Under Bush US's 400 richest doubled their wealth

Those who can ...do
Those who can't ....teach
Those who can't teach ....teach others to teach
Those who can't teach others to teach ....sell insurance

...Just an old "saw" and not intended to apply to any persons or groups at this forum

:lol:

having sold insurance at one point in my life, I'm not sure how to take that one.

The kind of insurance I'm referring to in the old saw is the kind that is sold on the street, or in congress, where the price is "buy it or else" I think. :eusa_whistle:

and the premiums are collected weekly...in cash?

kinda like taxes.

I must agree. I'm trying to teach my 8th graders the opportunities and risks of the stock market. Seems like the best time to teach both. Their parents have already shared horrors, now seems the time to teach the possibilities. I'm hoping to get them in their trading groups within the next two to three weeks, so that we may return to WWI and beyond! :lol:

My above post was not intended to offend any teacher, college professor, or insurance agent, only the dregs from those realms.

A good place to encourage young people to develop their business skills and get inspiration is "Junior Achievement" in Junior and High School.

It is a noble thing to encourage the young to explore, and to find the value in the use of their talents. That is the future, as it was just after the depression. My own father went out every day for allmost all his adult life, and found a place to work and sell his services and talents usefully to those with "wealth".

The idea of Jr. Achievement is good. In 8 years of utilizing it I had 2 instructors that were able to get the ideas across to the kids. Not their fault, they weren't really taught how to teach, ya know by some idiot.

The lower grade teachers have had better results. I've nixed Jr. Achievement in 7th grade, the last one left in tears, threatening to call the diocese about the rudeness of the kids. They weren't rude, just confused by the information.

Well this is one teacher that has a 4.0 from University of Chicago in sociology and political science. A 4.0 in history from Elmhurst. A 4.0 MS in Ed. Admin from St. Francis.

I've held management position for AT&T, until I left to raise my children.

I was accepted to Northwestern Law, but chose a different path. So I think I can 'do', I choose to teach. Oh yeah, I sold insurance for awhile, won a trip too.

Are there teachers that couldn't cut it in other fields? Sure. But they had enough to get through Gen Ed and the rest. Some are better than others. Give me a person that wants to teach, has struggled themselves with academics, you've got the makings of a teacher that will help all of their kids excel.

Annie, IMHO a good teacher is worth (his or) her weight in gold. My most admired people from my past still are my best teachers. I have called them and told them so. I was lucky to have lots of them.

Annie bee there and done that. I felt at the time around 1977 most of my professional ed classes weren't worth the time and money it cost me to take them and most of them are a joke. Had one prof actually told me that he wasn't going to correct some misinformation he'd given a class of 180 because he didn't want to confuse anyone. I taught Elementary school for a year in a small town out in the middle of no where. I took a 12 dollar cut in take home pay to quit going to school and stqrt teaching it.
All thios so I could be cussed out by the prettiest little blonde hared blue eyed 5 year old girl you ever saw for asking her why she was in the building in hour before any kids were supposed to be on the premises, threatened by a 13 year old boy weilding a pocket knife one day on the playground. I'd already resigned by then but hey the kid learned one thing if nothing else that semester name;ly that a 40 year old pocket knife that hasn't seen a whetstone in 20 years doesn't make you scary enough to frighten some people.

Well this is one teacher that has a 4.0 from University of Chicago in sociology and political science. A 4.0 in history from Elmhurst. A 4.0 MS in Ed. Admin from St. Francis.

I was accepted to Northwestern Law, but chose a different path. So I think I can 'do', I choose to teach. Oh yeah, I sold insurance for awhile, won a trip too.

Are there teachers that couldn't cut it in other fields? Sure. But they had enough to get through Gen Ed and the rest. Some are better than others. Give me a person that wants to teach, has struggled themselves with academics, you've got the makings of a teacher that will help all of their kids excel.

Annie, IMHO a good teacher is worth (his or) her weight in gold. My most admired people from my past still are my best teachers. I have called them and told them so. I was lucky to have lots of them.

Kudos to you for that. I think it would behoove all of us 'former students' to be careful in criticizing those that helped us get where we are, wherever that is. I hated, not too strong a word, the parochial school I attended 1-6. I loved kindergarten, jr. high, both public. I hated high school, but not because of the teachers as much as social, though I did well, academically, despite missing over 200 days in 4 years. ;) (Tells you something).

