Upon This Rock What the stone edicts of Ashoka tell us about India’s great Buddhist ruler

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
ASHOKA’S EARLIEST PUBLIC COMMUNICATION has survived in the very form in which it was put down in the third century BCE, on a rock at Rupnath, and it gives us a good idea of how the emperor set about the business for which he is best known. The Rupnath edict gives a good sense of what Ashoka thought worthy of recounting and communicating to his subjects: not matters of state, but the state of his mind. Following the battle of Kalinga, he has become a Buddhist. This was, as we know, a consequence of a personal upheaval following the scale of killing he witnessed there. His metamorphosis needs to be understood and emulated. So it is the process and the consequences of his conversion that he highlights. The edict reads:

Devanampriya speaks thus.

Two and a half years and somewhat more (have passed) since I am openly a Shakya.

But (I had) not been very zealous.

But a year and somewhat more (has passed) since I have visited the Samgha and have been very zealous.

Those gods who during that time had been unmingled (with men) in Jambudvipa, have now been made (by me) mingled (with them).

For this is the fruit of zeal.

And this cannot be reached by (persons) of high rank (alone), (but) even a lowly (person) is able to attain even the great heaven if he is zealous.

And for the following purpose has (this) proclamation been issued, (that) both the lowly and the exalted may be zealous, and (that) even (my) borderers may know (it), (and) that this same zeal may be of long duration.

For, this matter will (be made by me to) progress, and will (be made to) progress considerably; it will (be made to) progress to at least one and a half.

And cause ye matter to be engraved on rocks where an occasion presents itself.

And (wherever) there are stone pillars here, it must be caused to be engraved on stone pillars.

And according to the letter of this (proclamation) (You) must dispatch (an officer) everywhere, as far as your district (extends).

(This) proclamation was issued by (me) on tour.

256 (nights had then been) spent on tour.

- See more at: Upon This Rock The Caravan - A Journal of Politics and Culture

That's a very lengthy but interesting article.

Forum List

Back