Unarmed exchange student killed by homeowner

Status
Not open for further replies.
you have to draw the line somewhere.....i dont draw it at taking property outside of my home..but you violate my home and i have ever right to defend myself and my family....how many home invasions have gone well for the home owner and family

lets just take this one for example:

Cheshire, Connecticut, home invasion murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

raped and burned alive......

and who knows who is armed when they break in .....i dont assume you came to my house to rob me with a finger in your pocket....and i sure the hell am not assuming that someone breaking into my home is unarmed

you have to draw the line somewhere.....i dont draw it at taking property outside of my home..but you violate my home and i have ever right to defend myself and my family....how many home invasions have gone well for the home owner and family

lets just take this one for example:

Cheshire, Connecticut, home invasion murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

raped and burned alive......

and who knows who is armed when they break in .....i dont assume you came to my house to rob me with a finger in your pocket....and i sure the hell am not assuming that someone breaking into my home is unarmed
The second tragedy is that this thug Hayes will never be executed in Connecticut. You have to admire the states that put scum to death.

Once again you completely fail to address the question and deflect off somewhere irrelevant. Seems to be a pattern. Some "pilot"...

I answered thew question asked in the post to which I responded.

Well no you didn't. The question was about the advisability of spraying buckshot willy-nilly into the dark and establishing whether a potential threat really is one. You came back with ruminations on castle doctrines. As I said -- evasive.

-- Or does your answer mean you will always side with irresponsible use of firearms?

Was it his house to sling buck shot in? Who are you to tell someone they can't protect themself? NOBODY! thank you and have a nice day!

Well no you didn't. The question was about the advisability of spraying buckshot willy-nilly into the dark and establishing whether a potential threat really is one. You came back with ruminations on castle doctrines. As I said -- evasive.

-- Or does your answer mean you will always side with irresponsible use of firearms?

Was it his house to sling buck shot in? Who are you to tell someone they can't protect themself? NOBODY! thank you and have a nice day!

Is your name Skull Pilot? Or are you too dense to read your own name?

"themself"? :dunno:

Dept. of Curiouser and Curiouser, a/k/a News of the Weird:

>> The Missoula law firm that is representing a Grant Creek resident accused of murdering a German exchange student will host a live showing of the U.S.-Germany World Cup soccer match on big-screen televisions in Caras Park on Thursday.

Paul Ryan & Associates sent an announcement to the media Tuesday, saying it will host the free live showing at 10 a.m. Thursday. The game will be shown on two 65-inch televisions.

... In a phone interview, Ryan said the soccer game’s live showing has nothing to do with his firm’s involvement in Kaarma’s defense. (Ryan contends that his client was acting in defense of his family when he fired three shots at 17-year-old Diren Dede.)

Ryan said the fact that Germany is playing the U.S. is purely a coincidence.

“Honestly, that didn’t cross my mind,” Ryan said. “We were just excited about the game and we wanted to provide this to the community. I hope it doesn’t turn into something negative. It’s just a weird timing of the two teams that match up. It doesn’t have anything to do with our case. Hopefully, people can forget about those things and watch a soccer game. We just did it as a community event.” <<​

"Who, me?" :dunno:

>> Judge McLean also told Kaarma's attorney Paul Ryan to not host a public viewing of the USA-Germany World Cup match in Caras Park as Ryan had planned on doing.

McLean said this was not a time to run "a public relations campaign" and Ryan should "knock it off." << :lol:
-- Tentative Trial Date Set

>> Attorney Paul Ryan responded by canceling plans to host a free community screening of Thursday’s U.S.-Germany soccer match, insisting he never made the connection between slain student Diren Dede’s nationality and love for soccer, and the U.S.-Germany matchup in the World Cup.

District Judge Ed McLean made the connection quickly during Wednesday morning’s omnibus hearing.

“In this morning’s Missoulian, there’s an article about the televised soccer event,” McLean said. “I don’t want any playing to the public when we have serious business at hand, and it’s not the time to run a public relations campaign. So knock it off.”