Indeed I think that the vast majority of teachers are very caring, even inspirational to their students. I'd bet the average person gets through k-12 with 3 'bad' teachers. Not good, but considering what the job is, even those 3 may have just been a personality clash, the child still learns. I would guess that the average student is lucky to have exceptional teachers 3-5 times during those years. With that said, to the individual student, those may be one of their 3 'bad' teachers. So much is interaction and style of the learner and teacher imperative to perception.

Oh I'm certain there are school districts where the bad are too common, but it's not the norm. Even in the worst of areas, motivated students succeed way beyond the expectations. So much of education is the child's ability and attitude. The teacher and their flexibility and empathy, the administration and the support available to both the student and teacher.

Rambling, perhaps. It's important, whether a student, parent, teacher, or citizen. 'Our children are our future.'

Those who can ...do
Those who can't ....teach
Those who can't teach ....teach others to teach
Those who can't teach others to teach ....sell insurance

...Just an old "saw" and not intended to apply to any persons or groups at this forum

maybe you teachers should learn how to take a joke and not be so defensive.
Maybe we can tell the difference? Clue.

Kudos to you for that. I think it would behoove all of us 'former students' to be careful in criticizing those that helped us get where we are, wherever that is. I hated, not too strong a word, the parochial school I attended 1-6. I loved kindergarten, jr. high, both public. I hated high school, but not because of the teachers as much as social, though I did well, academically, despite missing over 200 days in 4 years. ;) (Tells you something).

Indeed I think that the vast majority of teachers are very caring, even inspirational to their students. I'd bet the average person gets through k-12 with 3 'bad' teachers. Not good, but considering what the job is, even those 3 may have just been a personality clash, the child still learns. I would guess that the average student is lucky to have exceptional teachers 3-5 times during those years. With that said, to the individual student, those may be one of their 3 'bad' teachers. So much is interaction and style of the learner and teacher imperative to perception.

Oh I'm certain there are school districts where the bad are too common, but it's not the norm. Even in the worst of areas, motivated students succeed way beyond the expectations. So much of education is the child's ability and attitude. The teacher and their flexibility and empathy, the administration and the support available to both the student and teacher.

Rambling, perhaps. It's important, whether a student, parent, teacher, or citizen. 'Our children are our future.'

I appreciate where you're coming from, I really do. I bet it is like that is a lot of places, but it wasn't my experience. I can't remember ever being encouraged by a teacher. I got lots of "well honey, girls aren't supposed to be good at math" and "You've got a sunny personality, you'll do fine." or "You're pretty, just find a good man..." but I wouldn't exactly call that encouragement. And those are the positive things teachers said to me.

I know now that if I had applied myself I could have done better, and I blame myself for not taking advantage of the opportunity I had. I don't think I would have ever been a star student or the teachers pet kind of student, but it would have been better than the looks they did give me that ranged from pity to scorn to lust (and you wonder why I think old people having sex is creepy :lol:).

Even when I did try hard I could never do better than Cs or Ds. I think I got a B a couple times in HS, but it was in non-academic classes. Fs were pretty common tho. Luckily for me they like to keep things moving so I was always passed to the next grade, but I have no idea how it happened. It was like I was swallowed up by a monster, tossed around inside for 12 years and pooped out the other end not really sure what had happened.

That isn't obvious to you?!

No, it's not.

I grew up in a rural area, it would have been easy to just wander off and find a place no one was using or cared about and made a home. I'm not saying it would be easy like Americans are used to. There would be no electricity or running water, no cable tv or internet. But it could be done and you'd be free.

If you were ever found out... go 100 miles in any direction and start over. It would be a hassle but very do-able.

I'm just saying that it's possible to get off the grid if really want to. I suspect that people don't do it because they don't want to give up modern conveniences. If that's the case then it's a choice, not slavery. And that's my point, we're all willing participants. We can say we're in because we're patriots or we can say we're in because we don't see any problems and like having TV. The point is we choose to stay part of the system.

In other words be a homeless vagabon?

You think that's easy?

Try it some time.

The three 401k's I participated in there was no choice other than investing in the stock market with mutual funds if you wanted to get your company MATCH for retirement...

They came to us with a little wheel, telling us if you invested X amount in the lower interest fund then when you retire you will have 654,000 dollars and if you invest Y amount you will have $1,234,000 by the time you retire....you could do different scenarios on the wheel to figure out how much you wanted to have taken out of your paycheck every month....

