USMB Coffee Shop IV

For Gracie and all the Ol' Folks. I found out why I've been so tired lately.
Anyone else have this problem?

AAADD

KNOW THE SYMPTOMS.....PLEASE READ!

Thank goodness there's a name for this disorder.
Somehow I feel better even though I have it!!

Recently, I was diagnosed with A.A.A.D.D. -

A
ge Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

This is how it manifests:

I decide to water my garden.
As I turn on the hose in the driveway,
I look over at my car and decide it needs washing.

As I start toward the garage,
I notice mail on the porch table that
I brought up from the mail box earlier.

I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car.

I lay my car keys on the table,
Put the junk mail in the garbage can under the table,
And notice that the can is full.

So, I decide to put the bills back
On the table and take out the garbage first.

But then I think,
Since I'm going to be near the mailbox
When I take out the garbage anyway,
I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my check book off the table,
And see that there is only one check left.
My extra checks are in my desk in the study,
So I go inside the house to my desk where
I find the can of Pepsi I'd been drinking.

I'm going to look for my checks,
But first I need to push the Pepsi aside
So that I don't accidentally knock it over.

The Pepsi is getting warm,
And I decide to put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the Pepsi,
A vase of flowers on the counter
Catches my eye--they need water.

I put the Pepsi on the counter and
Discover my reading glasses that
I've been searching for all morning.

I decide I better put them back on my desk,
But first I'm going to water the flowers.

I set the glasses back down on the counter,
Fill a container with water and suddenly spot the TV remote.
Someone left it on the kitchen table.

I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV,
I'll be looking for the remote,
But I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table,
So I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs,
But first I'll water the flowers.

I pour some water in the flowers,
But quite a bit of it spills on the floor.

So, I set the remote back on the table,
Get some towels and wipe up the spill.

Then, I head down the hall trying to
Remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day:

The car isn't washed
The bills aren't paid
there's a warm can of Pepsi sitting on the counter
The flowers don't have enough water,
there's still only 1 check in my check book,
I can't find the remote,
I can't find my glasses,
And I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today,
I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all day,
And I'm really tired.

I realize this is a serious problem,

And I'll try to get some help for it,
But first I'll check my e-mail....

I'm a bit melancholic today, let's look on my clip:

Interesting but more raunchy than most Americans would be comfortable with in a public setting. . .possibly even illegal?

Underground life... Somewhere illegal, but are American bikers really more lawful?

A large portion of American "bikers" are professionals (doctors, lawyers, etc) in legitimate motorcycle clubs, only a small minority are the outlaw bikers, the rest are simply bike lovers.

Plans today, wash the dogs, power walk, work on a personal project.

Wish you could wash our foster dog while you're at it. I've been putting that off. :)

My puppies are great dane/newfoundland mixes. They are huge. It's a big task to give them dog baths :lol:

I plan to give our chihuahua a bath today. :p
I avoid bathing my house dogs, and they mostly don't need it, anyways. The farm dog is due a clipping, which she'll get in the next few weeks. Great Pyrenees are tough to groom, it's more like thatching than brushing. So, when she gets really bad, I just clip her down. She likes that, too, because she gets so hot during the summer.

The day started out light, couldn't get my act together but eventually I set up the living room, moved all the bookcases that have been blocking the front window in the large foyer so the house no longer feels like a cave. Once I had the living room set up I confirmed my suspicion that the huge coffee table wasn't going to fit........ Rearranged a couple of other things in the kitchen, basically moved my hutch over to another wall so I had to put the microwave temporarily back on the limited room kitchen counter until I can find or make a "table" that will fit there and allow me to put the trash/recycle cans there with the microwave on top, it's the only place to put both.

Finding a place for all the stuff--toaster, toaster oven, microwave, wireless telephone base plus the blender/food processor, juicer, etc. is a challenge in a small kitchen. My kitchen isn't teensy but it is galley style and counter space isn't unlimited.
One super nice thing about running off-grid, you have to be selective about your electric appliances. Everything is analyzed for power usage and lots is left off the roster. Microwaves, toasters, trash compactors, automatic dishwashers, and so many superfluous machinery can be deleted from the roster of "must-haves". I use a cast iron dutch oven instead of an electric slow cooker. Coffee is left on the wood stove, or re-heated as needed. Anything you can heat in a microwave can be heated using other means. I have a wonderful hand-powered washer (I've posted photos before) and hang the laundry on the line to dry. If I need something dry faster in the winter, I hang it inside, near the stove. Lots of comforts are not really necessary, but we are spoiled, I find. (I do like my JD 410, though!)

