we go again denying homelands. How predictable. We just can't seem to move beyond accepting the fact that this area is the homeland to two different sets of people and therein lies the problem.

Arabs couldn't accept Israel's revival,
demanding domination over the entire middle east.

The problem lies in the fact they can't understand land belongs to a people, not otherwise.
And this land belongs to only one people, and in fact one of the longest records in history of a connection between a people and its land.

What do Arabs have, forging a name the meaning of which they don't even know?

And that view is exactly the problem.

Exactly how?
Maybe that's the remedy.

When a land that belongs to multiple peoples who view the land as belonging to only one of them - it creates problems for the other peoples who feel it is their land as well.

More like Arabs want domination over the entire middle east, Israel says 'nah, this 1% is mine and has my name written on it, I will never inherit with You, and You will never eat me up, ever."

Now back to the theme of the thread,
do you start realizing how a century of zero sum game is now turning on the Arabs?

On the first - I disagree in what you said that it only belongs to one people.

On the second - yes, I agree, and in line with that they need to stop holding the refugees hostage and allow them to integrate into their states or, to Palestine should that be achieved. You can't continue keeping people in limbo like that to serve political purposes.

This article is heavy on rhetoric and light on substance. ("Wild-eyed Zionist fanatics" pah-leeze, can we order up some credible journalism, here?)

About the only sentence which even TRIES to discuss the plan is this one:

The envisaged Palestinian entity ... lacks any trappings of statehood: Sovereignty, contiguous territories, a capital, control of borders, armed forces, etc.

What counter-offers could Palestine make to solve these vague complaints? What else is needed to meet the criteria of sovereignty? How can the territories be made contiguous? What is needed in order for a city to be a capital? What is meant by "control of borders"? What sort of armed forces? Also items she forgot to mention, but should have: control over airspace, control over territorial waters.

Before you go all, "But Palestine MUST have a military or else!" on me, a couple things. There are 21 countries in the world with no armed forces, either by choice or by restriction from another State. So no, she doesn't have to have a military. Also, remember this is a PEACE Accord. The base assumption is that the two States agree not to attack each other and that peace is in the BEST INTERESTS of BOTH Parties. Going all Gaza after signing a peace agreement is going to be BAD for the Palestinians. And it will be the responsibility of Palestine to DEMONSTRATE its peaceful nature by agreeing to be monitored by Israel and actively working to prevent the importation of weapons, terrorism, "freedom fighting" and playing the happy little martyrs game.

I agree with you on this - Palestine does not have to have a military and it's important to keep in mind that this agreement is coming off of a defensive war which Israel won. It seems reminds me of the agreements we made with Japan after WW2. No military. I think that is good point to keep.
Palestine does not have to have a military and it's important to keep in mind that this agreement is coming off of a defensive war which Israel won.
Which war was that?

What war did the Palestinians lose?

Every war they waged in Israel...

I agree with you on this - Palestine does not have to have a military and it's important to keep in mind that this agreement is coming off of a defensive war which Israel won. It seems reminds me of the agreements we made with Japan after WW2. No military. I think that is good point to keep.
Palestine does not have to have a military and it's important to keep in mind that this agreement is coming off of a defensive war which Israel won.
Which war was that?

They in conjunction with the Arab states lost the war against the state of Israel. The plain fact is - Israel is not going away. And for the Palestinians rights and ability to live prosperously and peacefully, that needs to be recognized so something can actually happen to allow the Palestinians to come into their own and define themselves by something other than conflict.

At some point, if you care about the Palestinians AS a people, with rights and a homeland, you need to recognize this and recognize that this is a shared homeland.

So Israel isn't going away. It won't dissolve nor should it. How can the international community help the Palestinians realize a future?
They in conjunction with the Arab states lost the war against the state of Israel.
Palestine never had an army. They never attacked Israel.

They were not part of the1948 war.

You don't need a standing army to wage war or attack. Witness ISIS and Al Queda (not that I am comparing their actions to the Palestinian) - but the point is attack and defense isn't dependent on the traditional army.
The Palestinians were virtually all unarmed civilians attacked by Israel's military that included WWII military equipment.
The Palis were never attacked; perhaps that’s why there are 6 million of them at the moment.

