Should the west go to war with Russia?

The Cold war has been going on since shortly after WWII. It did not stop, just because we declared victory and they continued fighting, just with different timelines.

The goal like always for Western nations is that the cold war, not become a hot war on NATO or European Union Country soil. They should definitely be investing in their own defense, training and equipment, as the enemy is at the gate and making military moves.

Well, I'd say the previous Cold War ended. Things changed and a new one is rising up. The republicans claimed to have defeated the USSR, but needed a common enemy more than the democrats.

Russia won WW11 Skye, with a lotta boots....~S~
That was the Soviet Union, not Russia. The Western Central Bankers won relative to WW2. The USA is owned by the "Federal Reserve" and Britain by "Bank of England". The Soviet Union was a joke. We and Britain aligned ourselves with a regime worse than the Nazis and gave them everything.

Ethnic Orthodox Russians lost in WW2, like 20 million of them.

I'm not advocating war with Russia. Just asking a theoretical question.

Here's the background to why I ask this question.

Russia is attacking the west.

"Thousands of flights to and from Europe affected by suspected Russian jamming"

Russian assassinations in the west.

Zelimkhan Khangoshvili in Berlin, six in Turkey, Umar Israilov in Austria, Alexander Litvinenko in the UK along with another case where they failed, this list also doesn't have an assassination in Spain recently.

Russian interference in democracy in the west.

"In the second panel, “Have Elections Become Cyberwars?,” panelists discussed the framing of cyberwar in the 2016 U.S. presidential election and recommended U.S. responses."

The west has two choices.

1) To carry on as it's doing and try and stop these attacks, deal with them as they happen, allowing Russia to literally act like it's at war, but pretend that Russia isn't at war

2) Take out Putin, get rid of the source of the problem, send a message to China that it is not acceptable to do such things.
Actually, wars never end. The West and Russia have been fighting shadow wars. And trust me, the wars will never EVER come to an end.

A shadow war between world powers refers to covert or clandestine actions taken by nations to advance their interests, influence, or undermine the efforts of their adversaries without engaging in open military conflict.

Such activities may include cyberattacks, espionage, propaganda, economic manipulation( e.g. sanctions ), support for proxy groups, and other forms of asymmetric warfare.

These shadow wars often take place below the threshold of traditional warfare and are characterized by deniability, secrecy, and the use of non-traditional tactics to achieve strategic objectives.

They can be used by states to exert influence on the global stage, weaken their rivals, or protect their own interests while avoiding the risks and costs associated with conventional military operations.

The competition between major powers in the modern era has increasingly shifted towards these shadow wars as they offer a way to assert power and influence in a more subtle and ambiguous manner.

However, the line between covert actions and escalation into open conflict can be thin, making managing these shadow wars a delicate and complex task for world leaders( Do not ask those leaders, they will not tell or talk, top secrets! ).

Where have you been? Shadow wars are endless. The world domination games always go on... :)

Zelimkhan Khangoshvili in Berlin, six in Turkey, Umar Israilov in Austria, Alexander Litvinenko in the UK along with another case where they failed, this list also doesn't have an assassination in Spain recently.

"In the second panel, “Have Elections Become Cyberwars?,” panelists discussed the framing of cyberwar in the 2016 U.S. presidential election and recommended U.S. responses."

1) To carry on as it's doing and try and stop these attacks, deal with them as they happen, allowing Russia to literally act like it's at war, but pretend that Russia isn't at war

2) Take out Putin, get rid of the source of the problem, send a message to China that it is not acceptable to do such things.
Yeah, sure. Start a nuclear war. Brilliant!

Actually, wars never end. The West and Russia have been fighting shadow wars. And trust me, the wars will never EVER come to an end.

A shadow war between world powers refers to covert or clandestine actions taken by nations to advance their interests, influence, or undermine the efforts of their adversaries without engaging in open military conflict.

Such activities may include cyberattacks, espionage, propaganda, economic manipulation( e.g. sanctions ), support for proxy groups, and other forms of asymmetric warfare.

These shadow wars often take place below the threshold of traditional warfare and are characterized by deniability, secrecy, and the use of non-traditional tactics to achieve strategic objectives.

They can be used by states to exert influence on the global stage, weaken their rivals, or protect their own interests while avoiding the risks and costs associated with conventional military operations.

The competition between major powers in the modern era has increasingly shifted towards these shadow wars as they offer a way to assert power and influence in a more subtle and ambiguous manner.

However, the line between covert actions and escalation into open conflict can be thin, making managing these shadow wars a delicate and complex task for world leaders( Do not ask those leaders, they will not tell or talk, top secrets! ).

Where have you been? Shadow wars are endless. The world domination games always go on... :)

Yes, I agree and don't agree.

As humans we look for patterns, which is why wars start and end. But often conflict goes on, sometimes takes a break or becomes less intense.

WW2 ended because factions changed. It went from the US, the UK, France, China and the USSR to the US, western Europe, Japan and South Korea. A huge shift.

It went from an ideological war on the part of Germany, and a war Japan had been fighting for decades if not centuries, to being an ideological war with two ideologies.

A difference. Nothing stopped, it just changed.

After 1990/91 the war changed. It took a breather for a while, then it changed into Russia, China, Iran V. US, EU and Japan and South Korea, Australia.

A difference, so we say one stopped and another started because it looks different. Fought for different reasons. It's not really ideological any more.

China LOVES the USA. It's incredible how much China is trying to mimic the US. But at the same time it wants to displace the US as the top dog, so does Russia. And they want to be the control freak dictatorships rather than the freedom which many Russians and Chinese would love to gave.

The thing about the new type of warfare is you'd think they'd try harder at hiding their intentions. But China and Russia really don't seem to care.

nuclear war would NOT result in a radioactive wasteland.

That's a damn shame ...

fallout_4___cait_by_wes_james_dft0irm-fullview.jpg

One more thing....the CIA could stop fuxxking around in eastern European elections which they have not stopped doing since the 70's. Might help.

nuclear war would NOT result in a radioactive wasteland.
Geez.....I think you're being a bit too optimistic here. Depends on the size of the charges I think.
It would almost certainly result in the total destruction of all satellite usage sending us back 50 years technologically.

One more thing....the CIA could stop fuxxking around in eastern European elections which they have not stopped doing since the 70's. Might help.

Oh sure. I think a lot of people hate what the US has done. But do we want Russia and China to be doing the same thing?

We already are.

I'm older than dirt, so I remember how the Vietnam War Started. Just a few advisors...

MILITARY & DEFENSE

US considers deploying extra military advisors to Ukraine as Russia looks set to ramp up offensives

Cameron Manley
Apr 21, 2024, 7:47 AM EDT

Forum List

Back