Yes, I have lived for some time in conditions that seem rather primitive in these times--wood stove, minimal electrical and no conveniences like microwaves, toasters, blenders, etc. And we made it fine.

But I really wouldn't want to do that again.
Funny, it's my retirement plan, and I am looking forward to retiring more than ever. Caring for my critters and living off the land, finally having some time for all my crafts I love so much to do...
I put up a cord and a half of firewood this past weekend. All the trees my partner took down last summer have to be cut, split, and stacked. Guess whose job that is?

Started Monday on a Bluestone patio project. I almost have all the plant material removed and grading complete on the 26 x 25 area. All by hand in 90 degree weather. Wednesday I will complete the grading by bringing some fill dirt and do some compacting. My middle daughter was here last week and the youngest will be here in another day or two. Super busy with all that and hiring an attorney to sue my prior employer. My last two checks are being held hostage. He wants me to sign papers, which I can only conclude absolve him of wrong doing. Not happening.
How are you compacting and leveling your patio area? I hoped we'd get to the driveswy this summer, but things are going a lot more slowly than I'd expected. Damned old people!

BACON!!!!

Now now Ernie. That's not nice. Funny, but not nice. :)

th

Like Drifter though I've heard that pigs make great pets. And maybe if I actually knew one I would think differently about them. But my personal prejudices no doubt arise from experiences with smelly and very pushy, even dangerous, pigs and hogs from my youth, terrorizing if one got out of the pen. So I see them as food instead of pets.

Reminds me of a rancher friend years ago who ran a large herd of mother cows and sold the calves when they were big usually as beef cattle. But he wouldn't eat his own beef. He said you can't watch the calves being born, so pretty they were, and so cute frolicking in the pasture, that he just couldn't see them as food. So he sold them to others and bought his beef. :)

I'm not Vegan. I just think they are cute.

I'm sure they probably are. And I enjoyed the movie "Babe" and grew up with Porky Pig and "The Three Little Pigs" and we all did the "This little piggie went to market" routine. But my personal experience with pigs has not been conducive to fuzzy warm feelings or any kind of 'aw' factor. So, like Ernie, to me they are bacon and spiral ham and spare ribs on the hoof. :)
While I recognize pigs as being intelligent, I still cannot envision having one as a house pet, although my partner would gladly welcome one as a lap-pet. Pigs are, and always will be, primarily food sources. Never name your livestock...

BACON!!!!

th

Like Drifter though I've heard that pigs make great pets. And maybe if I actually knew one I would think differently about them. But my personal prejudices no doubt arise from experiences with smelly and very pushy, even dangerous, pigs and hogs from my youth, terrorizing if one got out of the pen. So I see them as food instead of pets.

Reminds me of a rancher friend years ago who ran a large herd of mother cows and sold the calves when they were big usually as beef cattle. But he wouldn't eat his own beef. He said you can't watch the calves being born, so pretty they were, and so cute frolicking in the pasture, that he just couldn't see them as food. So he sold them to others and bought his beef. :)

I'm sure they probably are. And I enjoyed the movie "Babe" and grew up with Porky Pig and "The Three Little Pigs" and we all did the "This little piggie went to market" routine. But my personal experience with pigs has not been conducive to fuzzy warm feelings or any kind of 'aw' factor. So, like Ernie, to me they are bacon and spiral ham and spare ribs on the hoof. :)

Sorry you had such bad experiences.

Oh they weren't all that bad. But not something to make me think of pigs as cute or pets. :) And while I generally love the does and baby goats, don't even get me started on the sneaky old Billy goats.
Billy goats (pc: bucks) are characters in their own right. I love the bucks at least as much as the does, most of my billys have been bottled raised and are super-nice...when they aren't rutting. When in the rut, I limit physical contact and use halters to take them to visit their girlfriends. It's easier to lead them by their heads than drag them around with a collar. And, yes, does can be super nice and the kids are better than TV...well, for some of us.