The problem lies in the fact they can't understand land belongs to a people, not otherwise.
And this land belongs to only one people, and in fact one of the longest records in history of a connection between a people and its land.

Exactly how?
Maybe that's the remedy.

When a land that belongs to multiple peoples who view the land as belonging to only one of them - it creates problems for the other peoples who feel it is their land as well.
Does the land belong to the native population or to foreign settlers?

Most "Palestinians" came from Arab countries as recent settlers after the Zionists created more employment opportunities. They are not "native" to the land or descended from the now-defunct Canaanites. On the other hand, Israelis speak the same language that was spoken 2,000 years ago, as well as use the same currency (proven by archaeology), and celebrate the same national holidays. Most Arabacized names of the cities and towns in Israel and Judea (or the West Bank) come from the Hebrew. So Jews aren't "foreign" to Israel.

Actually, thought there was SOME Arab immigration for jobs there is nothing to show that "most" came for that purpose. Neither group is foreign.

Which war was that?

They in conjunction with the Arab states lost the war against the state of Israel. The plain fact is - Israel is not going away. And for the Palestinians rights and ability to live prosperously and peacefully, that needs to be recognized so something can actually happen to allow the Palestinians to come into their own and define themselves by something other than conflict.

At some point, if you care about the Palestinians AS a people, with rights and a homeland, you need to recognize this and recognize that this is a shared homeland.

So Israel isn't going away. It won't dissolve nor should it. How can the international community help the Palestinians realize a future?
They in conjunction with the Arab states lost the war against the state of Israel.

Correct, because they were never a country.
Unsubstantiated Israeli talking point.

Well, I was just responding to your statement that Palestine never had an army. Most countries have armies. Even Vatican City has the Swiss guards.

Which war was that?

You don't need a standing army to wage war or attack. Witness ISIS and Al Queda (not that I am comparing their actions to the Palestinian) - but the point is attack and defense isn't dependent on the traditional army.
The Palestinians were virtually all unarmed civilians attacked by Israel's military that included WWII military equipment.

A new edition of the '1000 and One Nights of Arabia'?
Somehow your anecdotes didn't prevent Arabs from massacring Jews.

Which war was that?

Which war was that?

What time period are you talking about ?

That is where it get's difficult. And here is why, imo:

Some of those communities (settlements) were built in areas that had had traditionally Jewish populations driven out through conflict.

Some of those communities are now multigenerational.

Some of those communities are legally bought land.

Some of those communities are mere "outposts" with a handful of people and tents (not necessarily legal in Israel's courts).

Some of those communities are on questionably or even illegally obtained land.

Given that - at what point do you justify expelling civilians? How do you decide? If you expel them...does Israel have the right to expel Arabs?

My opinion is in the case of 1,2 and 3 involuntary expulsion would be criminal.

In the case of 4 and 5 courts should decide.

No, that's not "difficult", it's mere whataboutery of no value other than for the purpose of hasbara. Injecting one's own population into occupied territory is illegal. It is no less illegal just because it's long standing. No occupier can "legally" buy occupied land. Israel is at fault here, and has to correct it (or otherwise hope to get an agreement on land swaps). That has been confirmed again, and again, and again.

Exactly how?
Maybe that's the remedy.

Most "Palestinians" came from Arab countries as recent settlers after the Zionists created more employment opportunities. They are not "native" to the land or descended from the now-defunct Canaanites. On the other hand, Israelis speak the same language that was spoken 2,000 years ago, as well as use the same currency (proven by archaeology), and celebrate the same national holidays. Most Arabacized names of the cities and towns in Israel and Judea (or the West Bank) come from the Hebrew. So Jews aren't "foreign" to Israel.

Actually, thought there was SOME Arab immigration for jobs there is nothing to show that "most" came for that purpose. Neither group is foreign.