The wheel thingy, NEVER SAID you would LOSE money.....NEVER....

The company i was working for, cut out their guaranteed pension plan for us, and said the 401k was it....take it of leave it...

if you don't know that when money goes into the stock market, there is the possibility of losing that is simply ignorance on your part. I'm not aware of many 401ks that aren't invested in teh stock market. What were thinking. A 401k made up of bonds maybe? That would kinda defeat the purpose given their rate of return.

If you didn't know, you didn't know I guess. But you have a duty to yourself to educate yourself about what you are putting your money into beforehand. The pleading ignorance has to stop and like it or not is one of the many reasons we are in the trouble we're in.

Last edited:

I appreciate where you're coming from, I really do. I bet it is like that is a lot of places, but it wasn't my experience. I can't remember ever being encouraged by a teacher. I got lots of "well honey, girls aren't supposed to be good at math" and "You've got a sunny personality, you'll do fine." or "You're pretty, just find a good man..." but I wouldn't exactly call that encouragement. And those are the positive things teachers said to me.

I know now that if I had applied myself I could have done better, and I blame myself for not taking advantage of the opportunity I had. I don't think I would have ever been a star student or the teachers pet kind of student, but it would have been better than the looks they did give me that ranged from pity to scorn to lust (and you wonder why I think old people having sex is creepy :lol:).

Even when I did try hard I could never do better than Cs or Ds. I think I got a B a couple times in HS, but it was in non-academic classes. Fs were pretty common tho. Luckily for me they like to keep things moving so I was always passed to the next grade, but I have no idea how it happened. It was like I was swallowed up by a monster, tossed around inside for 12 years and pooped out the other end not really sure what had happened.

Obviously I don't have access to your records. I will say that reading what you post, knowing your age, and taking into account what you are saying about teacher feedback, there's something very amiss. PM me if you wish, but I'd be very curious about your standardize scores. If in a 'competitive' school district, you may have feel below the 'high average.' In which case, the teachers should have been wondering why you seem both mature and intuitive. Something is wrong, my suggestion, chalk it up to bad schools, know you are on the right path and capable of achieving what you will.

Ed it is a new day new deal for the Amish. we were out at Rod's sister's house last night. Her ex bought her a look a like fireplace. The case is wood (looks like a China put together). The heater is made in China. Nice little tag on the back that has the little horse and buggy logo, plus written on the tag "inspected by Amos."

Over four hundred daollars he paid for it. First day the fire light spinner took a dump.

Yeah, right..the Amish.

Tell a story about the Amish...well, more about my Dad.

Years ago, back I was still a young kid, we were driving down Rt 22 headed into Amish country.

And there's a huge sign for a restaurant " Amish Home Cooking" it claimed

That's absolutely true, my fathered quipped." That's exactly where the Amish are this morning...home cooking"

I see those advertisments for that heating system, too.

They're no more Amish than I am the Pope.

That isn't obvious to you?!

No, it's not.

I grew up in a rural area, it would have been easy to just wander off and find a place no one was using or cared about and made a home. I'm not saying it would be easy like Americans are used to. There would be no electricity or running water, no cable tv or internet. But it could be done and you'd be free.

If you were ever found out... go 100 miles in any direction and start over. It would be a hassle but very do-able.

I'm just saying that it's possible to get off the grid if really want to. I suspect that people don't do it because they don't want to give up modern conveniences. If that's the case then it's a choice, not slavery. And that's my point, we're all willing participants. We can say we're in because we're patriots or we can say we're in because we don't see any problems and like having TV. The point is we choose to stay part of the system.

You think that's easy?

Try it some time.

You're only homeless if you don't have a home. I said make one. I also didn't say it would be easy, but billions of people have done it so it's definitely possible. It isn't like modern life as we know it but a lot of what's good or bad is in your attitude toward it. If freedom means that much to you, you would do it and smile. If you'd be happier being a tool of capitalism then there's that.

And don't think for a second I couldn't do it if I had to. I've shot, field dressed, skinned and butchered my own food. I'm not scared of bugs, I can handle an axe, and can make fire. I know enough about medicine that unless they were gonna die anyway they won't die in my care. Just about everyone I grew up with could handle living off the grid if they had to. See, there are other advantages to being a hillbilly/redneck/hick besides being right about politics. :tongue:

No, it's not.

