Two Questions for Atheists

Back a few weeks ago, I posed my first question to Atheists and I was surprised how suddenly we had so many posters proclaim themselves "Agnostic!" It was an amazing thing to see. We constantly get bombarded with the so-called "naysayers" on this forum regularly but for some odd reason, my question turned them away from Atheism to Agnosticism instantly. I don't think I ever got an honest answer to my question. So I decided it would be a good idea for a thread OP.

First Question for Atheists:

Do you hope that you are wrong or do you hope that you are right?

It's not a trick question. It's relatively easy. Just answer it honestly. If you can't answer, perhaps you need to ask yourself the question in quiet contemplation? How you answer is important and I will explain later.

The second question is:

Do you ever have doubts about your Atheism?

Again, not a trick question, relatively easy to answer.

Now, I wish that I could take credit for these profoundly brilliant questions but I can't. They are presented by Dennis Prager in an article he posted some time back. I will outline a little more about what he had to say later on. For now, I just want to get some feedback from our Atheist contingent... if we have one.
Atheists don't care if they're wrong. So what if god exists? Not the atheist's fault that god wouldn't show itself.

It's funny to me, if Atheists don't care, why they can't seem to answer the simple question posed in the OP. Do you hope you're wrong or do you hope you're right?

Back a few weeks ago, I posed my first question to Atheists and I was surprised how suddenly we had so many posters proclaim themselves "Agnostic!" It was an amazing thing to see. We constantly get bombarded with the so-called "naysayers" on this forum regularly but for some odd reason, my question turned them away from Atheism to Agnosticism instantly. I don't think I ever got an honest answer to my question. So I decided it would be a good idea for a thread OP.

It's not a trick question. It's relatively easy. Just answer it honestly. If you can't answer, perhaps you need to ask yourself the question in quiet contemplation? How you answer is important and I will explain later.

The second question is:

Now, I wish that I could take credit for these profoundly brilliant questions but I can't. They are presented by Dennis Prager in an article he posted some time back. I will outline a little more about what he had to say later on. For now, I just want to get some feedback from our Atheist contingent... if we have one.
Atheists don't care if they're wrong. So what if god exists? Not the atheist's fault that god wouldn't show itself.

It's funny to me, if Atheists don't care, why they can't seem to answer the simple question posed in the OP. Do you hope you're wrong or do you hope you're right?
I'm actually agnostic. But pure atheists probably don't care either way. It is what it is, or will be. It doesn't really matter what side of the belief line you're on. Believing in heaven and hell doesn't mean that that's where we're going. We're all going to the same place, whatever that is...

I'm actually agnostic. But pure atheists probably don't care either way. It is what it is, or will be. It doesn't really matter what side of the belief line you're on. Believing in heaven and hell doesn't mean that that's where we're going. We're all going to the same place, whatever that is...

Yes, I am finding there are a number of people who are openly denouncing Atheism in favor of Agnosticism. That's somewhat fascinating in of itself. They seem to have no problem mocking and ridiculing God left and right but when it comes to brass tacks, they suddenly scurry to hide behind the skirt of Agnosticism and refuse to admit they don't believe in the God they've mocked. Very telling indeed.

I don't accept that no one really cares if what they believe is right or wrong. Especially when they appear to be so vocal about their beliefs. I think this question really makes them think about what they believe in a way they maybe hadn't considered or didn't want to consider. And that's why it's so hard for them to answer.

You claim we're all going to the same place but how could you (an agnostic) possibly know that? I think maybe that's your opinion and that's fine, but don't present it as if it's some kind of altruistic fact. The truth is, you don't know and you won't know until you die... none of us will. I'll say this, it's a really sad state of affairs if there is no justice for the wicked. The murders and rapists, the most evil among us, ultimately pay no price in the grand scheme of things? Perhaps that's true but I'd like to think it's not.

The truth is, you don't know and you won't know until you die... none of us will.

speak for yourself, homer ... your disconnect with reality is your problem in your case indeed you will never know.

I'll say this, it's a really sad state of affairs if there is no justice for the wicked. The murders and rapists, the most evil among us, ultimately pay no price in the grand scheme of things? Perhaps that's true but I'd like to think it's not.