Except the one who has actually written INVADER on the forehead,
and marches under the flag of 4 various Caliphates that invaded several continents.

Who would that be?

What would the US say if someone wanted to hack off everything west of the Mississippi and give it to foreign settlers?

On the other hand, what would the US have a right to say about "hacking off" pieces of the US for First Nations sovereignty and self-determination. No one is buying your crap about "foreign settlers".

Abbas' leadership is not very strong and he is not very popular.

I think parts of the Arab world is maturing in the area of world wide geo-politics and economies. I think they realize making peace with Israel is in everyone's best interest. IMO only. But seeing the refugees from the conflicts in Iraq and Syria, the growth of much more sophisticated terrorist ideologies that are destabilizing to themselves. I don't know...

Exactly. But Abbas is likely to be replaced by someone MORE extremist, rather than less. Which leaves us, what? Iran, Hezbollah, Hamas, West Bank on the one side and Israel, Saudia Arabia, UAE, Bahrain, Oman on the other and a WHOLE LOT of wishy washy. I'd hope Egypt and Jordan are smart enough well, not to be stupid.

Exactly how?
Maybe that's the remedy.

More like Arabs want domination over the entire middle east, Israel says 'nah, this 1% is mine and has my name written on it, I will never inherit with You, and You will never eat me up, ever."

Now back to the theme of the thread,
do you start realizing how a century of zero sum game is now turning on the Arabs?

On the first - I disagree in what you said that it only belongs to one people.

On the second - yes, I agree, and in line with that they need to stop holding the refugees hostage and allow them to integrate into their states or, to Palestine should that be achieved. You can't continue keeping people in limbo like that to serve political purposes.

The problem is,
in the failure to understand the connection between the 1st and the 2nd statements.
That's is a reverse cause and result.

They wanted to submit the entire region to Islam, now submit to the only non-Muslim one.
They insisted there could be no partition, eventually it is all Israel.

Last edited:
That is where it get's difficult. And here is why, imo:

Some of those communities (settlements) were built in areas that had had traditionally Jewish populations driven out through conflict.

Some of those communities are now multigenerational.

Some of those communities are legally bought land.

Some of those communities are mere "outposts" with a handful of people and tents (not necessarily legal in Israel's courts).

Some of those communities are on questionably or even illegally obtained land.

Given that - at what point do you justify expelling civilians? How do you decide? If you expel them...does Israel have the right to expel Arabs?

My opinion is in the case of 1,2 and 3 involuntary expulsion would be criminal.

In the case of 4 and 5 courts should decide.

No, that's not "difficult", it's mere whataboutery of no value other than for the purpose of hasbara. Injecting one's own population into occupied territory is illegal. It is no less illegal just because it's long standing. No occupier can "legally" buy occupied land. Israel is at fault here, and has to correct it (or otherwise hope to get an agreement on land swaps). That has been confirmed again, and again, and again.

Injecting one's own population into occupied territory is illegal. It is no less illegal just because it's long standing.

I agree. Can we get all the Muslims to fit back into Saudi Arabia?

So, what would be different than what we have now?

With respect specifically to military concerns? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Because there is no way in hell Israel is going to allow Arab Palestine to be be Gaza-ified in any peace deal. Tried that once. Israel learns from her mistakes.

BUT, it will allow Palestine to develop peaceful institutions with full sovereignty other than the military restrictions, and eventually, an end to Israel's military supervision.

My thought is that if Palestine insists on having military capabilities, its clear she is not ready for Statehood.

Agree with you here...and the idea of a single bulky centralized state is from our modern idea of what a nation state should look like. And maybe it's time to ignore that.

But the second part - not sure about. What powers would be excluded from this?

For Arabs in the Middle East, the "nation state" was an option of last resort to KICK OUT lingering Imperialism.. It's NOT and never will be their preferred pol. model.. And the frictions that the Pali on the street have with the PA is that it's not a "friendly interface" to government when you're concerned about taxation, or licensing or zoning laws.. ALL of that should be on as local a level as possible and MAYBE NOT be "uniform" throughout the Pali centers of living.. It's that UNIFORMITY that a central govt tries to asserts that rubs them the wrong way..