Some of Michener's books are...descriptive to a fault. Both "Hawaii" and "Alaska" start with the birth of the land and move on from there. Ernest Hemingway was another author who was really very descriptive. I've read some of his stories in English, German, and Russian. All are great ways to build vocabulary.

It seems, Michener not so popular here... I've found only novel "Source" in e-shops - do you recommend it to read? :) Ernest Hemingway is good and popular in Russia. What can you say about Umberto Eco? Do you like books about Medieval and Renaissance history?

I do.
I read Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose about 20 years back or so in the 90's.
It was a pretty good mystery & history book, from what I can remember. :)

Have you read others books of Eco? For example - "The island of the day before" - another good mystery for baroque epoch...

Sorry, I haven't read any more by him, just that one.

"The name of Rose" is very good book. Eco compiled a lot parts of it from real medieval books, so it's seems like another one. And also, he had a manner to write about medieval times like it happen now and here. I like it. Especially, positioning the tiime of book in real history, when the 14th century only begins, with Switz warriors, total plague, but already with Templiers burned...
Before I read "The Name of the Rose", I saw the movie (with Sean Connery). I saw it the first time when I was living in Munich and it was in German. It was still an excellent movie, and a better book.

BACON!!!!

th

While I recognize pigs as being intelligent, I still cannot envision having one as a house pet, although my partner would gladly welcome one as a lap-pet. Pigs are, and always will be, primarily food sources. Never name your livestock...

Probably good advice but you have to name the horses and the milk cow and you don't name your favorite does and billy?

BACON!!!!

th

Probably good advice but you have to name the horses and the milk cow and you don't name your favorite does and billy?
BACON!!!!

th

The milk does all have names, and they all know their names and respond accordingly. The bucks also respond to their names, when not in rut. Unless I plan on keeping them, the kids are all "snackpack" with a numerical designation. The partner is, however, 66 going on 3 and cannot bear the thought of the goats being slaughtered for food. To date, I've made a lot more money selling meat than milk or cheese. If I had a milk cow or a horse, they would, of course, have names. When I get chickens next spring, some will end up with names, most will end up in the freezer.

OK. Anyone know anything about nose bleeds? Lately, I've been getting sudden nose bleeds, only on one side. They come on quite suddenly and are quite voluminous. Any ideas? I've staunched this evening's flow and hope it won't reoccur after I go to sleep.
Maybe you're going through puberty. Again.
Seriously, many things can cause nosebleed in older people. High blood pressure, use of blood thinners, daily doses of aspirin, etc.

Here's one article from Web MD.

What are the symptoms of nosebleeds in the elderly? | Reference.com

AAADD

A

But then I think,

At the end of the day:

The car isn't washed
The bills aren't paid
I can't find the remote,
I can't find my glasses,

And I'm really tired.

Interesting but more raunchy than most Americans would be comfortable with in a public setting. . .possibly even illegal?

Underground life... Somewhere illegal, but are American bikers really more lawful?

A large portion of American "bikers" are professionals (doctors, lawyers, etc) in legitimate motorcycle clubs, only a small minority are the outlaw bikers, the rest are simply bike lovers.

They have to be successful business people. Harleys are great, but those things cost big bucks to keep running.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary in what is probably Sachendra's last days.
Mrs. Saveliberty with her knee surgery.
The Gracies just because,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Ernie!!!
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Kat & Mr. Kat in transition,
Hossfly's knee surgery,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition and wellness for Ringel,
Foxfyre & Hombre's foster dog Carly for wellness,
Dana!!!! (Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant.)
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, SFC Ollie, AgainSheila, 007, and all others we hope will return.

May both the journey and the destination be something to appreciate
beautiful-roads-in-the-world-20.jpg

OK. Anyone know anything about nose bleeds? Lately, I've been getting sudden nose bleeds, only on one side. They come on quite suddenly and are quite voluminous. Any ideas? I've staunched this evening's flow and hope it won't reoccur after I go to sleep.
My son used to get them when he was little. Maybe broken capillaries or just dry air.

He was so little and sad but he knew just what to do. These gadgets will sometimes stop the bleeding:

51BE2tYklTL._SY355_.jpg

They're about $5 at Amazon. Don't blow your nose too hard or pick at it.