Ryan’s client, Markus Kaarma, is charged with deliberate homicide for fatally shooting the unarmed teenager in his Grant Creek garage on April 27. Dede was an all-state soccer player and Big Sky High School student; he also played soccer in his home country [Germany]. <<​
-- Missoulian

Paul Ryan is Kaarma's attorney and he didn't make the connection. Brilliant. :doubt:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Is your name Skull Pilot? Or are you too dense to read your own name?

"themself"? :dunno:

yep, 'themself' OMG

>> The Missoula law firm that is representing a Grant Creek resident accused of murdering a German exchange student will host a live showing of the U.S.-Germany World Cup soccer match on big-screen televisions in Caras Park on Thursday.

Paul Ryan & Associates sent an announcement to the media Tuesday, saying it will host the free live showing at 10 a.m. Thursday. The game will be shown on two 65-inch televisions.

... In a phone interview, Ryan said the soccer game&#8217;s live showing has nothing to do with his firm&#8217;s involvement in Kaarma&#8217;s defense. (Ryan contends that his client was acting in defense of his family when he fired three shots at 17-year-old Diren Dede.)

&#8220;Honestly, that didn&#8217;t cross my mind,&#8221; Ryan said. &#8220;We were just excited about the game and we wanted to provide this to the community. I hope it doesn&#8217;t turn into something negative. It&#8217;s just a weird timing of the two teams that match up. It doesn&#8217;t have anything to do with our case. Hopefully, people can forget about those things and watch a soccer game. We just did it as a community event.&#8221; <<​

>> Judge McLean also told Kaarma's attorney Paul Ryan to not host a public viewing of the USA-Germany World Cup match in Caras Park as Ryan had planned on doing.

McLean said this was not a time to run "a public relations campaign" and Ryan should "knock it off." << :lol:

>> Attorney Paul Ryan responded by canceling plans to host a free community screening of Thursday&#8217;s U.S.-Germany soccer match, insisting he never made the connection between slain student Diren Dede&#8217;s nationality and love for soccer, and the U.S.-Germany matchup in the World Cup.

District Judge Ed McLean made the connection quickly during Wednesday morning&#8217;s omnibus hearing.

&#8220;In this morning&#8217;s Missoulian, there&#8217;s an article about the televised soccer event,&#8221; McLean said. &#8220;I don&#8217;t want any playing to the public when we have serious business at hand, and it&#8217;s not the time to run a public relations campaign. So knock it off.&#8221;

Ryan&#8217;s client, Markus Kaarma, is charged with deliberate homicide for fatally shooting the unarmed teenager in his Grant Creek garage on April 27. Dede was an all-state soccer player and Big Sky High School student; he also played soccer in his home country [Germany]. <<​
-- Missoulian

Paul Ryan is Kaarma's attorney and he didn't make the connection. Brilliant. :doubt:

Hey, it's a normal thing -- I've certainly been going to the local attorney's office for World Cup broadcasts, haven't you? Just a coincidence, c'mon.

It does show us not only what kind of tactic the defense is prone to, but what he thinks he's up against considering all of this:

53648fdf5e795.preview-620.jpg
53648fc47ee83.preview-620.jpg
A0898CD8CFBE48F5407FC5CD6D2D7241_787_442.jpg
DirenDede_MissoulaIndependent.jpg
0.jpg

Candlelight vigil at the Missoula high school​

This is after all the population from which a jury will be drawn.
Pure coincidence though.

Meanwhile in Hamburg:

image-692545-galleryV9-htms.jpg

Sign at protest in Hamburg reads: "The U.S. Shares Blame for Diren's Murder With Their Laws (Der Spiegel)​

Last edited:

... In a phone interview, Ryan said the soccer game’s live showing has nothing to do with his firm’s involvement in Kaarma’s defense. (Ryan contends that his client was acting in defense of his family when he fired three shots at 17-year-old Diren Dede.)

