US job layoffs reach highest level in 4 years

Gee. That sounds awful. Just horrible. I feel terrible after reading that.

I especially hated the part where it said that over half of the layoffs were government jobs and will take place over a period of two years.

Just fucking awful.

People losing jobs is always a liberal bright spot.

Well, aren't YOU happy to see the public sector get whittled away even further? Seems like that's the wingnut goal.

I am not sure who would be or who is. What kinda comment are you making? Obama isn't running again so why would anyone wish for more economic downturn then what he has already brought us? There is no political up side.

What would be the poltiical upside of your ilk acknowledging the improving economy, rising GDP, lower budget deficit, higher tax revenues, higher employment, record high total employment, etc?

i mean, this was just a few weeks ago:

Unemployment Rate Hits 7-Year Low as U.S. Adds 223,000 Jobs in June

Unemployment Rate Hits 7-Year Low as U.S. Adds 223 000 Jobs in June - US News

By any rational measure, that would be good news. But you completely ignored it. The GOP certainly didn't laud those numbers. The narrative of conservatives, the emotional and intellectual investment of conservatives is for the collapse and failure of this nation.

And there's no political upside in acknowledging anything that contradicts this narrative. But why in the fuck would I want folks committed to our *failure* at the helm of the ship?

I didn't ignore anything, thus my mixed message comment.

You ignored all hiring, acknowledging only the layoffs. But not the new jobs. Which is ridiculous.

You ignored the fact that the majority of layoffs will be occuring over the next 2 years. Not this month. Which is ridiculous.

You ignored that last month our unemployment rate hit a 7 year low and we added 223,000 jobs. That's after all layoffs. Which is ridiculous.

You insisted that 'nothing seems to be changing', despite tons of great news. If you ignore every new job, a 7 year low in our unemployment rate and the majority of the layoffs you're citing occuring over 2 years, of course things will look bleak.

And its that myopic focus on the negative that I believe demonstrates why we don't want conservatives at the helm of the ship. All they see is rocks. And they're emotionally invested in a ship wreck. Even when we're in comparatively open seas.

No thank you.

People losing jobs is always a liberal bright spot.

Well, aren't YOU happy to see the public sector get whittled away even further? Seems like that's the wingnut goal.

I am not sure who would be or who is. What kinda comment are you making? Obama isn't running again so why would anyone wish for more economic downturn then what he has already brought us? There is no political up side.

What would be the poltiical upside of your ilk acknowledging the improving economy, rising GDP, lower budget deficit, higher tax revenues, higher employment, record high total employment, etc?

i mean, this was just a few weeks ago:

By any rational measure, that would be good news. But you completely ignored it. The GOP certainly didn't laud those numbers. The narrative of conservatives, the emotional and intellectual investment of conservatives is for the collapse and failure of this nation.

And there's no political upside in acknowledging anything that contradicts this narrative. But why in the fuck would I want folks committed to our *failure* at the helm of the ship?

I didn't ignore anything, thus my mixed message comment.

You ignored all hiring, acknowledging only the layoffs. But not the new jobs. Which is ridiculous.

You ignored the fact that the majority of layoffs will be occuring over the next 2 years. Not this month. Which is ridiculous.

You ignored that last month our unemployment rate hit a 7 year low and we added 223,000 jobs. That's after all layoffs. Which is ridiculous.

You insisted that 'nothing seems to be changing', despite tons of great news. If you ignore every new job, a 7 year low in our unemployment rate and the majority of the layoffs you're citing occuring over 2 years, of course things will look bleak.

And its that myopic focus on the negative that I believe demonstrates why we don't want conservatives at the helm of the ship. All they see is rocks. And they're emotionally invested in a ship wreck. Even when we're in comparatively open seas.

No thank you.

Not to worry, if they actually got into the WH again, things would once again be rosy.

It never ceases to amaze me.... 7 years into his administration, 2nd term, and NOTHING is STILL Obama's 'fault'. If he does not go down as the worst President ever then he must surely go down as the most 'insignigicant'. "It was a Buh...Buh...Buh..Buh...Bush! ROFLOL!

It never ceases to amaze me.... 7 years into his administration, 2nd term, and NOTHING is STILL Obama's 'fault'. If he does not go down as the worst President ever then he must surely go down as the most 'insignigicant'. "It was a Buh...Buh...Buh..Buh...Bush! ROFLOL!

Is this Obama's 'fault'?

That's the lowest rate since April of 2008.

Is this Obama's 'fault'?

And who was President during that month. easy?

Is this Obama's 'fault'?

From your article which you tout as good news:

"Looking below the surface, this was not a great jobs report," Joseph Lake, global economist for The Economist Intelligence Unit, wrote in a research note Thursday. "The participation rate fell, hourly wage growth was flat and revisions subtracted 60,000 jobs from previous months."

RELATED

Retaining Women and Minorities at STEM Companies

Considering an unexpectedly strong ADP National Employment Report estimated June was the best month so far in 2015 for job creation only a day earlier, Thursday's numbers felt a little soft.

"The concept of improvement in the labor market is one thing, but we're also looking at the overall level or health of the economy. It's like the patient's getting better but isn't completely healed yet," says Dan North, chief economist at Euler Hermes. "Participation rate is really, really low, and the duration of unemployment is still way out there."

The labor force participation rate is a measure of how many people are currently employed or actively looking for work out of the entire civilian population. It ticked down 0.3 percentage points in June to 62.6 percent, its lowest reading since October 1977.

