Trump's Behavior Towards Europe

Jay Zepher

Aug 21, 2020
Trump's behavior at times does irk me not because of his ideas which are usually spot on, but because of the way he presents them, which is not very presidential. But hey, that's just my opinion. Perhaps his manner or behavior is truly necessary given the ferocity of his opposition. I just wish he was more subtle. A good role model to follow is a long gone republican president, Teddy Roosevelt, who said, "speak softly and carry a big stick."
It is not always a good idea to let everyone know what you are thinking, much less planning. Trump speaks loudly and let's everyone know what he's thinking. Rather than the cool and calculated Michael Corleone, Trump is more like the loud and brash Sonny Corleone who got shot over and over because his enemies knew just how he would react. Despots like Putin are keen to take advantage of that and won't let the opportunity pass. And on that note, telling our European allies they'll be on their own and Russia can do whatever they want may sound good to the average American who knows little about Europe and may even dislike Europeans, but this is music to Putin's ears, even if Trump was only bluffing. The reason for that should be obvious: WORLD WAR I, WORLD WAR II, and- God forbid - the upcoming WORLD WAR III.
NO. Europe cannot be left on its own, even if they're not paying their share of their debt to NATO. They have a very bad track record for every time we turn our backs on them like we did before WWI to focus on domestic issues until the the sinking of American ships by U-boats and the The Zimmerman Telegram in 1917 and before WWII to focus on the Great Depression until Pearl Harbor. So, just as in WWI & WWII, if we turn our backs on Europe AGAIN, we'll be right back in Europe AGAIN! This time with nuclear weapons, Putin's against ours and nobody wins.
If it's bad now paying for most of NATO and Ukraine, it'll be a hundred times worse if Russia takes Europe because that in itself will trigger a nuclear holocaust.
So, I do want our Teflon republican, Trump, to win the general election as the US won't survive another four years under Biden, as if he'd survive anyway. I just hope Trump is bluffing and that he realizes Europe is not a business. Global politics in the nuclear age with a deceptively passive Europe is much more tricky and dangerous than a business deal. Europe is deceptive because it is actually quite volatile, as it was before World War I. When you pull on a thread in Europe the whole thing comes apart and brings the world down with it.
That thread which is stopping that from happening is NATO and more importantly, the US.

Trump's behavior at times does irk me not because of his ideas which are usually spot on, but because of the way he presents them, which is not very presidential. But hey, that's just my opinion. Perhaps his manner or behavior is truly necessary given the ferocity of his opposition. I just wish he was more subtle. A good role model to follow is a long gone republican president, Teddy Roosevelt, who said, "speak softly and carry a big stick."
It is not always a good idea to let everyone know what you are thinking, much less planning. Trump speaks loudly and let's everyone know what he's thinking. Rather than the cool and calculated Michael Corleone, Trump is more like the loud and brash Sonny Corleone who got shot over and over because his enemies knew just how he would react. Despots like Putin are keen to take advantage of that and won't let the opportunity pass. And on that note, telling our European allies they'll be on their own and Russia can do whatever they want may sound good to the average American who knows little about Europe and may even dislike Europeans, but this is music to Putin's ears, even if Trump was only bluffing. The reason for that should be obvious: WORLD WAR I, WORLD WAR II, and- God forbid - the upcoming WORLD WAR III.
NO. Europe cannot be left on its own, even if they're not paying their share of their debt to NATO. They have a very bad track record for every time we turn our backs on them like we did before WWI to focus on domestic issues until the the sinking of American ships by U-boats and the The Zimmerman Telegram in 1917 and before WWII to focus on the Great Depression until Pearl Harbor. So, just as in WWI & WWII, if we turn our backs on Europe AGAIN, we'll be right back in Europe AGAIN! This time with nuclear weapons, Putin's against ours and nobody wins.
If it's bad now paying for most of NATO and Ukraine, it'll be a hundred times worse if Russia takes Europe because that in itself will trigger a nuclear holocaust.
So, I do want our Teflon republican, Trump, to win the general election as the US won't survive another four years under Biden, as if he'd survive anyway. I just hope Trump is bluffing and that he realizes Europe is not a business. Global politics in the nuclear age with a deceptively passive Europe is much more tricky and dangerous than a business deal. Europe is deceptive because it is actually quite volatile, as it was before World War I. When you pull on a thread in Europe the whole thing comes apart and brings the world down with it.
That thread which is stopping that from happening is NATO and more importantly, the US.
obama and brennan hatched the russia hoax and planned an admins demise......those 2 should be shot to death for treason by a military firing squad

what is "presidential"?

