US to let in 2,000 Syrian refugees, up from 90

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010

August 10, 2013 12:00 am • John Hudson and Noah Shachtman Foreign Policy

WASHINGTON - With conditions continuing to deteriorate in Syria, the Obama administration is making a major policy shift by agreeing for the first time to allow thousands of new Syrian refugees into the United States.

The numbers are relatively small: just 2,000 refugees, compared to an estimated 2 million people who have fled Syria during the civil war.

But it's a significant increase from the 90 or so Syrian refugees who have been permanently admitted to the U.S. in the last two years.

And it's not entirely uncontroversial.

The refugees, mostly women and children, will be screened for terrorist ties - a process that could take a year or more to complete.

Unlike previous efforts by the Department of Homeland Security to give temporary protected status to Syrians already in the United States, the State Department effort will bring in Syrians from overseas for permanent resettlement in America.

While aid workers welcome the decision to let in more refugees, concerns remain about the time it will take to process the applications and move them into the U.S.

Last edited:
What a joke. They will move to head of the line and get more free dollars.

More terrorist explosions coming our way

Screw em

-Geaux

c07d9b4e-d8ab-4091-a3cb-ced38b87f0c4.jpg

Last edited:
WASHINGTON - With conditions continuing to deteriorate in Syria, the Obama administration is making a major policy shift by agreeing for the first time to allow thousands of new Syrian refugees into the United States.

The numbers are relatively small: just 2,000 refugees

Great...more Muslims in America. And how are we going to make sure these "refugees" aren't criminals...or worse? Is Odumbo going to ask Assad for accurate background checks?

This is as bad an idea as Christian groups bringing in Somalis. The result of that clusterfuck? The FBI has to worry about "American" Somalis going back home, taking Jihad 101 classes, and coming back to America to put into practice what they learned.

Good!! ..... :thup:

Leave it to the board's resident Muslim to see it as "good". Let's hope the FBI has his place wiretapped.

But then again, this administration would ignore him and wiretap a 90 year old white woman's house.

I don't see a problem in taking in refugees of women and children, and being screened to boot, for terrorist ties. How else did the USA get populated? People fleeing to a better place. They just better make damn sure they screen well, and make them jump through the hoops all OUR ancestors did when they arrived on these shores.

Not a good move by the U.S. government, however I really hope that it is only women and children and that these folks are screened extensively and by multiple agencies prior to their arrival. The reason I'm saying this is that Hamas, a terrorist organization has operated freely inside Syria for a long time and any organization that is allowed to exist freely will have an influence on the population.

Leave it to the board's resident Muslim to see it as "good". Let's hope the FBI has his place wiretapped.

But then again, this administration would ignore him and wiretap a 90 year old white woman's house.
Why would the government be interested in me. . :confused:

As a patriotic American I whole heartedly support the U.S. government in granting asylum to the Syrian refugees.

You are the one who opposes the government on this issue and are the person they need to keep under surveillance. . :cool:

I support giving the children citizenship....

Add another zero on this ;) Tired of seeing babies suffer.

Why would the government be interested in me. . :confused:

As a patriotic American I whole heartedly support the U.S. government in granting asylum to the Syrian refugees.

You are the one who opposes the government on this issue and are the person they need to keep under surveillance. . :cool:

Being a minority in the minority of opinion is worthless, like your neg feedback trolling

-Geaux

I don't see a problem in taking in refugees of women and children, and being screened to boot, for terrorist ties. How else did the USA get populated? People fleeing to a better place. They just better make damn sure they screen well, and make them jump through the hoops all OUR ancestors did when they arrived on these shores.

Women and children? Are men denied those rights?
The USA was populated due to such means but at what cost?
Terrorist Ties? Terrorists don't wear ties.

What a joke. They will move to head of the line and get more free dollars.

More terrorist explosions coming our way

Screw em

-Geaux

I hope your pickup with the "Don't Tread on Me" sticker is the first thing to go...

Forum List

Back