UPS reserves 125 Tesla semi-trucks, largest public pre-order yet

Windparadox

Gold Member
May 3, 2017
Northern WI.
`
"DETROIT (Reuters) - United Parcel Service Inc (UPS.N) said on Tuesday it is buying 125 Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) all-electric semi-trucks, the largest known order for the big rig so far, as the package delivery company expands its fleet of alternative-fuel vehicles......Prior to UPS, the largest single pre-order came from PepsiCo Inc PEP.N, for 100 trucks......Including the UPS order, Tesla has at least 410 pre-orders in hand, according to a Reuters tally." - Source
`
The world and the US is slowly working away from coal and the internal combustion engine. Industry, as always, is leading the way. US manufacturing jobs are being created. The end of one era and the beginning of another.
`

One step closer to independence from fossil fuels.

And one step closer to driverless vehicle capabilities.

Walmart has announced that soon there may not be cashiers. I joked to the wife that they started that trend years ago.

I wrote a letter to the editor somewhere around 1975 that what we are seeing today needed down then. But as all things the logical outcome eventually happens. Now the question, where is the electricity going to be produced and how? Is there enough energy now to supply fleets of electric cars? Are we willing to build more nuclear? Or are more gas plants going to be built that will in reality put coal and nuclear out of business unless government steps in and saves them. BTW, gas is killing coal not any sort of regulation and gas is also hurting nuclear.

I just think it a fair question to ask, how is this drive to electric going to effect consumer utility rates.

Walmart has announced that soon there may not be cashiers. I joked to the wife that they started that trend years ago.

I wrote a letter to the editor somewhere around 1975 that what we are seeing today needed down then. But as all things the logical outcome eventually happens. Now the question, where is the electricity going to be produced and how? Is there enough energy now to supply fleets of electric cars? Are we willing to build more nuclear? Or are more gas plants going to be built that will in reality put coal and nuclear out of business unless government steps in and saves them. BTW, gas is killing coal not any sort of regulation and gas is also hurting nuclear.

I just think it a fair question to ask, how is this drive to electric going to effect consumer utility rates.

The natural gas comes from fracking.

125 is not that many for the USPS

But if they work out there could be tens of thousands. The USPS puts hundreds of thousands of miles on their trucks. Have to see how durable and maintainable they are

Walmart already has about fifty percent self serve checkout

Many corporations are using solar and fuel cells to generate electricity

I wonder if they got a pre-production discount.
I know if I was a CEO of a company I would want some assurance of a delievery date

The world and the US is slowly working away from coal and the internal combustion engine. Industry, as always, is leading the way. US manufacturing jobs are being created. The end of one era and the beginning of another.
`

Boy that was REALLY well put Wind. So what you MAY be hinting at, is that despite Trump's love of coal, withdrawal from Paris Agreement and endless deregulation of polluters, big business is moving in the right direction anyway?

Duke Energy Nixes Nuclear, Will Amp Up Solar Power Plants In Florida | CleanTechnica

Agree :smile:

Forum List

Back