“Honestly, that didn’t cross my mind,” Ryan said. “We were just excited about the game and we wanted to provide this to the community. I hope it doesn’t turn into something negative. It’s just a weird timing of the two teams that match up. It doesn’t have anything to do with our case. Hopefully, people can forget about those things and watch a soccer game. We just did it as a community event.” <<​

>> Attorney Paul Ryan responded by canceling plans to host a free community screening of Thursday’s U.S.-Germany soccer match, insisting he never made the connection between slain student Diren Dede’s nationality and love for soccer, and the U.S.-Germany matchup in the World Cup.

District Judge Ed McLean made the connection quickly during Wednesday morning’s omnibus hearing.

“In this morning’s Missoulian, there’s an article about the televised soccer event,” McLean said. “I don’t want any playing to the public when we have serious business at hand, and it’s not the time to run a public relations campaign. So knock it off.”

Ryan’s client, Markus Kaarma, is charged with deliberate homicide for fatally shooting the unarmed teenager in his Grant Creek garage on April 27. Dede was an all-state soccer player and Big Sky High School student; he also played soccer in his home country [Germany]. <<​
-- Missoulian

Hey, it's a normal thing -- I've certainly been going to the local attorney's office for World Cup broadcasts, haven't you? Just a coincidence, c'mon.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

As I have said over and over any person entering your home uninvited in the middle of the night IS a threat to your or your family's safety.

No, they're an intruder. "Threat" as a definition requires more than in imaginary "because I say so".

To follow this logic those evil cars involved in those evil traffic accidents are threats too. Matter of fact so are guns. Not the gun owner -- the gun itself. They're threats, because your imagination makes possibilities into "threats". Your own logic in action. Be proud.

And it is never irresponsible to protect your family in your own home.

No it isn't.

But that's not related here. Kaarma wasn't even in his own home. He left the home and went to his preplanned ambush point. The one he had set up for a week.

And you still failed to answer the question. Not that I expected anything but more deflection by now...

Last edited:

-- Missoulian

It does show us not only what kind of tactic the defense is prone to, but what he thinks he's up against considering all of this:

0.jpg

Pure coincidence though.

Meanwhile in Hamburg:

Sign at protest in Hamburg reads: "The U.S. Shares Blame for Diren's Murder With Their Laws (Der Spiegel)​

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Read the thread. .. rinse and repeat

tapatalk post

How the fuck do you think I was able to post in the thread if I didn't read it??

So -- you have nothing.

Next.

Your point is that you are dishonest? We already knew this

tapatalk post

Which one of us failed to back up his point?

-- Exactly. Don't strain yourself here with the profundity of tapatalk posts. You have a customer who wants $1.73 worth of gas. That's about all you can handle.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Have you a point, sir?

Yep, you're boring. You didn't catch that with the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Is it you need a definition of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz? LOL

In Hamburg, the reaction is understandable...

Ditto for Montana...

In the early going, right after the shooting...

But, as I said earlier...

I wonder what the Missoula, Montana reaction would have been...

Had they known at the time, that Dede was in the process of committing a burglary when he was killed...

And had they known that Dede's companion that night had confessed that he and Dede had robbed garages on a couple of occasions prior to the night of the shooting...

The popular reaction might have been a wee-bit more muted...

Rather like a big homecoming parade being planned for Bowe whats-his-face, after his release in Afghanistan...

Once the townfolk discovered that he was suspected of Desertion...

Instant parade-cancellation...

Under the cover of 'safety concerns'...

But with the certain and unspoken understanding that Americans don't honor deserters...

No town likes to look foolish, in retrospect...

Same principle here...

If the townfolk had known then, what they knew later (aboud Dede's criminality)...

There's a good chance these cutesy little canndlelight vigils might not have taken place at all, or, at least, they might have been far more sparsely attended...

As things stand now, given that these demonstrations (in Montana) took place so hard on the heels of the shooting, before the particulars were known...

I'm not sure that these images will hold-up under a closer scrutiny, as evidence of popular discontent over the situation...

-- Missoulian

0.jpg

Pure coincidence though.

Meanwhile in Hamburg:

[MENTION=20204]Kondor3[/MENTION] --

What gives you the impression they didn't know all the details, both in Missoula and in Hamburg? :confused:

The charge on Kaarma was made a day after the shooting. The candlelight vigil was a week after.

