US Supreme Court Pisses on Dead US Soldiers

Who got the decision right, Alito or the 8 weenies??

• Alito has it right, there are in fact limits on free speech

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • The 8 pukes have it right, free speech is free speech, with no boundaries

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
Bill O'reilley just agreed to pay the court costs for the dead soldier's family. Thanks Bill. No wonder you have the most popular show on cable news.

The court got this one wrong. Alto is correct there are multiple avenues for this WBC to conduct their Free Speech. (Free speech in their case = hate speech)

And they could do it without the disrespect they show to our heroes and their families.

I will say it again; If they ever show up at a funeral where I am attending as an honor Guard or Color guard, someone will need to come downtown and pay my bail.

I would venture to say the conservaties voted soley on the legal aspect and respected the constitution. On the other hand I am sure the liberals on the court were happy to "piss on dead soldiers" and voted soley for that purpose.

• Thanks
Reactions: idb
To be honest, I think Westboro was a leftwing plant for this reason, they wanted the court to go the other way but it didn't, if the supreme court would have outlawed this, they would have outlawed any type of decent in America when it comes to petitioning the government for a redress in grievance. This was a good decision by the court. Free speech applies to all, and free speech was given to us to protect unpopular speech, not popular speech. I give the SC kudos on this one.

Excellent, a new conspiracy theory!

Say what you want, but to outlaw unpopular free speech would have led to tea party rallies being broken up by the police. Maybe I see it from a different angle then you do, but I feel I am right here. I am also a disabled vet, just so you know.

I believe that free speech should be respected but I can't believe that somebody could be a big enough asshole to disrupt somebody's funeral - especially when that someone died protecting your free speech rights.

Welcome to the world of dealing with progressives.

To be honest, I think Westboro was a leftwing plant for this reason, they wanted the court to go the other way but it didn't, if the supreme court would have outlawed this, they would have outlawed any type of decent in America when it comes to petitioning the government for a redress in grievance. This was a good decision by the court. Free speech applies to all, and free speech was given to us to protect unpopular speech, not popular speech. I give the SC kudos on this one.

Excellent, a new conspiracy theory!

Say what you want, but to outlaw unpopular free speech would have led to tea party rallies being broken up by the police. Maybe I see it from a different angle then you do, but I feel I am right here. I am also a disabled vet, just so you know.

The tea party rallies looked pretty popular to me.

The court got this one wrong. Alto is correct there are multiple avenues for this WBC to conduct their Free Speech. (Free speech in their case = hate speech)

And they could do it without the disrespect they show to our heroes and their families.

I will say it again; If they ever show up at a funeral where I am attending as an honor Guard or Color guard, someone will need to come downtown and pay my bail.

I hate the fact that those animals get to harass the families of dead soldiers (or anyone else) and I think they deserve a huge butt-kicking whereever they show up. that said, and it pains me to say it, the decision was correct. free speech doesn't mean speech we like. in fact, if we like it, it doesn't need to be protected at all because no one tries to impede the things they like.

as for the poster who hypothesized that the westboro pieces of garbage are a left-wing plant, you know, that's just retarded. and it's getting really boring watching certain types of poster assign everything they dislike to "the left".

absolutely, totally.... retarded.

The court got this WRONG. Alito got it RIGHT. There is no moral or decent need for these WBC people to disrespect the funeral of a hero for their own political purposes. In fact I might even consider what they do Terrorism (the act of causing injury for a solely political purpose).

I will say this.... if anyone had done something like this at my father's funeral ten years ago, more than one of THEM would have left in a pine box.

I believe that free speech should be respected but I can't believe that somebody could be a big enough asshole to disrupt somebody's funeral - especially when that someone died protecting your free speech rights.

Well everytime I advocate a little violence here, they ban me for a week or two,......so read mah lips!!!:eusa_whistle:

The supremes voted 8 - 1 to disrespect dead US servicemen and in favor of talking ass-wipes. Not only that, but the dead soldiers family needs to pay for the ass-wipes' legal fees. They gave a son's life to defend the USSC and the US, and only Alito got the opinion right.

Westboro Funeral Pickets Are Protected Speech, High Court Rules - FoxNews.com

Lets do a poll on who got it right, Alito or the pukes.

