Trump's trade war with China

I think protecting domestic jobs from foreign competitors, can be good for an economy. And imo, that is what the massive growth of the US, during that time frame shows.
Ok so what were we importing during that time? Were imports cheaper than domestic products with or without tariffs? What domestic jobs were protected. Be specific.

Specifically, you claimed that there were no examples of tariffs working. So , this is a huge example of it working, over many decades. Your desire to muddy that up by focusing on minor details, is noted, and dismissed.
No, I have stated it works as a tax. There is no evidence they are good for an economy, even after the civil war. As I proved with my link. And the much more recent steel tariffs have led to layoffs. You really have nothing but failure.

We have massive growth of the economy, jobs, wages, ect, behind high tariffs. THat is a fine example of tariffs working for a good economy.

Your inability to refute it, undermines your position.

Your inability to be honest about that, undermines your credibility.

The impact of high tariffs has not hit the American wallet yet. That is why Trump slowed down the impact by exempting some the Chinese products. Will see the results after Christmas.

Trade wars negotiations started 2 years ago so far there are no end insight. And there are no sign China is backing down.
Trump is an idiot..

Sorry that was a typo. We were discussing the time period of the post Civil War US.

We HAD massive growth of hte economy during that period.

I agree that Trump's tariffs and efforts at trade deals have not had much time to have major impacts as of yet.

Ok so what were we importing during that time? Were imports cheaper than domestic products with or without tariffs? What domestic jobs were protected. Be specific.

Specifically, you claimed that there were no examples of tariffs working. So , this is a huge example of it working, over many decades. Your desire to muddy that up by focusing on minor details, is noted, and dismissed.
No, I have stated it works as a tax. There is no evidence they are good for an economy, even after the civil war. As I proved with my link. And the much more recent steel tariffs have led to layoffs. You really have nothing but failure.

We have massive growth of the economy, jobs, wages, ect, behind high tariffs. THat is a fine example of tariffs working for a good economy.

The impact of high tariffs has not hit the American wallet...
That's right. Everyone who predicted tariff driven inflation is all wet.
... And there are no sign China is backing down...
They can deal fairly with us and stop stealing from us, or they can pay the tariffs. Right now they are choosing to pay the tariffs. But, Trump is still helping them find their price point.
... Trump is an idiot..
And yet, he whipped your asses.

This just shows how many ignorant trump supporters are.

These tariffs has not hit your pockets yet.
So how in the fuck an inflation started?

/—-/ Sorry to disappoint you because we know how much you want to support the Commies, but the Chinks are removing or lowering tariffs and us companies are moving their manufacturing. Apple’s new Mac Pro to be made in Texas

Moving their manufacturing?

Did you even read your own link? Did you miss this part...will begin production soon at the same Austin facility where Mac Pro has been made since 2013.
/——/ I heard about it on the radio. It was supposed to be made in China but because of the tariffs it will be made in Texas.

Your own link said it has been made in Texas since 2013. Whatever lie you heard on the radio is irrelevant.
/——/ Read the headline bozo:
Apple’s new Mac Pro to be made in Texas

This is the problem with people like you. You lack the IQ to read past the headlines as there are too many big words for you. The MacPro has been made in Texas since 2013, thus Apple did not move where it was manufactured. Your own link, if you read past the headline, refuted your own lies.

Trumpets are dumb and ignorant. Even outside of this site.

They can deal fairly with us and stop stealing from us, or they can pay the tariffs. Right now they are choosing to pay the tariffs. But, Trump is still helping them find their price point.
... Trump is an idiot..

This just shows how many ignorant trump supporters are...
We whipped your asses.
... These tariffs has not hit your pockets yet...
You just conceded that the tariffs haven't being paid by us, even though they are being paid, by the $Billions.
... So how in the fuck an inflation started?
That sentence makes no sense.

It's just a fact. Trump policy is a failure.

Not all of them, but the Trade War has been a bust so far
His economic policy has been bad with a trillion dollar deficit bill to boot.
/——-/ Yeah, the President controls the spending except for Obozo. Then Congress was in charge of the budget. Funny how things change when a Republican is in office.

Oh for fuck sake.
The only reason we are having these arguments is because of Trump ineptness.
Trade negotiations started 2 years ago and there’s no end insight.