From a story on the vigil:

>> By Friday, the ribbons hung on fence posts and mailboxes in front of almost every home in the neighborhood. A memorial set up in the lawn of Dede&#8217;s host family featured empty Sprite cans, letters and a large German flag.

&#8220;I feel like, in a way, it brought everyone together,&#8221; Koster said. &#8220;It&#8217;s a really sad way to bring everyone together, but it&#8217;s really nice seeing all the ribbons hanging everywhere.&#8221;

Leslie Wozniak lives right across the street from where Dede died. She helped organize the vigil because she felt something needed to happen.

&#8220;We&#8217;re so helpless, and you need to feel like you&#8217;ve done something,&#8221; she explained. &#8220;Plus, I just want to send a message to the family that this is not something that happens here. And that this is Missoula, Montana, right here. All this love is what we&#8217;re about, not that one isolated incident of craziness.&#8221;

Wozniak said she has lived in the neighborhood for 17 years and the worst thing that&#8217;s ever happened to her house is an egging. She said she hasn&#8217;t gotten to know Kaarma or his common-law wife, Janelle Pflager, even though they moved in last September.

&#8220;He never comes out of his house, but they&#8217;ve only been there since September, and winter was moving in,&#8221; she said. &#8220;And I think they went to Mexico for a month, and they have an 8-month-old baby. But I guess if you move into a neighborhood with kids you want to come out and meet people, and I know everyone is different and people are private, but I guess you move into a neighborhood like ours, that&#8217;s kind of what I expect is because you want to be a part of the neighborhood. There are plenty of girls who could babysit for them. It&#8217;s just absolutely senseless.&#8221;

Wozniak said the neighborhood will be forever tainted by what happened.

&#8220;How does anyone cope with this?&#8221; she asked. &#8220;You don&#8217;t ever get over something like this. Every time I look across the street and see that house, it&#8217;s going to remind me of that. You can&#8217;t make any sense out of it at all.&#8221;

...At Friday night&#8217;s vigil, Dana Kowachek, a junior at Big Sky, held a sign that said &#8220;Castle Doctrine my (expletive),&#8221; referring to the Montana law that allows homeowners to use deadly force without calling police if they feel an intruder in their home is a threat to their life.

&#8220;(Diren) was one of my good friends,&#8221; Kowachek said. &#8220;It was tragic obviously. You can imagine if one of your best friends died, that&#8217;s how I felt. But you know, time heals, we&#8217;re getting through it. We have a lot of support (at Big Sky).&#8221;

Koster said the death of Dede was a shock to all the students.

&#8220;All the soccer guys are really good friends with him and they are just devastated, it&#8217;s so sad,&#8221; she said. &#8220;He was a really nice guy. He&#8217;s just friends with everyone. Everyone knew him. Everyone is just really crushed, obviously.&#8221;

Koster said that having to go to school was both painful and a healing experience.

&#8220;I&#8217;ve never seen so many people sad at one time,&#8221; she said. &#8220;When we came in on Tuesday morning, it was just like the saddest thing. I didn&#8217;t even want to walk through the hallways. I was already sad myself, but when you see people around you. Everyone is mourning together. I guess it&#8217;s good that we have each other. It brought people together in the weirdest way. You see people supporting each other, even though it&#8217;s just a terrible loss. I feel like it really showed how much of a family we are at Big Sky. Everyone just cares so much about each other I guess. Even people I didn&#8217;t know ask me if I&#8217;m OK and how I&#8217;m coping with it.&#8221; <<​

This ^^ is what the defense attorney was trying to pander away.

Interesting aside from the above -- does:
"But I guess if you move into a neighborhood with kids you want to come out and meet people, and I know everyone is different and people are private, but I guess you move into a neighborhood like ours, that&#8217;s kind of what I expect is because you want to be a part of the neighborhood. There are plenty of girls who could babysit for them. It&#8217;s just absolutely senseless.&#8221;

-- remind you of:

"well, he was a loner -- he kept to himself..." ?

Psychologically significant, methinks.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Have you a point, sir?

