U.S. court rules dreadlock ban during hiring process is legal

MindWars

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2016
U.S. court rules dreadlock ban during hiring process is legal
The 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals recently ruled against a lawsuit filed by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission against Catastrophe Management Solutions, effectively ruling that refusing to hire someone because of their dreadlocks is legal.

-----------------------------------
Oh what will you ever do when the court says you can't do this. ......
Like we said libtards give them an inch and they're going to keep stripping your rights and freedom at every turn dumbasses.

I can see this both ways.
Appearance is part of valid criteria for both serving the public in some jobs,
and thus keeping a professional image including grooming and sanitary appearance,
and SAFETY in other jobs (such as no jewelry, no hanging scarves or long sleeves that can get caught in machines etc).

But when interviewing, that's not the same as what someone will wear on the job.
It's totally to the discretion of the interviewer and decision makers
which person makes which impression on them.

Some jobs don't care, or will make exceptions if the person's attitude
proves more important than how they wear their hair or dress.

One factor you cannot always quantify is how well people comply with
instructions and authority, or if they are going to play victim and threaten
to sue for discrimination at any sign of correction or rebuke for their work performance.

In that case, to bypass any arguments this was based on appearance,
I recommend to companies to implement a conflict resolution and peer based counseling
system where issues of personal, arbitrary or ambiguous nature can be resolved by consensus among peers
and sign agreements to seek mediation to avoid legal action or costs in cases of personal disputes.

Otherwise personal issues too often get projected onto "discrimination" policies of race or religious culture or creed.
Appearance is a gray area that can include both racial and cultural beliefs,
so there are cases that go both ways, either personal choice or unfair discrimination.

You can't make a solid rule or ruling all one way because cases are different.
So there isn't a way to make a perfect policy and enforce it consistently by literal law;
it always is going to require personal judgment so I recommend mediation to resolve
such conflicts so each case can be treated uniquely to determine if it can be settled or there is some
unlawful issue or civil wrong occurring that actually violates someone's rights on a higher level.

1st impressions (they say) are lasting impressions. There should be a certain amount or dress code required, and decency expected when employees come to a job for hire. If one comes to a job interview, and they are dressed like an idiot, then the employer's should be able to send the person packing. It's just that simple.

1st impressions (they say) are lasting impressions. There should be a certain amount or dress code required, and decency expected when employees come to a job for hire. If one comes to a job interview, and they are dressed like an idiot, then the employer's should be able to send the person packing. It's just that simple.
I`ll confess to having some bigotry towards overly tattooed folks but I would never refuse to hire someone based on that. I would just try to keep them hidden :)

When it starts with one thing though it spills over into everything else such as " tattoos" which in some aspects is understandable, but does it really take away that person credentials esp. today .......
how about those HUGE holes in those twenty something ears LOL....... Mmmmk

So what's next you can't wear purple because it offends someone dumb ass or the boss hiring....

Dreadlocks aren't even that bad, I'd take dreadlocks over those goofy looking doughnut holes in kids ears today lol

They can. There's no obligation to hire everyone who interviews.

They just can't have a policy that specifically targets a certain hairstyle.

Dear beagle9
Again it can go too far either way.
I agree companies should have authority and agreed policy on
what is or not allowed in interviews or on workplace property.
If they want to say no guns, that's their private property.
If you want to conceal and carry, don't interview, don't visit and don't work there.

I think it's the fear of lawsuits that prevents companies
from allowing interviewers to ask: Since we have a policy
about dress code, are you okay complying with this? And
asking questions about their hair that doesn't meet dress code requirements.

Because asking questions like that can trigger lawsuits,
claiming the applicant was discriminated against by racial appearance
or religious dress if they wore a Burqa or beanie or rapper's cap,
this might be the very reason that companies are advised
to state up front what the rules are for dress codes at
their sites and ask for the same enforcement at the interviews.

Either way, this fear of lawsuits over discrimination
creates as much mess as the original fear of discrimination.

Because now it's not even safe to ask for compliance
or else that counts as discriminating because other people aren't being asked
to change their hair or dress.

the original problem remains, where people keep projecting
conflicts and changes on race, and not treating all conflicts
as personal responsibility to resolve between individuals with personal
choices and preferences.

Trying to treat all these things like global issues that
reflect group policies of how one group is treating another group
leads to this escalation and complication over differences
that can more easily be resolved by respect between people as individuals.

We are always going to have differences and disputes arise.
Rather than argue over global policy and how each rule is written or enforced,
better to invest in training support and assistance with conflict resolution
and diversity management, so nobody makes mountains out of molehills we can fix ourselves.

When it starts with one thing though it spills over into everything else such as " tattoos" which in some aspects is understandable, but does it really take away that person credentials esp. today .......

So what's next you can't wear purple because it offends someone dumb ass or the boss hiring....

Dreadlocks aren't even that bad, I'd take dreadlocks over those goofy looking doughnut holes in kids ears today lol
Count your blessings. You no longer have to go to a carnival to see this stuff.

if someone is a rastafarian, then dreads are part of their religion & you cannot refuse to hire someone based on their hair. you cannot tell them not to wear their hair like that because it would be akin to telling a hasidic jew to change their hair.

I`ll confess to having some bigotry towards overly tattooed folks but I would never refuse to hire someone based on that. I would just try to keep them hidden :)
Yeah well it depends on what the job is, and usually what's displayed on the outside tells a good bit about what's hidden on the inside. You shouldn't have to keep them hidden from your customers, but rather they should have enough respect and decency about themselves to keep it hidden for you and your customers if want a job. The problem these days, is that we have people who want to be wild or doing wild things, then trying to get the nation to accept their ways above and beyond the decency standards in which are set by all companies in according to their business models. It's a shame is what it all has become. Hey, people need to think about their futures, but that has been shut down these days.

They can. There's no obligation to hire everyone who interviews.

They just can't have a policy that specifically targets a certain hairstyle.
. Many things are targeted during an interview, so what's wrong with targeting hair styles, jewelry, baggy pants, tattoos, cleanliness/hygiene, hats, and language all depending ??

1st impressions (they say) are lasting impressions

CyAwH27UcAAy20X.jpg

Someone with dreds obviously groomed and attended to wearing a suit and presenting him/herself professionally is no problem. Dreds and a Che t-shirt that stinks of pot and it's time for the eject button. Tats on the face or neck are automatic deal breakers. See ya.

Dreads on black people are fine. But when a white man or woman has them, it’s a forgone conclusion they smoke weed and a lot of it.

The negress was hoping black privilege would help her win a lawsuit over a filthy hairstyle. "But, I'm a negro, you can't expect me to be civilized." LOL, that argument didn't work in this case.

Well we can bet the NAACP will be one this and claim it is racist, and isolates blacks . meanwhile look at the colleges where they separate themselves blame it on whites, and want nothing to do with whites, but what you are white and you did it.......Mmmm k

CyAwH27UcAAy20X.jpg
What the.....HECK is that ?

CyAwH27UcAAy20X.jpg
What the.....HECK is that ?

oh sorry

he is one of those guys who claim trump is mentally unstable

--LOL

Forum List

Back