10/4, the genome of life is the arbiter that will not be denied which clearly has that purpose in mind and heart, purity from evil as the goal.

Yes, I am finding there are a number of people who are openly denouncing Atheism in favor of Agnosticism. That's somewhat fascinating in of itself. They seem to have no problem mocking and ridiculing God left and right but when it comes to brass tacks, they suddenly scurry to hide behind the skirt of Agnosticism and refuse to admit they don't believe in the God they've mocked. Very telling indeed.

I don't accept that no one really cares if what they believe is right or wrong. Especially when they appear to be so vocal about their beliefs. I think this question really makes them think about what they believe in a way they maybe hadn't considered or didn't want to consider. And that's why it's so hard for them to answer.

You claim we're all going to the same place but how could you (an agnostic) possibly know that? I think maybe that's your opinion and that's fine, but don't present it as if it's some kind of altruistic fact. The truth is, you don't know and you won't know until you die... none of us will. I'll say this, it's a really sad state of affairs if there is no justice for the wicked. The murders and rapists, the most evil among us, ultimately pay no price in the grand scheme of things? Perhaps that's true but I'd like to think it's not.
There's no proof that when we die, we all get separated according to whether we obeyed a book or not.

And as an agnostic, I make fun of the gods in religions, because they crack me up.

Ridiculous comparison. A simple statement like that cannot be compared to literary volumes. In fact, I turn this stupid example back on you and ask you to explain why it should not be taken literally and what the correct metaphorical and literary meaning of it is.

And again, you have nothing but an authoritative declaration at your disposal. People will usually recognize this as their own opinion, but not you. You grant yourself some sort of special authority....gained from, of course, yourself.
Oh please, with all that by what authority bullshit if not just your own..

By what authority do you make conclusions?

And yes, a simple statement like that can be applied to volumes of scripture.

A little yeast makes the whole loaf rise.

Yes, I get it. You are demanding that your opinion is not actually your opinion, but rather, objective fact. I simply do not agree. And neither do a lot of peolle with differing opinions. But they obviously do not have functioning brains, as you so graciously pointed out.
lol... I am not demanding anything., If you feel some sort of pressure it is coming from the force of reason.

You don't have any interest in examining rationally anything that might send you back to the drawing board, You're old, I get it.
You, of course, are demanding that your opinion is objective fact. It's literally the only point you've managed to try to make.

I have a suspicion you also try this trick out on your other opinions.

I am not demanding anything. I am telling you to use your own mind and use everything you know about science and biology and physics, philosophy, literary expressions, teaching techniques, and historical facts as constraints to seeing for yourself what I have found by reasoning.

It really isn't that hard.

You are demanding your right to be obstinate and lazy..

You have my blessings...

And I am telling you that, even if I do all that, I might come to a different conclusion than you, as many others have. A rational person recognizes this as a difference of opinion. An irrational person with weak arguments says I don't have a functioning brain, and neither does anyone else who disagrees, and demands his own opinion to be unimpeachable facts based on the authority that is himself.

If you're NOT an Atheist (seems many of you aren't) then the question is not for you.
I don't think there are many real atheists. Even the great Christopher Hitchens (RIP Hitch), the author of the book "God is Not Great", said that he would believe if he had proof.

He did think of himself as an "anti-theist", however, in that he was very much against organized religion, regardless of whether God exists or not.
If you don't think Hitchens was an atheist then you have no idea what the word means.
There are plenty of resources. Go to YouTube and he'll explain the difference to you himself.

Hitchens was an atheist, as are all agnostics.

oh yeah... still waiting for you to define what gravity is.
Simple google search will do that . It's really a handy tool.

definition of gravity - Google Search
except that doesn't define what gravity is. Again... I already know what gravity does and how it works. Maybe you should actually read the thread?
Gravity - Wikipedia

Wow, you can use Wikipedia as well as you can Google! Impressive.

It still doesn't tell me what exactly gravity is. All I am finding is a description of the effects of the phenomenon. Like I said, you cannot answer this question because we don't know what gravity is.

"All I am finding is a description of the effects of the phenomenon"

Liar. The description clearly defines it as an attractive force between material objects. That's what gravity is.