You think that's easy?

Try it some time.

You're only homeless if you don't have a home. I said make one. I also didn't say it would be easy, but billions of people have done it so it's definitely possible. It isn't like modern life as we know it but a lot of what's good or bad is in your attitude toward it. If freedom means that much to you, you would do it and smile. If you'd be happier being a tool of capitalism then there's that.

And don't think for a second I couldn't do it if I had to. I've shot, field dressed, skinned and butchered my own food. I'm not scared of bugs, I can handle an axe, and can make fire. I know enough about medicine that unless they were gonna die anyway they won't die in my care. Just about everyone I grew up with could handle living off the grid if they had to. See, there are other advantages to being a hillbilly/redneck/hick besides being right about politics. :tongue:

Oh my Amanda, you make a good point.

Let me add to it some ............

For 20 years we had a man who worked for us which could not read, could not write, was deemed medically slow, he never knew his parents and he was raised in a boys group home in WV. He wasn't even sure of his own age or birthday.

He could not pass a driving test, so he walked, took a bus or rode his bicycle. He had no skilled trade and most likely could not pass any testes to get one.

He did clean up work for us. He worked for us for 20 years or more. He learned to count money and how to get money orders to pay bills. He signed his name with a X until we taught him to print his first and last name. He paid his bills, got married, had a child and then purchased a home, all during those 20 some odd years. He came to us from a homeless shelter.

Now someone tell me how much lower one can go or begin from?

Yet, he lived the American dream.

He didn't live in a castle, but, his home was anything but a dump or in a really bad area. Yes, he had to work long hours, he was limited to that.

But he chose to make it. He wanted to make it.

It's a personal choice. Period.

No, it's not.

You think that's easy?

Try it some time.

Amanda your deal says KC. Just curious how do you get started on that living the wild American dream?
Property even as cheap as it is here is still a couple thousand an acre. That is if you can buy 40 acres plus or luck out on a tax sale or foreclosure.

In order to get that little acreage to live off the grid you must have a starting point. Even then you'll need to be able to pay taxes, have fuel to cut wood, a small kitty for the first years crop, canning jars unless all you are eating in the winter is what you can shoot, a gun and ammo cost too. Where are you getting that initial layout to live off the land if you do not participate in the capitalism program first?

Obviously I don't have access to your records. I will say that reading what you post, knowing your age, and taking into account what you are saying about teacher feedback, there's something very amiss. PM me if you wish, but I'd be very curious about your standardize scores. If in a 'competitive' school district, you may have feel below the 'high average.' In which case, the teachers should have been wondering why you seem both mature and intuitive. Something is wrong, my suggestion, chalk it up to bad schools, know you are on the right path and capable of achieving what you will.

My teachers didn't know anything about me as a person. They never asked and I didn't talk very much, especially not to them. I do feel like I've found myself and I'm working hard to achieve my dreams. Like I said, I blame me more than I blame them. I'm actually jealous that teachers somewhere really care about their students and I guess I'm a little bitter that I wasted so much time.

Amanda your deal says KC. Just curious how do you get started on that living the wild American dream?
Property even as cheap as it is here is still a couple thousand an acre. That is if you can buy 40 acres plus or luck out on a tax sale or foreclosure.

In order to get that little acreage to live off the grid you must have a starting point. Even then you'll need to be able to pay taxes, have fuel to cut wood, a small kitty for the first years crop, canning jars unless all you are eating in the winter is what you can shoot, a gun and ammo cost too. Where are you getting that initial layout to live off the land if you do not participate in the capitalism program first?

I moved to KC after I graduated from HS.

I'm not talking about buying property, I'm talking about going to no one cares.

Not paying taxes. Not buying anything. But if you wanted/needed to everyone here is already in the system so there's your seed money.

The bottom line is: I know it's possible because billions of people have done it for thousands of years. If you have an argument that beats that, I'd like to hear it, otherwise I'm going with it being possible.

I have never understood what some people have against the rich. I'll probably never be super rich but I hope to do ok and I sure don't want some helpful wealth redistribution plan to punish me for being successful by giving what I worked for to someone that didn't.

Exactly. How many of the 'richest of the rich' gained while Clinton was in office?? THAT's no big deal to liberals but people earning lots of money while Bush was in office is I guess

Forum List

Back