USMB Coffee Shop IV

Okay, we have the date for the wife's face to face interview in Gardnersville, 2 weeks away. Setting up a feeding service for the cats, have a car rented for a week and a hotel booked near Gardnersville. Decided to drive as the cost is a fraction of air fare, almost $1800 round trip for both of us flying. It'll take 2 days up and 2 days back. The money they're offering is pretty nice also, hopefully this will work out. :thup:
Good luck to you and the Mrs., Ringel! Gardnerville is so much nicer than El Paso. I've been to both places and have relatives in both, as well.
Gardenerville is also more expensive and the rentals appear to be few and far between. Note that she hasn't been offered the position yet but they claim to have difficulty finding people willing to move there, their patients are the Washoe Indians.

Grandson #2 was born this afternoon.
Cigars and whiskey on me! :thup:
Congratulations, Mr. H.!!
Thanks. He was a month early (like his brother) so they're keeping in THE hospital for a few days. As a precaution.
I might make it up there (4 hours) next weekend or the one after that. Oh- and he has a dimple chin just like mom, dad, and brother LOL.

Okay, we have the date for the wife's face to face interview in Gardnersville, 2 weeks away. Setting up a feeding service for the cats, have a car rented for a week and a hotel booked near Gardnersville. Decided to drive as the cost is a fraction of air fare, almost $1800 round trip for both of us flying. It'll take 2 days up and 2 days back. The money they're offering is pretty nice also, hopefully this will work out. :thup:
Good luck to you and the Mrs., Ringel! Gardnerville is so much nicer than El Paso. I've been to both places and have relatives in both, as well.
Gardenerville is also more expensive and the rentals appear to be few and far between. Note that she hasn't been offered the position yet but they claim to have difficulty finding people willing to move there, their patients are the Washoe Indians.

You are going to be moving again? That sucks.

Most likely yes but we haven't decided we want to move up to northern Nevada, especially to a small (high cost of living) town with no guarantees it'll work out. Our last two moves didn't work out that well so we're quite a bit hesitant to do that besides our primary focus has been Arizona and New Mexico, we'd prefer to stay in the lower southwest. She wants to feel them out some more via Skype before committing to a trip for a face to face.

Most likely yes but we haven't decided we want to move up to northern Nevada, especially to a small (high cost of living) town with no guarantees it'll work out. Our last two moves didn't work out that well so we're quite a bit hesitant to do that besides our primary focus has been Arizona and New Mexico, we'd prefer to stay in the lower southwest. She wants to feel them out some more via Skype before committing to a trip for a face to face.

What a pain in the butt, having to pack up and move again though! I hate packing. Lol.

What a pain in the butt, having to pack up and move again though! I hate packing. Lol.
We never completely unpacked. When the wife started having trouble with her boss almost immediately we realized this would be a short term gig and unless we found something else here we'd have to move.

We never completely unpacked. When the wife started having trouble with her boss almost immediately we realized this would be a short term gig and unless we found something else here we'd have to move.

I'm probably the most unorganized packer ever. I start off trying to be all neat and organized, and then towards the end, I'm like screw it, and just throw random stuff in random boxes. :lol:

I'm probably the most unorganized packer ever. I start off trying to be all neat and organized, and then towards the end, I'm like screw it, and just throw random stuff in random boxes. :lol:
Been there, done that but only because we ran out of time. We've been slowly repacking and getting rid of stuff over the last month so hopefully we'll have a lot less to pack and it will be more organized.

Been there, done that but only because we ran out of time. We've been slowly repacking and getting rid of stuff over the last month so hopefully we'll have a lot less to pack and it will be more organized.

We did that when we left Kansas. We knew we were moving to West Virginia for the summer and then would be moving immediately to Albuquerque. And our house was up for sale and could be possibly sold and would need to be vacated while we were in West Virginia. So we had a huge garage/yard sale and sold everything we could bear to part with meaning that we downsized from a very large bi-level three bedroom home and could fit comfortably into a small two bedroom apartment. And we had everything we were keeping sorted, packed, and labeled in boxes stacked in the center of the family room. All the drawers etc. in furniture we were taking had been emptied. Well it turned out that the house didn't sell while we were gone, so we loaded the truck out of the house when we got back. By far the easiest and most painless move we ever did.among the 18 moves we have made. The hardest one was moving from one house into another two doors away.

We did that when we left Kansas. We knew we were moving to West Virginia for the summer and then would be moving immediately to Albuquerque. And our house was up for sale and could be possibly sold and would need to be vacated while we were in West Virginia. So we had a huge garage/yard sale and sold everything we could bear to part with meaning that we downsized from a very large bi-level three bedroom home and could fit comfortably into a small two bedroom apartment. And we had everything we were keeping sorted, packed, and labeled in boxes stacked in the center of the family room. All the drawers etc. in furniture we were taking had been emptied. Well it turned out that the house didn't sell while we were gone, so we loaded the truck out of the house when we got back. By far the easiest and most painless move we ever did.among the 18 moves we have made. The hardest one was moving from one house into another two doors away.

I have never been that organized. Lol.

I have never been that organized. Lol.

Us either. We usually pack exactly as you described. But that one time was a special situation so we packed over time and very carefully. And it made the move so much better both moving the stuff and unpacking. You would have thought it would have taught us a valuable lesson. But no, the next (and last) two moves we were just as disorganized as ever. :)

I just got back from the optometrist's office. She confirmed that I have cataracts. Enormous, dense. Those were just two of the adjectives she used to described them. Now, in January my old optometrist said he saw a cataract but it was too small to remove and sometime around the pennant chase in late August or September we could discuss their removal. How, in the name of Mr. Magoo, could cataracts go from 'too small to remove' to 'enormous and dense'?

They gave me eye drops. The first drop was a 'numbing' drop to 'take the sting out of the second drop'. That really put me in the mood to get that second drop! Even as I type this, my eyes are so open I think I might be able to see through time. Mom drove me and even with my Stevie Wonder quality vision, she managed to scare the bejesus out of me while she pulled up short, made wide turns and cut off at least one other driver. But, after sniffing Daisy the Mutt and satisfying herself that she had been bathed in the last two days, Mom bundled her up and took her to the Big House to do battle with her cat.

I hope that this post went through without too many typos. Pop would be ashamed, but tolerant knowing his first born had a visual experience that would inspire Jerry Garcia

Last edited:
I just got back from the optometrist's office. She confirmed that I have cataracts. Enormous, dense. Those were just two of the adjectives she used to described them. Now, in January my old optometrist said he saw a cataract but it was too small to remove and sometime around the pennant chase in late August or September we could discuss their removal. How, in the name of Mr. Magoo, could cataracts go from 'too small to remove' to 'enormous and dense'?

They gave me eye drops. The first drop was a 'numbing' drop to 'take the sting out of the second drop'. That really put me in the mood to get that second drop! Even as I type this, my eyes are so open I think I might be able to see through time. Mom drove me and even with my Stevie Wonder quality vision, she managed to scare the bejesus out of me while she pulled up short, made wide turns and cut off at least one other driver. But, after sniffing Daisy the Mutt and satisfying herself that she had been bathed in the last two days, Mom bundled her up and took her to the Big House to do battle with her cat.

I hope that this post went through without too many typos. Pop would be ashamed, but tolerant knowing his first born had a visual experience that would inspire Jerry Garcia

I pretty much had the same phenomenon. I went from 'too small to remove' to literally blind in one eye and almost to that point in the other within a year. But again, the surgery itself was truly a miracle.

Good luck! I would hate for someone to have to mess around with my eyes!

Forum List

Back