Me TOO for that matter.. THat's why our Constitution clearly spelled out the ONLY MATTERS that would fall to the Federal govt with all other decisions delegated to the states and towns respectively.. It's the same kind of starting point as we had...

Not for me to decide how much "freedom and autonomy" they cede to their "national govt" or federation.. But the ones I listed make SENSE to handle at that level..

I think that is what was also bothering me, but I couldn't clearly identify it, and was thinking more in that they don't have direct access to major rivers, their own ports or other borders....trade is awfully dependent on going through Israel.

Yep.. 80 pages, a bunch of map analytics, and not much in the way of CONNECTING the Palis to their fractured selves or the world.. Which is why I'm pitching a highway in my paper that CONNECTS all the pali city centers AND the neighboring Arab states (thru proper ports of entry)...

Palestine Trade Zone Highway Concept.png

Highway is mostly built over EXISTING roads along the Jordan River with PARTS of it on the Jordan side. Also has a feeder to Egypt going thru EXISTING ports of entry for custom... NO connection to Gaza or Lebanon YET -- but depending on people coming to their senses and SMELLING the prosperity, maybe soon in the future...

This is WELL WITHIN the large scope of "economic development" that Trump plan was promising.. But it was NOT part of "the deal".... Total miles of constructed (not future) road is under about 200 miles long..

Exactly how?
Maybe that's the remedy.

Most "Palestinians" came from Arab countries as recent settlers after the Zionists created more employment opportunities.
Israeli bullshit, of course. The Zionists kept economic improvements to themselves.

Exactly how?
Maybe that's the remedy.

Most "Palestinians" came from Arab countries as recent settlers after the Zionists created more employment opportunities.
Israeli bullshit, of course. The Zionists kept economic improvements to themselves.

Actually, he is absolutely correct. You simply cannot handle the truth, as usual. Your take on Israel - "Palestine" history in extremely distorted Tinmore.

If we are ever going to resolve this conflict, we are going to need to dispel these errors.

There is no occupation.

It is not illegal for people to migrate into their own sovereign territory or into disputed territory or even into other's sovereign territory. (See Western Sahara, Cyprus, Timore-Leste, Azerbaijan)

No population in these circumstances has EVER been required to be forcibly displaced.

Private ownership is not sovereignty. (People who buy land can not be forced from their residence.)

BTW Tinmore, aren't you tired of losing literally EVERY single arguments/debate?

I mean, I don't think you've been correct one single time when posting about the Israel-Palestine conflict.....

It's not a "not real" problem because no matter what the logistics of it ARE problematic. So to shuffle it off as a "not real" problem is in my opinion unreal.

Just for reference can you think of any other country that has had to deal with something like this in terms of borders?

Okay, so I've been using "not a real problem" quite a bit. (Though I think rylah actually said it first). Perhaps I should explain what I mean by that.

"Not a real problem" is code for things that one side or the other uses to shut down negotiations, rather than being either a practical problem which needs to be solved, or being a position which is strongly held by either of the Parties for reasons of national importance.

Contiguity is one such "not a real problem". As long as people can freely travel in their own States and not have to cross international borders to get to work, then its not a real problem. (And its actually an improvement over today's situation). It just needs a work around. The reason it is presented as a "real problem" when it is not is to continue to give credence to the demonizing notion of "apartheid". Its a way of keeping up the complaints when there is a perfectly reasonable solution to the problem.

Sovereignty over the Jordan Valley is a real problem. From the Israeli side, its a real security problem. 3 minute response times to incoming rockets, for example. Long border with no control over weapons smuggling. From the Palestinian side, it limits trade and agriculture. Real problem.

Make sense?

If Jordan has "skin in the game" to make this work, there'll be no end in cooperating to secure that border. Same with Egypt. Israel needs IDF outposts and routes to the borders.. THey will NO LONGER NEED to do policing with the military and some of those "settlement areas" that are IDF policing outposts, might eventually close..

Forum List

Back