US job layoffs reach highest level in 4 years

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
OK, I am confused. The MSM seems to paint a very bright picture of the job market. Yet when we look at the labor participation rate and now this information it makes one wonder what universe the MSM lives.

Challenger, Gray & Christmas has released its monthly job cuts for July, and it is ugly. The 105,696 job cuts was the highest number since 2011. To put this in perspective, the July job cuts total is a whopping 136% higher than the 44,842 job cuts reported in June, as well as 125% higher than the in same report a year ago.

Gee. That sounds awful. Just horrible. I feel terrible after reading that.

I especially hated the part where it said that over half of the layoffs were government jobs and will take place over a period of two years.

Just fucking awful.

I especially hated the part where it said that over half of the layoffs were government jobs and will take place over a period of two years.

Just fucking awful.

People losing jobs is always a liberal bright spot.

Just fucking awful.

You're dealing with a group of conservatives that are emotionally invested in the economic and political failure of this country. Its the old Lee Iaccoca disease. Conservatives see the US lead by 'one of them'. And like an egotistical CEO that is convinced that without him the entire enterprise will collapse, they're committed to that failure.

So, any good news they hear is instantly dismissed as something that the 'MSM seems to paint'. While anything even remotely negative is focused on exclusively and myopically.

When one party is emotionally and intellectually committed to the narrative that your nation is doomed, you don't make them your leaders. Grape Koolaid shouldn't be a party plank.

Last edited:
OK, I am confused. The MSM seems to paint a very bright picture of the job market. Yet when we look at the labor participation rate and now this information it makes one wonder what universe the MSM lives.

Challenger, Gray & Christmas has released its monthly job cuts for July, and it is ugly. The 105,696 job cuts was the highest number since 2011. To put this in perspective, the July job cuts total is a whopping 136% higher than the 44,842 job cuts reported in June, as well as 125% higher than the in same report a year ago.
It really doesn't mean a whole lot without knowing how many hires there have been over the same period.

Just fucking awful.

Its pretty much the only time you bother to notice the economy.

When unemployment numbers are dropping, when hiring is up, when total employment reaches an all time high, when the stock market climbs, when productivity is up, when GPD is up....

......you ignore it all. Call me strange, but I want folks committed to the success of this country at the helm. Not those folks who will ignore any success and focus exclusively on the negative, all while offering endless portents of doom.

Just fucking awful.

Well, aren't YOU happy to see the public sector get whittled away even further? Seems like that's the wingnut goal.

It really doesn't mean a whole lot without knowing how many hires there have been over the same period.

You're asking for them to look at *context*? You're getting way too 3 dimensional. The only thing that's real to these folks is anything they can spin as a negative.

Just fucking awful.

When unemployment numbers are dropping, when hiring is up, when total employment reaches an all time high, when the stock market climbs, when productivity is up, when GPD is up....

......you ignore it all. Call me strange, but I want folks committed to the success of this country at the helm. Not those folks who will ignore any success and focus exclusively on the negative, all while offering endless portents of doom.

since nothing seems to be getting that much better what is there to crow about? If there were you would be plastering it all over the board.

I didn't say anything about the economy other then saying we seem to be getting mixed signals. You of course have only one response so you have to attack, that is normal and expected of a liberal whose sole source of news has just left the air. Liberals that seemingly have a hard time thinking for themselves.

Just fucking awful.

since nothing seems to be getting that much better what is there to crow about? If there were you would be plastering it all over the board.

When you ignore any success, all of the good news, all of the positive indicators.....and acknowledge only the negative, of course nothing 'seems to be getting better' to you.

Which is exactly my point. You're commited to ignoring anything but the negative. Why would I want you, or anyone like you helming the ship?

I didn't say anything about the economy other then saying we seem to be getting mixed signals. You of course have only one response so you have to attack, that is normal and expected of a liberal whose sole source of news has just left the air. Liberals that seemingly have a hard time thinking for themselves.

Its obviously not an even mix of positive and negative. With the positive news overwhelmingly outweighting the negative.

Yet you can only focus on the negative. What does your willful blindness have to do with the rest of us, or the economy?

Just fucking awful.

Well, aren't YOU happy to see the public sector get whittled away even further? Seems like that's the wingnut goal.

I am not sure who would be or who is. What kinda comment are you making? Obama isn't running again so why would anyone wish for more economic downturn then what he has already brought us? There is no political up side.