Apparently, THIS is presidential:

joe-biden-falling.gif

joe-biden-falling-up-stairs-896953464.gif

Russia will celebrate.

Actually, they probably won't...

... Trump is making NATO stronger with nothing more than a speech at a rally. I bet you would sh Biden could pull that off...lol

~~~~~~
So how would you have Trump make his point?
Granted he lacks the bureaucratic/political, snake oil salesman's tongue.
But damn it he's right on the money.
That goes especially for NATO. NATO has reliad on U.S. funds, materiel and our military to protect them for 75 years. and never increased their military capab;ities. There are exceptions of course like Poland, and perhaps two or three other nations.
Then there's the UN, chock full of terrorists running around the UN Building, doing little but living off the U.S.
I am well aware of their actions because I lived for more than 20 years in an apartment complex in Flushing where at least 30 to 40 UN foreign employees lived.

~~~~~~
So how would you have Trump make his point?
Granted he lacks the bureaucratic/political, snake oil salesman's tongue.
But damn it he's right on the money.
That goes especially for NATO. NATO has reliad on U.S. funds, materiel and our military to protect them for 75 years. and never increased their military capab;ities. There are exceptions of course like Poland, and perhaps two or three other nations.
Then there's the UN, chock full of terrorists running around the UN Building, doing little but living off the U.S.
I am well aware of their actions because I lived for more than 20 years in an apartment complex in Flushing where at least 30 to 40 UN foreign employees lived.
I don't disagree with all that. NATO hasn't paid it's share and perhaps Trump has to shock the Europeans into paying, but if he's not bluffing and is serious about letting Russia take Europe what do you think will happen?
Maybe the Europeans give in and pay and this will prove a great Trump strategy.
Maybe they don't and Trump does what he says and WWIII happens because Russia sweeps into Eastern Europe while the UK and France try to stop a NATO member, Poland, from falling to Russia as it did in 1939, but unlike 1939 and unlike Eastern Europe, both the UK and France have nuclear weapons. The US will not sit by with a nuclear war in Europe and nuclear fallout potentially effecting the world, so we'll end up in Europe anyway and paying a lot more than we are now for NATO.
It's a dangerous gamble. So I hope Trump knows what he is doing.

I agree that sometimes it’s not what Trump says but how he says it but I have also learned through my life that sometimes you have to be brutally direct to get through to some people.
True, and I hope it works. The Europeans are behaving greedily and are at fault here, but that's the point. We can never trust them to do the right thing. The two greatest wars in history were fought in Europe in the last century and both of those wars dragged the US in. This is why we can't turn our backs and leave Europe to itself. We do that, guarantee we'll have to go right back in.

what is "presidential"?
Though I'm not crazy about his behavior and mannerisms, it's not so much these that bother me or that I'd call not presidential. He can be as crude or abrasive as he wants. I'll even applaud such behavior directed at far left dems and activists who need to be put in their place. What bothers me is what we used to call in martial arts "telegraphing your moves," or unwittingly revealing to your opponent your next move. Honesty is admirable, but being an open book is not, especially in geopolitical affairs.

Actually, they probably won't...

... Trump is making NATO stronger with nothing more than a speech at a rally. I bet you would sh Biden could pull that off...lol
I hope you are correct. I hope Trump was not speaking off the cuff with his Russia threat. If you do that enough, your opponent is going to learn how to fight you and how to win. If so, Putin got a big clue. We all know what Putin wants. So I hope Trump was bluffing or at least has some kind of back up plan in mind. Reagan would've never said such a thing, at least not without a strategy to bring the Kremlin down, which he did.

Forum List

Back