Remember keep this in to your thick skull.... the biggest losers are the American consumers which you supports.
So the clear commies are people like you who don’t give a rats ass to poor Americans.

... Trump is an idiot..

This just shows how many ignorant trump supporters are...
We whipped your asses.
... These tariffs has not hit your pockets yet...
You just conceded that the tariffs haven't being paid by us, even though they are being paid, by the $Billions.
... So how in the fuck an inflation started?
That sentence makes no sense.

Maybe if you take off your mask you will understand where you are going.

The biggest losers of these trade wars are us. Not the Chinese. At the start of this TW..... the excellency crap Trump was very proud to announce.... TW is very easy to win. Two years later and no end in sight..... WTF is that?

China Is Winning Trump's Trade War

Trump seems now to be belatedly looking for an exit ramp from his “get tough on China” strategy. The big question is: does Beijing have any great incentive to assist the American president or will it adopt a waiting game to cut a better deal with a possible Democratic successor after the 2020 election? Trump’s abrasive negotiating style seems to now have caught him in a dilemma.

Just wondering if Trump supporters even understand the impact of TW against Americans that they supports.

America's factories are getting crushed by Trump's trade war, not the Fed

New York(CNN Business) The trade war is doing real damage to the American economy, and it's showing up in manufacturing. Factories in a wide range of businesses, from clothing to machinery are suffering declines in exports.

The slowdown in manufacturing — often an early indicator of problems in the wider economy — showed up starkly in a dreadful report released on Tuesday. Factory activity contracted in September for the second straight month; by some measures it was the worst month in a decade. The bad news spooked investors and the Dow fell nearly 350 points, or 1.3%.

President Donald Trump wasted little time finding someone to blame for the gloomy factory activity

/——/ Try to restrain your glee.

/——-/ Yeah, the President controls the spending except for Obozo. Then Congress was in charge of the budget. Funny how things change when a Republican is in office.

Oh for fuck sake.

Remember keep this in to your thick skull.... the biggest losers are the American consumers which you supports.
So the clear commies are people like you who don’t give a rats ass to poor Americans.
/----/ And then there's this

... Trump is an idiot..

/---/ Since I rarely buy Chinese procsts - except General Cho's Chicken - the tariffs will never hit my pocket.

Oh for fuck sake.

... Trump is an idiot..

/---/ Since I rarely buy Chinese procsts - except General Cho's Chicken - the tariffs will never hit my pocket.

You have never worked much retail, have you?

Oh for fuck sake.

... Trump is an idiot..

/----/ Vey little. I worked wholesale - unless you consider selling legal reference books to law firms retail. I did that for 16 years.

Oh for fuck sake.

... Trump is an idiot..

/----/ Vey little. I worked wholesale - unless you consider selling legal reference books to law firms retail. I did that for 16 years.

I worked for what was at the time the world's largest retailer and one thing we were taught very early on was if the price of something (or a group of somethings) went up by say 10% you never rise the price of the item by that much, as you do not want to lose your market for it. So you raise it by say 4 to 5 percent and then throw a percent onto about 50 to 100 other items to make up the difference. This is common practice in the retail world.

You are paying even if you do not buy a thing made in China. A smart manger would up all the "American made" items prices by 2 or 3 percent knowing that people will seek them out so they can feel good about themselves.

Oh for fuck sake.

... Trump is an idiot..

Your almighty.

Do you represents the rest of poor Americans? How about your fellow Americans that relied on Walmart products and prices?

manufacturing is not doing well...
Do you think this might be why no one is panicking over the ISM report?

fredgraph.png
The market sure doesn’t like it. Big drop yesterday, almost 500 down now.
The Democrats Impeachment Nonsense is hurting the markets, but, since they are trying to impeach without any high crimes, I suspect that we will work through this.
The market tanked yesterday on the ISM news and continues today.
That's a broad category with a number of sub categories, let's dig into it a little:

fredgraph.png

Leather and Apparel are way down and appear to be dragging down the whole index.

Computer and electronics are strong.

Motor vehicles and primary metal looks fine.

Furniture is flat.

I don't see anything to panic over here, let me check gold and treasuries to see if we are getting a flight to safety.

