Update: High School AP History Book Rewrites 2nd Amendment

When my daughter was in grade school she brought home a textbook for some homework. The chapter was entitled Great Women of America. The first one, I kid you not, was Sally Field.

Nothing surprises me about the public school system. Nothing.

Sounds like you're either in deep shit Republican country or a Catholic 'hood with fond remembrances of the Flying Nun.

Notice how you are the only one arguing the school's side of this.
What's that tell ya?

Progressives lie. All the time.

And conservatives lie. All the time.

In this case the OP.

There’s nothing in the linked article identifying the authors of the textbook as being ‘progressive,’ or that there was any political affiliation or motivation concerning writing the text of the Second Amendment.

The article’s author is jumping to a subjective, unsubstantiated, and politically motivated conclusion as to why the text is written the way it is, absent any evidence that the book’s authors were attempting to intentionally mislead anyone as to the meaning of the Second Amendment.

The OP, in typical conservative fashion, is attempting to contrive a controversy where none exists, this is nothing more than partisan rightwing demagoguery.

The right wingers need to read what the 1st amendment says in that book, memorize it, and follow it.

It's written for low-information voters, Obama voters, like, ahem, cough cough ^

Right wingers can't even read books, they just do whatever the flashy colors and bleach blonde bimbos at fox tell them.

Well, your argument just went down in flames.
In the absence of substantive rebuttal, you libs invariably resort to insults and rhetoric.
You lose this one...NEXT!

I don't like how the textbook writes the amendment.

So I suggest all you patriots check your local school districts' American history books.

If you disagree, book all of you one on one appts with the school board president and the superintendent, asking them if they wish to be retained in their positions.

Why the f*ck do we need to do that? A text book, the very definition of teaching our kids what the Constitution actually says should quote THE CONSTITUTION word for word, no interpretation and second guessing based on if parents disagree leaving it up to them to correct anything. It says what it says. Let's go with not teaching an abortion of it.

No voters lie, it's just that dupes repeat alot of Pubcrappe from bought off charlatans, brought to you by greedy idiot screw the workers and the environment Pub billionnaires...

UHHHHH Dave dear, and all the others blaming liberals for what the TEXAS Board of Education approved, an extremely CONSERVATIVE group is kind of par for the course as of late....

This Board SEEMS to read and touch every book in Texas schools to approve or disapprove of it or strike language in them....seems to have flubbed up on this.....

Texas school board whitewashes history - CNN.com

I think Tinydancer is right, the Board of education in TEXAS is who you should ultimately go after....

NOT ONLY is the 2nd amendment rewritten in this book but so is the 1st Amendment rewritten, yet none of you even noticed....makes me wonder if you all weren't told what to be upset about, you'd be lost.....???

The book puts ''may make no'' in the spot where it should read ''shall make no'' should be....and there is a HUGE legal difference between ''may'' and ''shall''.....

1st

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

that book is for a high school COLLEGE course....

advanced prep course they can get college credit for..........

who authored the book?

Last edited:
Just playing to jknowgood's stupidity in #39. The social far right traditionalists are asses. Yes, let's stay on point.

The textbook should have offered the original text, not a gloss of it.

No voters lie, it's just that dupes repeat alot of Pubcrappe from bought off charlatans, brought to you by greedy idiot screw the workers and the environment Pub billionnaires...

We're discussing teaching kids the actual wording of the Constitution here. It's not up to a vote, and certainly not up for interpretation based on how much money you make. It's the Constitution. Apparently something you have never read and have no knowledge of.

If that's a legitimate copy of the text book, wow! Are they trying to hide behind putting the bill of rights in everyday English?

What's so difficult to understand about the original?

Textbook version: "The people have a right to keep and bear arms in a state militia."

Actual 2nd Amendment: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."​

Your preaching to the choir here. See what I put in bold above; in short if they did that, it's pretty messed up thing to do, and again, if that copy is legitimate, that demonstrates that they are either incompetent or they are trying to use propaganda to indoctrinate their audience. That's my take on it.

And it's the correct one. Sorry it didn't come through in my response.

When my daughter was in grade school she brought home a textbook for some homework. The chapter was entitled Great Women of America. The first one, I kid you not, was Sally Field.

Nothing surprises me about the public school system. Nothing.

Sounds like you're either in deep shit Republican country or a Catholic 'hood with fond remembrances of the Flying Nun.

The public schools are run by liberals. And they all buy their textbooks from the same place. You should have a look at the ones that are brought into your house.
He agrees with them.

If that's a legitimate copy of the text book, wow! Are they trying to hide behind putting the bill of rights in everyday English?

Textbook version: "The people have a right to keep and bear arms in a state militia."

Actual 2nd Amendment: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."​

In modern language, the 2nd amendment means:

"Since an armed and capable populace is necessary for security and freedom, the right of ordinary people to own and carry guns and other such weapons cannot be taken away or restricted."

WHy not put that "interpretation" into their textbooks? At least they'd be right. For a change.
They're not interested in being right. They're interested only in pushing their agenda on people too young to question them.

In modern language, the 2nd amendment means:

"Since an armed and capable populace is necessary for security and freedom, the right of ordinary people to own and carry guns and other such weapons cannot be taken away or restricted."

WHy not put that "interpretation" into their textbooks? At least they'd be right. For a change.

It says what it says, actually, and that is being debated. Obviously the right can be limited.

Last edited:
It's written for low-information voters, Obama voters, like, ahem, cough cough ^

Right wingers can't even read books, they just do whatever the flashy colors and bleach blonde bimbos at fox tell them.

Well, your argument just went down in flames.
In the absence of substantive rebuttal, you libs invariably resort to insults and rhetoric.
You lose this one...NEXT!

I'm 100% correct. The right wingers are always showing off how much they are herded like cattle to fox showing their ratings. It's pretty pathetic :lol:

This is who approves the books in Texas schools guys....they are CONSERVATIVE....

please stop your lying....

my only guess is that this conservative Board of education MISSED this advanced preparation book....or maybe they don't have to approve of books for the college credit courses taken in high school....???

This book is for a COLLEGE COURSE, that high schoolers can take, and if they score a 3, 4, or 5 on the exam, they get college credit for it....

Texas students taking these courses are failing more than the national average though....wonder if this textbook is one of the reasons why....?

Last edited:
This is who approves the books in Texas schools guys....they are CONSERVATIVE....

please stop your lying....

my only guess is that this conservative Board of education MISSED this advanced preparation book....or maybe they don't have to approve of books for the college credit courses taken in high school....???

This book is for a COLLEGE COURSE, that high schoolers can take, and if they score a 3, 4, or 5 on the exam, they get college credit for it....

Texas students taking these courses are failing more than the national average though....wonder if this textbook is one of the reasons why....?

After all these years of lying, it’s likely most conservatives don’t even know what the truth is anymore.

Forum List

Back