Trump: ‘Hundreds more’ would have been killed in Texas with stricter gun laws

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017

"President Trump on Tuesday said “hundreds more” would have died in the mass shooting at a Texas church had the citizen who pursued the suspect not possessed a gun.

Trump was asked during a press conference in South Korea whether or not the president would consider “extreme vetting” for purchasing a gun.

“If you did what you're suggesting, there would have been no difference three days ago, and you might not have had that very brave person who happened to have a gun or a rifle in his truck go out and shoot him, and hit him and neutralize him,” Trump said.
“And I can only say this: If he didn’t have a gun, instead of having 26 dead, you would have had hundreds more dead. So that's the way I feel about it. Not going to help.”"

Apparently Trump can tell the future now--and know what the shooter was going to do.

I take nothing away from those brave men who shot and pursued the shooter. But Trump is clearly pandering to his base here--taking one incident and using it to justify not tightening gun control..like closing the gun show loophole or mandating background checks for every transfer of weapon..sale OR gift..is ingenuous at best.

I have a rifle in my truck..and a pistol in my coat---and tightening gun laws, as I suggest, would not change that in the least. Unless Trump is saying that the hero who shot this monster had an illegal weapon..tighter gun laws would not have changed that either.

He could very well be correct.
There is no need to justify not making more gun control. Freedom isnt free. No need to knee jerk our rights away every time some asswipe wants to abuse his freedoms and take it out on innocent people.

There is no need to justify not making more gun control. Freedom isnt free. No need to knee jerk our rights away every time some asswipe wants to abuse his freedoms and take it out on innocent people.
How would closing the gun show loophole be 'jerking our rights away'?

"President Trump on Tuesday said “hundreds more” would have died in the mass shooting at a Texas church had the citizen who pursued the suspect not possessed a gun.

Trump was asked during a press conference in South Korea whether or not the president would consider “extreme vetting” for purchasing a gun.

“If you did what you're suggesting, there would have been no difference three days ago, and you might not have had that very brave person who happened to have a gun or a rifle in his truck go out and shoot him, and hit him and neutralize him,” Trump said.
“And I can only say this: If he didn’t have a gun, instead of having 26 dead, you would have had hundreds more dead. So that's the way I feel about it. Not going to help.”"

Apparently Trump can tell the future now--and know what the shooter was going to do.

I take nothing away from those brave men who shot and pursued the shooter. But Trump is clearly pandering to his base here--taking one incident and using it to justify not tightening gun control..like closing the gun show loophole or mandating background checks for every transfer of weapon..sale OR gift..is ingenuous at best.

I have a rifle in my truck..and a pistol in my coat---and tightening gun laws, as I suggest, would not change that in the least. Unless Trump is saying that the hero who shot this monster had an illegal weapon..tighter gun laws would not have changed that either.
Trump isn't pandering.
This is what he believes.

So now common sense and using facts, combined with logic is now telling the future?:laugh:

What is that?

Weapons purchased at a gun show..or purchased privately, are exempt from background checks, waiting periods or ID.
Gun show loophole - Wikipedia

Under federal law, private-party sellers are not required to perform background checks on buyers, whether at a gun show or other venue. They also are not required to record the sale, or ask for identification. This requirement is in contrast to sales by gun stores and other Federal Firearms License (FFL) holders who are required to record all sales and perform background checks on almost all buyers, regardless of whether the venue is their business location or a gun show. Access to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) is limited to FFL holders and FFLs are not issued to persons that only sell firearms at gun shows.[n 1]

Since the mid-1990s, gun control advocates have voiced concern over the perceived loophole in legislation, and campaigned to require background checks and record-keeping for all gun sales. Contrarily, gun rights advocates have stated that there is no loophole, that current laws provide a single, uniform set of rules for commercial gun sellers regardless of the place of sale, and that no part of the United States Constitution empowers the federal government to regulate non-commercial, intrastate transfers of legal firearms types between private citizens.[5]

So now common sense and using facts, combined with logic is now telling the future?:laugh:

If the Gun show loophole was closed...it would have made no difference at all to how this played out. But it might make a significant difference in keeping weapons out of criminals hands.

Trump isn't pandering.

Fair enough..I'm not sure just what Trump believes..as it seems to change...according to his needs and circumstance.

One will notice on these gun grabber sponsored threads........no progressive can come up with one single constructive idea that would reduce these type of incidents. Not one. Its a thinking fuck up......they truly believe you can eradicate every problem if you tinker enough with the institutions in government. They cant comprehend that life is about.........always.......accepting necessary tradeoffs. I always wonder how these people can navigate life with that kind of thinking!!:up:

looks like you are losing your battle , at least for now and i'm happy to see that , just a comment EEye !!

What is that?

Weapons purchased at a gun show..or purchased privately, are exempt from background checks, waiting periods or ID.
Gun show loophole - Wikipedia

Under federal law, private-party sellers are not required to perform background checks on buyers, whether at a gun show or other venue. They also are not required to record the sale, or ask for identification. This requirement is in contrast to sales by gun stores and other Federal Firearms License (FFL) holders who are required to record all sales and perform background checks on almost all buyers, regardless of whether the venue is their business location or a gun show. Access to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) is limited to FFL holders and FFLs are not issued to persons that only sell firearms at gun shows.[n 1]

Since the mid-1990s, gun control advocates have voiced concern over the perceived loophole in legislation, and campaigned to require background checks and record-keeping for all gun sales. Contrarily, gun rights advocates have stated that there is no loophole, that current laws provide a single, uniform set of rules for commercial gun sellers regardless of the place of sale, and that no part of the United States Constitution empowers the federal government to regulate non-commercial, intrastate transfers of legal firearms types between private citizens.[5]
Oh that LOL
How is it a gun show loophole?
IMO, considering the LAW, that is just ignorant rhetoric. ALL dealers must use background checks.
Trying to eliminate private arm deals are bullshit.
Maybe you could show me this would help anything? Examples?

If the Gun show loophole was closed...it would have made no difference at all to how this played out. But it might make a significant difference in keeping weapons out of criminals hands.

This is what I am talking about........holy fuck! Just a pronounced level of cluelessness!!

s0n.......you need to go back to People.com for blogging purposes!!:coffee:

Trump isn't pandering.

Fair enough..I'm not sure just what Trump believes..as it seems to change...according to his needs and circumstance.
That's your opinion.

And you know what they say about opinions.

They end up on CNN.

One will notice on these gun grabber sponsored threads........no progressive can come up with one single constructive idea that would reduce these type of incidents. Not one. Its a thinking fuck up......they truly believe you can eradicate every problem if you tinker enough with the institutions in government. They cant comprehend that life is about.........always.......accepting necessary tradeoffs. I always wonder how these people can navigate life with that kind of thinking!!:up:

You ignorant douche..how is this a 'gun grabber thread'? Did you even read the posts? I totally support the 2nd--I just want to keep guns out of the hands of criminal and crazies.

I can see how that might impact you..ignorant, knee-jerk imbecile that you clearly are.

The only thing progressive about me...is the strong desire for a law that would keep stupid people from breeding.
iu

You ignorant douche..how is this a 'gun grabber thread'? Did you even read the posts? I totally support the 2nd--I just want to keep guns out of the hands of criminal and crazies.

I can see how that might impact you..ignorant, knee-jerk imbecile that you clearly are.

The only thing progressive about me...is the strong desire for a law that would keep stupid people from breeding.
iu

Whatever you say s0n!!:popcorn:But needing some lessons in "Connect the Dots"!. C'mon now....:bye1:

Forum List

Back