Uber self driving vehicle hits, kills pedestrian in Arizona

If jets can fly all over the world by computer, the technology for driver-less cars will be perfected. Of course government could screw it up, like they often do.

Hey Gip, driving a car around town through traffic is like a million times more complicated than getting an airplane from Miami to Dallas. The human brain is the ultimate computer, putting a computer with a few cameras in charge of driving a car is like a driver with several drinks in him. How can the one be illegal while the other merely "cool tech?" I'm not crazy about technology to assist the driver, but trying to use it to replace him is something I want no part of.

That's an odd comparison, calling a computer-controlled car "like a driver with several drinks in him." It seems entirely inaccurate to me, for a number of reasons. What makes you think that is a valid comparison?

A computer AI is at best a rudimentary intelligence far less aware of its surroundings and goings-on than a human being. You could put me on dilaudid and a few shots of Jack and I'd still be 10X more aware and cognizant of my environment than a Uber Car. And that is the opinion of someone who turned down jobs at both Siemens Robotics as well as CMU where much of the robotic technology is created.

You'd have to define what it means to be aware of one's surroundings. For example, the software running an autonomous car would not be limited to two forward-facing cameras, the way a human being is limited to their eyes. The software does not get distracted the way a human can. The software almost certainly responds more quickly than a human being.
On the other hand, a human can think and anticipate in less structured ways, perhaps allowing them to see something coming before computer software can.

However, none of that really makes the software running an autonomous car "like a driver with several drinks in him." Alcohol use can affect not only awareness, but judgement and reaction time. I still believe the comparison is a bad one.

I will never understand this need to have driverless cars....like who the fuck wants this shit??? Just another attempt by corporations to rid themselves of human workers.....ATM's, self serving lanes in stores, Drone drop offs, robots, etc....I just hope these peopleless ideas pay taxes.

You know, considering that the smart cars need to have GPS to operate, and that is a system that is outside the car, yes, it can be hacked.

I mean, we've already seen current cars can be hacked, anything from locking the doors and turning up the radio to controlling the brakes and accelerator.

Could bring a whole new way of taking people out. Hire a good hacker to go after the car.

I wonder why the software didn't seem to see the pedestrian or react at all.

I'm not sure that, depending on the speed the car was traveling, a human would have had a great chance to avoid that either, based on the video. It was very quick from the moment you first get a glimpse of the pedestrian until impact. There might have been enough time, and one would hope that the software running the car would be able to react, so clearly something did not function properly.

I wonder why the software didn't seem to see the pedestrian or react at all.

I'm not sure that, depending on the speed the car was traveling, a human would have had a great chance to avoid that either, based on the video. It was very quick from the moment you first get a glimpse of the pedestrian until impact. There might have been enough time, and one would hope that the software running the car would be able to react, so clearly something did not function properly.

I like self-driving cars. Can you imagine all the time you can recover?
Driving to and from work. You can get some personal Laptop shit done without family.

Some must die to work the bugs out.

undeniably the pedestrian's fault...very stupid [ human ] crossing a 45mph zone at night!
Video shows moment an Uber driverless car kills a woman in Arizona | Daily Mail Online
A car doesn't kill people, People do.

btw. I had a car start on its own and take off. Manual transmission.
cars are continuously redesigned for survival
cars are used 24/7 everyday by millions
cars are very safe
rarely used in murder
Till Uber! Are we jailing cars now?

btw..Dentist who killed husband with car over affair granted parole

undeniably the pedestrian's fault...very stupid [ human ] crossing a 45mph zone at night!
Video shows moment an Uber driverless car kills a woman in Arizona | Daily Mail Online

cars are very safe
rarely used in murder

???!!WTF are you yakking about?

cars are very safe
rarely used in murder

As Uber cars will keep killing people.
Do we arrest the owner or the car?

And if the car is found running on the wrong gas. That
car BE driving on 92 Octane. Where is was to be on 87 Octane?
Would this be called a DUO?

Last edited:

cars are very safe
rarely used in murder

if it's not murder--which most car accidents are not murder/manslaughter/etc, you don't get arrested
pretty simple--common sense....you might get a ticket, but not arrested so much

Last edited:

cars are very safe
rarely used in murder

it is obvious the lady walked in front of the car at night---car and driver not to blame at all

cars are very safe
rarely used in murder

it is obvious the lady walked in front of the car at night---car and driver not to blame at all

That's the way it looked to me in the video. I can understand wanting to find out why the software did not seem to react at all, though.

cars are very safe
rarely used in murder

if it's not murder--which most car accidents are not murder/manslaughter/etc, you don't get arrested

If a car can drive itself, it planned the murder of the person crossing the street.
Did they give it a DUO test at the tailpipe just to know the facts? I'm sure it was driving without
a Drivers Lic. as well. Really here, I can't drive a registered car without a Lic..

cars are very safe
rarely used in murder

If a car can drive itself, it planned the murder of the person crossing the street.
Did they give it a DUO test at the tailpipe just to know the facts? I'm sure it was driving without
a Drivers Lic. as well. Really here, I can't drive a registered car without a Lic..
not murder--sorry..not even close...if it was, the driver would be arrested
most car accidents are ----------accidents ...not murder...not manslaughter...etc
accidents ---HUGE difference ...that's why the drivers are not put in jail for 20 years for an accident

cars are very safe
rarely used in murder

That's the way it looked to me in the video. I can understand wanting to find out why the software did not seem to react at all, though.

I can see people putting
Radar Jammers in their cars so to get hit in the back for YUGE Paydays.
Or Just to destroy the car's sensors. So these cars will go off everywhere.
There are so many Jammers that
will make this car danger on the road.
Yes, the PC car driver will stop if they go dead. But how do you cover Jammers?

Yeah, I heard that and there was a driver also in the car.
This is one of my fears. I just don’t know how they can respond properly to every given situation.
When will the tech world stop using or being allowed to use the human being world as guinea pig's for their wacked out inventions ?? Things are moving way to fast these day's, and why is this ??? This is a human being world not an artificial intelligence world. AI works for us, and not us for them.

The crash and death of the lady was clearly the tech world's fault. It was an unexceptable thing, and the technology should be immediately banned until a government panel is formed to fully assess the situation, and either shelve the technology until proven in the future or shut it down completely.

Corporations figuring out ways to increase their bottom lines through any means nessesary needs to be stopped, and then reviewed by a panel who would decide how Corporate America will be affecting this nation in the future when it comes to technical technologies.

Yes, Uber should face a huge lawsuit that might need to push it back to it's original purpose of using part time people to provide a service to others while abiding by proper regulations, conditions, and rules.

not murder--sorry..not even close...if it was, the driver would be arrested
most car accidents are ----------accidents ...not murder...not manslaughter...etc
accidents ---HUGE difference ...that's why the drivers are not put in jail for 20 years for an accident
Manslaughter could be sought in this case against Uber, and the technology maker correct ?

Forum List

Back