USMB Coffee Shop IV

I like this thread's title "USMB Coffee Shop IV".

I've defiantly craved Coffee or Caffeine on an IV drip on many occasions. Do we get a central IV line PICC (peripherally inserted central catheter)? Or must we suffer the nurse trying to stab a vein every morning?

I hope the IV don't jack the prices 1,000% like medical bills do.
LOL. I hadn't thought of it that way, but coffee of all sorts and just the way you like it is free here. No IV drip though. You have to drink it out of a cup or maybe through a straw like everybody else.

But welcome back to the Coffee Shop KissMy. It has been awhile. Good to see you.

I didn't know that the plastic handle of a large stirring spoon was against the burner when making dinner last night, and when I picked it up burned the heck out of the palm of my right hand. A little cold water, Bactine, and a large band aid is taking care of it nicely and the palm tends to heal very quickly, but I'm not doing dishes or cooking for today.

But yesterday Dak, QB for the Dallas Cowboys hurt his hand in the Tampa Bay game and will be out for a few weeks. I mentioned to Hombre that I also hurt my hand and should be out for a few weeks. He said right, I shouldn't play football for a few weeks.

I suppose I'll have to cook again tomorrow.

Last edited:
I got up early yesterday and wsent for a bike ride.

Usually I eat breakfast and have my coffee first....but yesterday I thought I would wait till i got back home to eat.

Biked a few miles up the Pinellas trail and suddenly got hungry and McDonalds looked so inviting....plus they do have pretty good coffee.

Hadn't been in since inflation hit......what a shock...I think a lot of establishments are gouging their customers and blaming it on inflation whilst they are on the way to the bank.

I got up early yesterday and wsent for a bike ride.

Usually I eat breakfast and have my coffee first....but yesterday I thought I would wait till i got back home to eat.

Biked a few miles up the Pinellas trail and suddenly got hungry and McDonalds looked so inviting....plus they do have pretty good coffee.

Hadn't been in since inflation hit......what a shock...I think a lot of establishments are gouging their customers and blaming it on inflation whilst they are on the way to the bank.
Coffee beans are up almost 40% since Jan 2021 due to inflationary pressures, but also the cost of sugar, dairy products, infrastructure, operating expenses, transportation, labor etc. in these inflationary times. I'm sure there are those who boost their profits a bit more than necessary in these inflationary times, but the costs of everything are huge.

The two of us are easily are spending $100 to $200 more a month for groceries than we did in Jan 2021 and we aren't buying anywhere near as good a stuff as we used to buy, i.e. we eat a lot of hamburger these days and very seldom steak.

1663043479584.png

Hatch green chile is maybe the finest, most flavorful in the entire world, definitely considered among the very best. It is grown in the Hatch and/or Mesilla Valley along or near the Rio Grande in southern New Mexico. Almost all New Mexicans look forward to the late summer, early autumn harvest and the unmistakable aroma of the whole chile peppers roasting everywhere.

There are lots of imitators but this one from Florida was especially interesting.

1663112928474.png

Hatch green chile is maybe the finest, most flavorful in the entire world, definitely considered among the very best. It is grown in the Hatch and/or Mesilla Valley along or near the Rio Grande in southern New Mexico. Almost all New Mexicans look forward to the late summer, early autumn harvest and the unmistakable aroma of the whole chile peppers roasting everywhere.

There are lots of imitators but this one from Florida was especially interesting.

View attachment 695923
Every time someone in my circle of friends go to El Paso, they are required to stop in Hatch on the way back and buy peppers for the rest of the crowd. It's the law here. Never had to tar and feather anyone.........yet.

I'm just back from the Prince of Wales Stakes and what a wonderful day we had.

We arrived early and had lunch from our favourite concession stand before the races started at 1:05. There's a border crossing at Fort Erie which locals use to go the USA, because there's never a lineup to cross, so there were lots of Americans here for the one of the biggest days on the Canadian horse racing calendar. The stands were full, there were people everywhere. It was a joy to see!!

There were 5 big Stakes races for 3 year olds, total prize money of $660,000, with the Prince of Wales Stakes and its $400,000 purse being the biggest. Instead of usual 5 or 6 horses in the fields, there were some races with more than 10 horses. There were a few women there with fancy hats, and Kathy said we'll do that next year, if I can lend her a hat.

Early in the afternoon, we met a young woman who told us that she owns a (very tiny) share of one of the horses running in the Prince of Wales. She invested $100 in this horse on an internet website and this was the first time she had seen her horse race live and in person. She was really excited about the whole experience and was having fun. Her horse's name was Duke of Love.

We didn't see this young woman again the rest of the day, although I did look for her when Duke of Love won the Prince of Wales stakes. There were probably 30 "owners" of the horse proudly standing with him at the trophy presentation. Deleriously happy people, one wearing a purple velour suit that was one of the tackiest things I've ever seen, but who are living a Disney movie for real.