The second question is:

Liar. I directly answered that question.

If you're NOT an Atheist (seems many of you aren't) then the question is not for you.
I don't think there are many real atheists. Even the great Christopher Hitchens (RIP Hitch), the author of the book "God is Not Great", said that he would believe if he had proof.

He did think of himself as an "anti-theist", however, in that he was very much against organized religion, regardless of whether God exists or not.
If you don't think Hitchens was an atheist then you have no idea what the word means.
There are plenty of resources. Go to YouTube and he'll explain the difference to you himself.

Hitchens was an atheist, as are all agnostics.
I'm agnostic, and I'm not an atheist.

I simply am willing to admit that I don't know.

And I know others like me.

"All I am finding is a description of the effects of the phenomenon"

Liar. The description clearly defines it as an attractive force between material objects. That's what gravity is.

No, the description clearly describes the effects of a phenomenon and does not define what it is. Not only that but it's also not a correct description of the phenomenon because dark matter creates gravity and isn't a material object. Also, Einstein says it's not an attractive force but rather a "pushing" force caused by the curvature of space-time.

So now... the way this works is; I have met your argument with a counter and it's up to you to disprove my counter by offering some tangible evidence. Popping off that you simply reject what I've said might as well be an admission that you've been bested.

And I am telling you that, even if I do all that, I might come to a different conclusion

lol....

And what I am telling you is that unless you go through that threshing process you have no basis upon which to claim that there is no way to logically arrive at the truth, no way to confirm the truth, and no way to know the truth. . All you have is derision.

The constraints provided by scientific knowledge, biological realities, psychiatric knowledge about sanity verses insanity, and the assertion that Jesus revealed the right way to conform to the law, the truth, wisdom from God, and was the expected Jewish messiah all quite effectively leave only one possible truth or teaching conveyed in any given fantastical story that satisfies all of these constraints, does not require a suspension of disbelief, conforms to reality and can be verified and confirmed by reality.

So you will never become a great thinker. You will never understand or find any truth in scripture. You are way too lazy.

I really can accept that...

Last edited:

The second question is:

To answer your first question, neither. I do not think one way or the other, There is no reason to. To your second question, No.

The second question is:

To answer your first question, neither. I do not think one way or the other, There is no reason to. To your second question, No.

Wow... So you don't contemplate things or have moments of reflection at all? That sounds like a really sad and pathetic way to waste your life.

The second question is:

Wow... So you don't contemplate things or have moments of reflection at all? That sounds like a really sad and pathetic way to waste your life.

So where did you get I do not have moments of reflection or contemplate things. I just do not either when it comes to what happens when we die. As for a sad and Pathetic life, well that would be a statement born of ignorance on your part. You do not know me or the kind of life I have lived or live. And hence the number 1 reason I have no use for religion. As an atheist I do not feel the need to judge anyone on who or what they believe.

So where did you get I do not have moments of reflection or contemplate things. I just do not either when it comes to what happens when we die. As for a sad and Pathetic life, well that would be a statement born of ignorance on your part. You do not know me or the kind of life I have lived or live. And hence the number 1 reason I have no use for religion. As an atheist I do not feel the need to judge anyone on who or what they believe.

Well the OP questions were, 1) Do you hope you're right or wrong, and 2) Do you ever have doubts about your Atheism. You answered that you don't think about it and you don't ever have doubts. Now, if you don't think about whether you're right or wrong regarding the most important question regarding your eternal soul, then you're not much of a thinker. Also, if you've never considered that you might be wrong in your beliefs, you've simply never had introspection. Perhaps you were just being dishonest in your reply? If not, you exhibit emotional detachment and have a rather cold soul.

I haven't asked anyone a single thing about religion.

Well the OP questions were, 1) Do you hope you're right or wrong, and 2) Do you ever have doubts about your Atheism.

what's strange about the question(s) is neither would be tolerated by the desert religions a priori.

what's strange about the question(s) is neither would be tolerated by the desert religions a priori.

Prager points out that every Christian or Jew he has ever known, has had moments of doubt in their faith. It's very much something that isn't uncommon. Yet, curiously, Atheists never seem to question their disbelief.

Forum List

Back