I didn't make a comment on the economy or even show any certain joy in these numbers. My question, or observation, is that we seem to be getting conflicting numbers. But then again I look at the unemployment numbers and they are actually up for the last quarter.

I want a growing economy where I can make a fair return on investment. I really have to wonder how pointing out stuff going badly is considered the same as being glad it is happening, I can only presume it is projection.

Just fucking awful.

When you ignore any success, all of the good news, all of the positive indicators.....and acknowledge only the negative, of course nothing 'seems to be getting better' to you.

Which is exactly my point. You're commited to ignoring anything but the negative. Why would I want you, or anyone like you helming the ship?

Its obviously not an even mix of positive and negative. With the positive news overwhelmingly outweighting the negative.

Yet you can only focus on the negative. What does your willful blindness have to do with the rest of us, or the economy?

How in the hell is pointing out an article that states that the amount of layoffs has increased considered ignoring everything else? I mentioned that the MSM is painting a bright picture which may or may not be true.

But instead of pointing out the good in the economy, like being able to buy a CD for 1.3 percent (sic). You chose to attack. I gave you a platform for a considered logical response. You chose your normal knee jerk reaction. Sad really.

Just fucking awful.

I am not sure who would be or who is. What kinda comment are you making? Obama isn't running again so why would anyone wish for more economic downturn then what he has already brought us? There is no political up side.

What would be the poltiical upside of your ilk acknowledging the improving economy, rising GDP, lower budget deficit, higher tax revenues, higher employment, record high total employment, etc?

i mean, this was just a few weeks ago:

Unemployment Rate Hits 7-Year Low as U.S. Adds 223,000 Jobs in June

Unemployment Rate Hits 7-Year Low as U.S. Adds 223 000 Jobs in June - US News

By any rational measure, that would be good news. But you completely ignored it. The GOP certainly didn't laud those numbers. The narrative of conservatives, the emotional and intellectual investment of conservatives is for the collapse and failure of this nation.

And there's no political upside in acknowledging anything that contradicts this narrative. But why in the fuck would I want folks committed to our *failure* at the helm of the ship?

The only good news here is that over half of the job cuts were the result of massive troop and civilian workforce reductions announced by the United States Army. Those cutbacks are shown to eliminate 57,000 from government payrolls over the next two years.

I thought people like you wanted smaller government

Just fucking awful.

Embarrassing for OP yes :eek:

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk

Just fucking awful.

How in the hell is pointing out an article that states that the amount of layoffs has increased considered ignoring everything else?

That was laid out to you in the very first reply to your post:

"Gee. That sounds awful. Just horrible. I feel terrible after reading that.

Just fucking awful."

LoneLaugher

The layoffs you cited will take place over the next two years. You completely ignored that. And of course, you ignored this:

"It really doesn't mean a whole lot without knowing how many hires there have been over the same period."

AceRothstein

You completely ignored hiring. This despite our unemployment level reaching a 7 year low only last month, adding more than double that amount of jobs lost:

And that's after all layoffs. But you ignored hiring entirely. Focusing exclusively and myopically on layoffs. The majority of which will occur over the next 2 years, not this month. Which you also ignored.

As I said, you and your ilk focus exclusively on the negative and ignore every success. And then offer us the same narrative they always have, that nothing seems to be improving.

If you ignore EVERY new job and acknowledge ONLY the lay offs, of course things will look bleak. But why would a rational person do what you just did?

Just fucking awful.

What would be the poltiical upside of your ilk acknowledging the improving economy, rising GDP, lower budget deficit, higher tax revenues, higher employment, record high total employment, etc?

i mean, this was just a few weeks ago:

By any rational measure, that would be good news. But you completely ignored it. The GOP certainly didn't laud those numbers. The narrative of conservatives, the emotional and intellectual investment of conservatives is for the collapse and failure of this nation.

And there's no political upside in acknowledging anything that contradicts this narrative. But why in the fuck would I want folks committed to our *failure* at the helm of the ship?

I didn't ignore anything, thus my mixed message comment. Although the unemployment numbers are, or were, getting better. It seems other indicators are not, this is just one of them. Along with the labor participation rate.

What else is getting better? Inflation? Return on investment? Inport/export ratio? What exactly, you point it out and we will discuss. One "bright" spot for the consumer is the lower fuel prices. Which translates into more consumer spending in other areas. Of course even that has a dark side when the oil companies begin to law off workers.

Forum List

Back