Everybody in attendance was happy for these people jumping up and down, clapping and shouting when he won. There were about 30 of them at the winner's trophy ceremony. Proudly posing with their horse, and a cheque for $240,000.

Every time someone in my circle of friends go to El Paso, they are required to stop in Hatch on the way back and buy peppers for the rest of the crowd. It's the law here. Never had to tar and feather anyone.........yet.
LOL. Yes, chances are you'll get the real deal buying chiles in Hatch. :)

View attachment 695923
Mexican chili imports have grown by 25% since 2016 and expected to climb. Agricultural inspectors x-ray and hand inspect the imports at the border looking for any pest or diseases that might impact the New Mexican crops. At the busiest times they typically inspect 100 truck a day, last year only 25 shipments were turned away.
As for our chili experts are expecting between 55,000 and 60,000 tons of New Mexican peppers to be harvested this bumper crop year. And we're still considered to have the best green chili in the world. :thup:

Mexican chili imports have grown by 25% since 2016 and expected to climb. Agricultural inspectors x-ray and hand inspect the imports at the border looking for any pest or diseases that might impact the New Mexican crops. At the busiest times they typically inspect 100 truck a day, last year only 25 shipments were turned away.
As for our chili experts are expecting between 55,000 and 60,000 tons of New Mexican peppers to be harvested this bumper crop year. And we're still considered to have the best green chili in the world. :thup:
I know. But its naughty to pretend that you're Hatch green chili when you aren't.

Just finished making some home made (easy) chicken and noodle soup. A thousand times better than the canned stuff and I used powdered chicken broth as a base. :thup:

I found video of Lord of Love's "owners" in the paddock, including the guy in the tacky purple velour suit. How can you not be happy for these people that their horse won? Like Belinda Stronach needs $240,000. She probably made that much money before lunch. The woman we met was so excited to get to see her horse live and in person.

I found video of Lord of Love's "owners" in the paddock, including the guy in the tacky purple velour suit. How can you not be happy for these people that their horse won? Like Belinda Stronach needs $240,000. She probably made that much money before lunch. The woman we met was so excited to get to see her horse live and in person.

Exciting. I love it. If horseracing up there is anything like horseracing here, it was explained to me by an owner that the trainer and jockey get most of the winnings. The owner very little, sometimes not even enough to cover expenses/entry fees for putting the horse in the race. It is for the glory they do it, but it definitely isn't cheap which is why it is the sport of kings (i.e. rich people.) The owners make their money selling the winning horse, or if its a stallion, in stud fees, or a mare in foals. Few owners depend on their horses for a living I think. :)

Exciting. I love it. If horseracing up there is anything like horseracing here, it was explained to me by an owner that the trainer and jockey get most of the winnings. The owner very little, sometimes not even enough to cover expenses/entry fees for putting the horse in the race. It is for the glory they do it, but it definitely isn't cheap which is why it is the sport of kings (i.e. rich people.) The owners make their money selling the winning horse, or if its a stallion, in stud fees, or a mare in foals. Few owners depend on their horses for a living I think. :)

I had an aunt and uncle in the racing business. My Mom said if they had a good horse, they were rolling in the dough, and if not, they were poor as church mice.

I like this idea of horse ownership for the masses and I’m thinking of buying a share of a yearling. They sell enough shares to cover both the purchase price and all expenses to raise and train the colt.

The website has about 20 horses. They’ve got 3 or 4 they’re selling shares on. Lord of Love is one of their most successful horses having won $375,000 so far and he’s only 3.

I’m not looking to make money because chances are I won’t. Only 3 or 4 of those 20 horses they own are making serious money. And as I explained to my figure skating fan friends, picking a yearling is like looking at a bunch of novice level skaters (11 year olds) and picking the next Olympic champion. You don’t even know what they’ll look like when they’re fully grown.

But $100 to be an “owner”, with no further financial obligation sounds like a whole year of cheap fun following “my” horse on a quest for the American Triple Crown.

I had an aunt and uncle in the racing business. My Mom said if they had a good horse, they were rolling in the dough, and if not, they were poor as church mice.

I like this idea of horse ownership for the masses and I’m thinking of buying a share of a yearling. They sell enough shares to cover both the purchase price and all expenses to raise and train the colt.

The website has about 20 horses. They’ve got 3 or 4 they’re selling shares on. Lord of Love is one of their most successful horses having won $375,000 so far and he’s only 3.

I’m not looking to make money because chances are I won’t. Only 3 or 4 of those 20 horses they own are making serious money. And as I explained to my figure skating fan friends, picking a yearling is like looking at a bunch of novice level skaters (11 year olds) and picking the next Olympic champion. You don’t even know what they’ll look like when they’re fully grown.

But $100 to be an “owner”, with no further financial obligation sounds like a whole year of cheap fun following “my” horse on a quest for the American Triple Crown.
That does sound like fun. Good luck.

Forum List

Back