Yep, you're boring. You didn't catch that with the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Is it you need a definition of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz? LOL

Pogo's turn of phrase went over your head jc, lol.

LL

That's just odd. Me, when I come across a thread that bores me I just move on to something else. This guy puts on a Zorro costume. :dunno:

What gives you the impression they didn't know all the details, both in Missoula and in Hamburg? :confused: ...

Originally, common sense and instinct.

Afterwards (after looking it all up, to confirm that gut-instinct call), fact, rather than impression.

=======================================

Re: Missoula...

The candlelight vigil in Missoula was held on Friday night, May 2...

Diren Dede honored with vigil in Missoula

Kaarma defense attorney Paul Ryan did not publicly announce that he had seen a separate police report which included a confession by Dede's accomplice, until May 6...

http://helenair.com/news/local/defense-attorney-exchange-students-were-garage-hopping-before-fatal-shooting/article_3df821d4-d56e-11e3-aaa4-001a4bcf887a.html

Consequently, the vigil occurred four (4) days (May 2) prior to the public disclosure (May 6) that Dede's companion had confessed that they were engaged in burglary at the time of the shooting, and that they had engaged in similar burglaries on multiple occasions in the recent past.

=========================================

Re: Hamburg - I have no idea whether or not they knew the particulars of the case at the time of the demonstration. I was not referring to the Hamburg demonstration at the time of my original post on the subject. I also am unconvinced that it would make any difference on their end in Hamburg; unlike the probable difference in Missoula, had the particulars been known at the time of the vigil.

Gotta love it, when common-sense and gut-instinct end-up being vindicated by cold, hard fact.
wink_smile.gif

Last edited:

What gives you the impression they didn't know all the details, both in Missoula and in Hamburg? :confused: ...

Originally, common sense and instinct.

Afterwards (after looking it all up, to confirm that gut-instinct call), fact, rather than impression.

=======================================

Re: Missoula...

The candlelight vigil in Missoula was held on Friday night, May 2...

Diren Dede honored with vigil in Missoula

Kaarma defense attorney Paul Ryan did not publicly announce that he had seen a separate police report which included a confession by Dede's accomplice, until May 6...

Defense attorney: Exchange students were 'garage hopping' before fatal shooting

Consequently, the vigil occurred four (4) days (May 2) prior to the public disclosure (May 6) that Dede's companion had confessed that they were engaged in burglary at the time of the shooting, and that they had engaged in similar burglaries on multiple occasions in the recent past.

Re: Hamburg - I have no idea whether or not they knew the particulars of the case at the time of the demonstration. I was not referring to the Hamburg demonstration at the time of my original post on the subject. I also am unconvinced that it would make any difference on their end in Hamburg; unlike the probable difference in Missoula, had the particulars been known at the time of the vigil.

Gotta love it, when common-sense and gut-instinct end-up being vindicated by cold, hard fact.
wink_smile.gif

Geez K, you're really getting desperate here -- this is almost as good as putting hairdresser in quotes and bold font in hopes to make the term unreal...

Anyway it's odd, if no one knew the circumstances in Missoula, that word was already in Germany and commented on by the German Consulate in San Francisco in a story dated April 29th. But somehow nobody in Missoula knew?

:eusa_hand:

The Ecuadoran kid that had been with him went to Diren's house up the street immediately after the gunshots, hoping to find him there. I think word was out pretty quick. They didn't need a statement from a lawyer about how he was going to handle defense. The police had done their report and made their charges the day after the shooting --- which contains ALL those details.

I mean I know the local attorney's office is the go-to point for watching World Cup events but as a source of everyday news.... ? Sloppy work, sorry.

Moreover, you're trying to float this "been there before" crap. That's about half a dozen of you that have tried to float this myth. Still at it I see.

"Nobody knew the known circumstances".... "hairdressers aren't real"... "burglled before".... yeah I see a "continuing pattern"...

Last edited:
News flash! Pogo and all liberals think you should be killed and your wife and daughters raped and murdered if a person breaks in to your home because the criminal might just want to steal a nicknack!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back