Trump doesn't trust China on North Korea. can we have our tariffs now?

I don't know of any airline in America that flies an Air Bus, so I don't know what your point is. Also, I have no idea who builds German transmissions, but I do know that I can not afford to buy a BMW, so maybe that is because they charge tariffs on Mexican transmissions. I do know that they build VW's in Mexico, so if you want to make that unaffordable to Americans, too, just slap tariffs on that as well. Beats hell out of me why you want to pay more for products that include Mexican parts. maybe you are not on fixed income like everyone in America who is retired. A tariff is nothing but a tax with a different name

More jobs for Americans.

I don't know of any airline in America that flies an Air Bus, so I don't know what your point is. Also, I have no idea who builds German transmissions, but I do know that I can not afford to buy a BMW, so maybe that is because they charge tariffs on Mexican transmissions. I do know that they build VW's in Mexico, so if you want to make that unaffordable to Americans, too, just slap tariffs on that as well. Beats hell out of me why you want to pay more for products that include Mexican parts. maybe you are not on fixed income like everyone in America who is retired. A tariff is nothing but a tax with a different name

More jobs for Americans.

A simplistic solution which will not work. Take textiles for example. Under no circumstances would those jobs ever return to the USA. They left decades ago, and they are not coming back. I think that the last television set was manufactured in the USA in the 1980's. Not to mention that the Mexicans would retaliate, and stop buying wheat from the Midwest farmers, which would ruin the economies of places like Kansas and Nebraska. And, as I said before, artificially manipulating prices through tariffs never works in the long run. It is also worthy of note that the entire world were applying tariffs and retaliatory tariffs in 1928 and 1929. The Great Depression was not just in the USA. It was world wide.

More jobs for Americans.

A simplistic solution which will not work. Take textiles for example. Under no circumstances would those jobs ever return to the USA. They left decades ago, and they are not coming back. I think that the last television set was manufactured in the USA in the 1980's. Not to mention that the Mexicans would retaliate, and stop buying wheat from the Midwest farmers, which would ruin the economies of places like Kansas and Nebraska. And, as I said before, artificially manipulating prices through tariffs never works in the long run. It is also worthy of note that the entire world were applying tariffs and retaliatory tariffs in 1928 and 1929. The Great Depression was not just in the USA. It was world wide.

It is not the solution. You asked why. I gave you the reason, the goal.

More jobs for Americans.

We were discussion cars. Why do you want to change the example? Is it too hard to pretend that we can't make cars in America?

OUr trade rivals are targeting EVERY FREAKING JOB THAT THEY CAN.

You mentioned Airplanes as something we CAN do, yet you ignored when I posted a reference to a WTO ruling about Airbus predatory trade practices.

More jobs for Americans.

More jobs for Americans.

We were discussion cars. Why do you want to change the example? Is it too hard to pretend that we can't make cars in America?

You mentioned Airplanes as something we CAN do, yet you ignored when I posted a reference to a WTO ruling about Airbus predatory trade practices.
Vandals is a Neo-Con due to his portfolio.

More jobs for Americans.

The Great Depression was not caused by Tariffs.

More jobs for Americans.

More jobs for Americans.

I don't care about Airbus, because to my knowledge, nobody in America buys them, so a tariff is not an issue. If I am wrong about that, let me know.

Your automobile is made up of probably 5,000 assembled parts. As an example, i am pretty sure that nobody in America manufactures starter motors anymore. Therefor, every car for sale in this country has a foreign made starter motor.It is not as if you can boycott a car that has a foreign made starter motor. The alternative to you is to not buy a new car at all. All that does is put your local Ford dealer out of business. I am sure that you will argue that a tariff will encourage someone in America to start manufacturing starter motors. Good luck with that, with Mexican and Chinese labor costing about 15% to 20% of American labor.

More jobs for Americans.

The Great Depression was not caused by Tariffs.

http://www.people.vcu.edu/~lrazzolini/GR2001.pdf

Trade barriers and the collapse of world trade during the great depression.

More jobs for Americans.

More jobs for Americans.

Vandals is a Neo-Con due to his portfolio.

i see that you are still trying to pigeonhole me, in spite of the fact that you really know nothing about me. For example, my portfolio has been 100% cash for the last 4 months.

More jobs for Americans.

More jobs for Americans.

I don't care about Airbus, because to my knowledge, nobody in America buys them, so a tariff is not an issue. If I am wrong about that, let me know.

Your automobile is made up of probably 5,000 assembled parts. As an example, i am pretty sure that nobody in America manufactures starter motors anymore. Therefor, every car for sale in this country has a foreign made starter motor.It is not as if you can boycott a car that has a foreign made starter motor. The alternative to you is to not buy a new car at all. All that does is put your local Ford dealer out of business. I am sure that you will argue that a tariff will encourage someone in America to start manufacturing starter motors. Good luck with that, with Mexican and Chinese labor costing about 15% to 20% of American labor.

So, you just gave up on foreign sales of Planes, even though I mentioned a WTO ruling finding that the EU was cheating.

And that's standard for any trade discussion in this country.

"Free Traders" say that we should focus on what we are good at and just give up what we are not.

IF we lose market share, then they just add that item to what we are good at.

They NEVER seem to care if the reason we lost is because we weren't good at it, or if somebody was cheating us.

THis is not a policy crafted with ANY concern for the American working man.

NOr sustainable. We can give up every time someone makes a move on our market share. We have to have a policy to defend ourselves, one way or another.

Forum List

Back