🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Unlock your cellphone? Better hurry!

Oldguy

Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Want to unlock your cellphone so it will work on other networks? Better hurry! The deadline is Saturday, Jan. 26th! TODAY!

After that date, it will be illegal, thanks to a Ronald Reagan holdover in the office of Librarian of Congress.

Technology on NBCNews.com

Last edited:
What's funny is congress would give the power to a librarian. This will probably be challenged in court just like most everything these days.

What's funny is congress would give the power to a librarian. This will probably be challenged in court just like most everything these days.

Wouldn't get far. The law grants the Patent and Copyright office and the Library of Congress the authority to carve out exceptions to the law. Previously, unlocking your phone was a carved out exception. Now, the exception is being eliminated.

This is an absolutely god awful development. It's my phone, if I want to manipulate the software that's my business. It's not hurting anyone. Not to mention, this is pretty much unenforceable. How will anyone ever know if I unlocked my phone? Or whether I did it yesterday or tomorrow?

I hate articles that don't tell you the why of something done.

I have Verizon so apparently my phone can't be unlocked. Maybe it is national security reasons and having the ability to track phones, don't know.

WTF does being a Reagan appointee have to do with unlocking your phone? My guess is that someone wants to be a party and a phone hack.

Maybe this is why, note the other guy is a close friend of Obama and the democrats. (I too can hack)

George_Soros_Billington.jpg

Reminds me of the regional monopolies/non-compete arrangements between major cable companies

Forum List

Back