Amazingly similar to my tap-out! A lake built by CCC during the depression, indians in canoes and tapped so hard I almost fell. A friend who was tapped out the same night was just getting over a broken clavicle. A big guy stood to his left and grabbed the Vigil's hand as it came down and whispered, "right shoulder". Both Franky survived and I survived out night in the woods except that I awoke about 50 feet down hil from where I was left.
20 some odd years later, I tapped out my son.
I rose from Cub through Explorer to Scout Master and finally to Council Adult Leader Training Committee. I was a Boy Scout for 38 years

Our son was a scout (daughter was a Brownie but didn't go on to Girl Scouts) and hubbie was a scoutmaster for many years and then was on the district team often volunteering to be the cook for the staff. The night in the woods wasn't too tough in Kansas, but when the camps were in New Mexico bear attacks were a concern. So unbeknownst to the OA candidates, there were guards posted out of sight of the candidate just as a precaution.
My specialties on the training sessions were cooking and orienteering. Our course ended with a winter camp out... 2 nights in tents in mid December in Connecticut. I cooked Sunday dinner. The menu was always the same: Roast beef corn or string beans and baked potato. Desert was apple pie. Everything was cooked in site in Dutch ovens. I brought a Dutch oven with me when I shopped to test fit the roasts. It took 10 ovens to prepare the meal. I did cheat a bit and used charcoal and oven thermometers. Controlling the temperature of everything in 10 ovens in a camp fire 8 feet by 4 feet was nearly impossible.
We had Polar Bear camp during the winter. Our tents were WW II or Korean War surplus. Anyway, they had twenty years of stale, mildewish air about them. There were two upright poles and a ridge pole that weighed about fifteen pound. The sides were secured by stakes and ropes. Inside the Scout Masters provided three bales of straw per tent. We bedded down like barnyard animals, and enjoyed it thoroughly.

One particularly harsh winter weekend, our provisions froze solid during the long, moonless night. #10 cans of peaches were prized as a frozen dessert. Eggs were cracked and frozen, pancake batter could not be prepared for the water was ice.

There was an early 19th century stone house on the campground we had access to. We quickly built roaring fires in the fireplaces, stoked up the coal stoves and hunkered down on the wide pine board floors. Scout Masters drove into town, about twelve miles away, and brought back groceries. We made beef stew and Hudson Bay pie in Dutch ovens on the hearths. Boxes of raisins and bags of apples were distributed as we sang camp songs.

Later that afternoon, we donned our warmest clothes and broke down our tent camp. Someone had cobbled together sledges upon which we heaped tents, sleeping bags, backpacks and the remainder of our frozen fare. Then we shlepped everything back to the stone house and sorted through what could be salvaged and what we needed to dispose of.

By Sunday morning, we were warm, fed and happy. But the first night (Friday) was an experience!
I did the Year Round Camper thing for 4 or 5 years Tent camping frequently well below freezing, We maintained a site about 1/2 mile from the road and packed everything in. 3 of us camped there. A guy that made Eagle, the fore mentioned Franky and I. We had ample firewood cut, split, stacked and covered. I remember one Saturday morning hiking in in about 30 inches of fresh snow. Everything looked different and the same. When we arrived at the tent, it looked like a big lump. the fire pit was hidden, fire wood was hidden and we had one folding camp shovel. Once we had a fire going, we were fine. We left the tent mostly buried and were toasty warm with a big fire with a large flat rock reflecting heat back at the tent at -15.
I regret not making Eagle. I was Life with 20 Merit Badges when I turned 18. I simply ran out of time after starting the final push about 6 months earlier.

emot41.gif
emot103.gif
emot21.gif

Aww, those are SO cute. :)

AAADD

A

But then I think,

At the end of the day:

The car isn't washed
The bills aren't paid
I can't find the remote,
I can't find my glasses,

And I'm really tired.

They have to be successful business people. Harleys are great, but those things cost big bucks to keep running.

Tell me about it. The battery is dead in my FXD35, and looking at $130 for a new one. It was a whole lot cheaper for parts and misc Harley stuff when I worked for Harley. Used to get a nice discount. As of now I still haven't bought a new one. Riding has just really lost a lot of it's appeal after 50 years of it. I have so many other things that take priority over $130 than buying a new battery for my bike.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back