Seems we are getting down to Jimmy Carter numbers.

The Obama administration completely ignores the reported 10+ Million Americans who have left the job market due to not being able to find work for so long.

(Refusing to calculate these numers into the mix, as any economist will tell you, skews the reporting / numbers. The fact that it skews the numbers is NOT debateable...whether the difference in the numbers is important or not IS highly debateable. If you include them you get a more factual representation of the number of Americans out of work. If you DON'T include them you get a lower unemployment rate, and it makes you look good...but I digress...)

Even manipulating and ignoring (or not) certain numbers, the Obama administration STILL can not dodge the FACT that In February 2015, the unemployment rate for African-Americans was 10.4 percent, while the comparable rates for whites, Hispanics and Asians were 4.7 percent, 6.6 percent and 4.0 percent, in that order, according to data released by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The black unemployment rate is MORE than DOUBLE that of Whites and Asians.

Even HISPANICS - especially ILLEGAL Hispanics - have gotten more recognition, more help, more aid, more effort, and more preference from the Obama administration, especially in the last 3 years, than black Americans have gotten from their 1st black President.

He promised he would not let Detroit go bankrupt and would not leave it behind. The unemployment rate for blacks grew higher, the economy sunk lower, desparation grew more and more, poverty increased, the crime and murder rate in cities like Baltimore and Chicago has SKY-ROCKETED...and no help has come. Baltimore set a recent record for the number of murders in a month. Chicago just set a record for the number of victims of gun violence in a year, and it is only August. Riots, burning, looting, pillaging, attacks, murders... and WHERE is any help...or even concern...from the MAN FROM CHICAGO?! Black women were on TV vowing to vote for him in 2 elections because he was going to buy them gas and a new kitchen. Those 2 ladies were interviewed a few months ago and asked how they feel now...they both said they felt BETRAYED!

If America is doing SO well, if the economy is doing SO well...then why have blacks been left behind, are NOT sharing in this new-found growth, and STILL have an unemployment rate DOUBLE that of whites and Asians and an unemployment rate still looking down on the lower Hispanic rate?

Obama has a phone and a pen....why doesn't he use them to help his people?

"US Job Layoffs Reach Highest Level in 4 Years"

I wonder how much of this is related to the recent spike in the cost of Obamacare premiums...

In the beginning Obama told Americans, among other lies, that passage of the ACA would NOT result in people losing their health care or their jobs....but that is what happened. McDonalds told the administration that if they had to follow the mandates they would be laying a LOT of people off...so before the ink from his signature on the just-passed ACA was dry he had already begun signing thousands of waivers to exempt companies like McDonalds from having to follow the mandates right away. Americans, nevertheless, DID lose their jobs and health care coverage.

Rather than firing them ut-right, bsinesses began cutting 'Full-Time' workers' hours to 'Part-Time' work, causing the number of 'Full-Time' hours / work to fall to levels not seen for decades. People already struggling to make a living working 'Full-Time' sudenly found themselves working less hours. That wasn't the worst of it. The REASON they were reduced to 'Part-Time' status was so their jobs / bosses did not have to pay for the insurance of so many 'Full-Time' employees.... Not only did these poor people have their hours reduced, many lost their health care coverage.

Now ,as the news has been reporting, ACA premiums ar estarting to 'spike' (not my word - MSNBC's)... Hmmmm......

---------------------
Interaction between Obama and a plant manager from the manufacturing plant he visited:

"President Obama was in Indiana today to tout the dropping unemployment rate ("US Job Layoffs Reach Highest Level in 4 Years"...huh?)...

Manager:
I am the general manager at Millennium Steel. we are honored to have you. One of the questions I had is about the health care costs. We are seeing almost a double-digit increase in health-care costs every year. Do you think that trend is going to go down, and what can we do to control that trend?

Obama answer:
That is interesting. You’re going to have to talk to Henry because — no, no, no, this is serious. The question is whether you guys are shopping effectively enough...

Oh, economists are wrong...it's not that the cost of health care is going up. It's that all the employess at this plant just aren't smart enough to get a better rate... Gottcha! Thanks, Barry!

Last edited:

Is this Obama's 'fault'?

Is this Obama's 'fault'?

And who was President during that month. easy?

Skylar, I know this is going to infuriate you...because you didn't read and fully comprehend what I posted....BUT....

Did I say Obama was to blame for these layoffs? No, I didn't. I didn't use the words 'Layoffs', jobs', or 'unemployment'. You quoted me above...go ahead and look right above and see that I am right. I just threw out a statement, an observation... Never said these layoffs were his fault. Just relax...take a breath...and don't be so sensitive or quick to want to jump in there and defend Barry. lol

It never ceases to amaze me.... 7 years into his administration, 2nd term, and NOTHING is STILL Obama's 'fault'.

What's his fault again?

The layoffs, apparently. The new jobs? Those get ignored entirely.

See how the conservative math works?

Again, Skylar, this is what happens when you ass*u*me or try to speak for someone else. I never used the words 'layoffs', 'jobs', or 'unemployment'.

The American MSM is a Government/Corporate Media Complex. No one should believe anything they see or read in the large Government/Corporate-run Media Outlets. This current President has taken us closer to Third World Misery at record speed. The true extent of the damage won't be known till after he's gone.

Forum List

Back