I wonder what would happen if the protesters targeted funerals for gay men who died of AIDS?

The court got this WRONG. Alito got it RIGHT. There is no moral or decent need for these WBC people to disrespect the funeral of a hero for their own political purposes. In fact I might even consider what they do Terrorism (the act of causing injury for a solely political purpose).

I will say this.... if anyone had done something like this at my father's funeral ten years ago, more than one of THEM would have left in a pine box.

and your determination that alito got it right and eight other justices got it wrong is based on???

hint: it's based on the fact that you like alito's dissent better on a political level and has nothing to do with constitutional analysis.

and you wouldn't have killed anyone. no matter how easy it is to say on a messageboard.

you would have felt legitimate rage, though.

I don't see how imposing a restraining order of 500 yards, as a consideration of the noise pollution, is a violation of Freedom of Speech???

Exactly correct. The courts responsibility was not to uphold the right to free speech, but to balance the rights of free speech and those to privacy.

Nobody wants to deny the gay-bashing anti-military thugs from Kansas their right to express their views. But they can't express them anywhere and everywhere they choose. Like not in my living room and not at my son's funeral.

This court has gone loopy. But then again there may be compelling legal details that the 8 members in the majority have to contend with that I know nothing about. Like implications on other cases.

Meanwhile the Dems and the GOP can still eliminate free speech entirely at their conventions and campaign speeches with impunity. How is that substantially different?

And what about the funeral goers rights to speech? Do not these protesters disrupt their right to express their speech in a solemn ceremony? Can I just walk into any church in the nation, or any wedding, and express my views, no matter how vulgar and disruptive, at the direct expense of folks seeking a solemn ceremony?

Think of the ramifications of this ruling, they are mind numbing. What about noise ordinances? Public nuisance ordinances? What about the private property within which funerals are performed? Doesn't private property entail rights?

Protecting funerals for military personnel against protesters is hardly a crack in the 1st Amendment. There should be limits of 1-mile or more, then they could have all the free speech they want. Its not the speech, its disrespecting the dead soldiers.
Keep the speech, but put a large enough buffer to protect the rights of privacy of others.

How bout we give them our second amendment too.
Unpopular speech is protected also man, whether you like it or not. I hate westboro just like you do, but they have the right to protest also. You just have to do like we do in WV, tell them they will never leave the state and will be buried up in a hollow after there protest. If they think you are joking and they end up dead, it's on them. We have done that twice already, trust me...the didn't come here.

We kept there bitch asses out of west virginia, by making it know that they would leave with bruises. maybe some of you should do the same. Here is what happened when they planned to come to Parkersburg WV, when they found out, they left.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIU0rEuk-t4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIU0rEuk-t4[/ame]

You folks need to address and know the fact that this case arises out of a jury verdict against WBC for $5 million.
That is the free speech issue at hand. They overturned the verdict in Appeals Court and all the SC did was affirm that decision.
I hear the same people objecting to hate speech legislation when it is towards folks they dislike yet when it is folks they like they support it.

The court got it right. The First Amendment exists to protect precisely that speech and expression the majority abhor. I don't like the result, in this case, that this protects the rights of an extended family of hypocritical, hateful, worthless pukes masquerading as "Christians"; but the principle involved is worth far more than this hateful little band of maggots.

There is, however, more than one way to skin a cat. The authorities may be unable to act against these loons directly, but the rest of us can. If a soldier's funeral is held in your town, and these idiots threaten to show up, simply take up every legal parking place in a one mile radius of the service. Make the bastards walk, and heckle them (peacefully of course), every step of the way; dressing in drag and pretending to be gay should really annoy them, without breaking any laws. If local law enforcement could be persuaded to be "busy" elsewhere, all the better. We know what really riles Phelps and his little flock, so put it right in their intolerant faces! Ridicule will eat at these people more than anger(the latter is the reaction they want). For that matter, who says we vets can't go to Westboro, and picket them? Wonder what would happen, if a bunch of us did that every Sunday for a while (scrupulously observing the law, of course)?

True liberty and freedom is when you seek to protect the rights of those you may despise the most.

Forum List

Back