Gold did have a nice jump, but it looks like it's coming back down.

fredgraph.png

Treasuring have strengthened over the last month from the 30 day to 2 year range, and that's probably due to impeachment/political cycle. I'm confident that will work itself out. Without real evidence of serious crimes, the impeachment thing is a farce that will blow itself out.

You are missing the whole picture. Here’s one of the casualties of dumb trade wars. John Deere is laying off employees because the impact of TW. That’s just the start caterpillar and others will follow.

My friend work as sales at Deere for 28 years. He is not laid off yet. He has 2 kids in college and not sure if he will be able to support them.

What’s causing recently announced layoffs at John Deere

What’s causing recently announced layoffs at John Deere

That's the question we asked our Financial Expert, Mark Grywacheski, during our "Your Money" Segment on Good Morning Quad Cities Monday, October 7th, 2019. Last week, Deere announced it would be laying off 163 employees at two of its Quad City factories.

He explained that there's two reasons - there's a significant decline in global economic growth, plus John Deere is highly nuanced with respect to the US-China trade dispute:

"China’s top two targets in this trade dispute with the United States are the U.S. agricultural industry and manufacturing industry, but unlike other bellwether manufacturers like Caterpillar, Boeing, Ford, etc. - John Deere has significant ties to the U.S. agricultural industry," he said.

Oh for fuck sake.

... Trump is an idiot..

Your almighty.

Do you represents the rest of poor Americans? How about your fellow Americans that relied on Walmart products and prices?
/——/ I’m speaking for myself, I don’t shop in Walmart. And Libtards spent the last decade bashing Walmart, now you praise them.

Oh for fuck sake.

I worked for what was at the time the world's largest retailer and one thing we were taught very early on was if the price of something (or a group of somethings) went up by say 10% you never rise the price of the item by that much, as you do not want to lose your market for it. So you raise it by say 4 to 5 percent and then throw a percent onto about 50 to 100 other items to make up the difference. This is common practice in the retail world.

You are paying even if you do not buy a thing made in China. A smart manger would up all the "American made" items prices by 2 or 3 percent knowing that people will seek them out so they can feel good about themselves.
/——/ Although true at one time, Amazon and the iPhone changed all of that. You can comparison shop while in the store and order online from a variety of sellers for the lowest price. BTW Walmart told vendors to absorb the cost of tariffs.

Moving their manufacturing?

Did you even read your own link? Did you miss this part...will begin production soon at the same Austin facility where Mac Pro has been made since 2013.
/——/ I heard about it on the radio. It was supposed to be made in China but because of the tariffs it will be made in Texas.

Your own link said it has been made in Texas since 2013. Whatever lie you heard on the radio is irrelevant.
/——/ Read the headline bozo:
Apple’s new Mac Pro to be made in Texas

This is the problem with people like you. You lack the IQ to read past the headlines as there are too many big words for you. The MacPro has been made in Texas since 2013, thus Apple did not move where it was manufactured. Your own link, if you read past the headline, refuted your own lies.

Trumpets are dumb and ignorant. Even outside of this site.
/——-/Yeah, anyone who dares disagree with you is dumb and ignorant- not a wizard of smarts like you.

Oh for fuck sake.

/——/ Although true at one time, Amazon and the iPhone changed all of that. You can comparison shop while in the store and order online from a variety of sellers for the lowest price. BTW Walmart told vendors to absorb the cost of tariffs.

Most shoppers still do not do that. Most are lazy and dumb and retailers take advantage of that.

I could put something on an end cap, raise the price by 5%, put an eye catching sign and sell the hell out of it.

Most shoppers still do not do that. Most are lazy and dumb and retailers take advantage of that.

I could put something on an end cap, raise the price by 5%, put an eye catching sign and sell the hell out of it.
/—-/ As a former P&G sales rep, I agree POP displays increase impulse sales and I had a slew of store managers who disagreed. But I see people price comparing in stores and more and more are staying home and shopping on Amazon. Those glory days are over.

/—-/ As a former P&G sales rep, I agree POP displays increase impulse sales and I had a slew of store managers who disagreed. But I see people price comparing in stores and more and more are staying home and shopping on Amazon. Those glory days are over.

that might well be, it has been almost 8 years since I was in that sector

Forum List

Back