USMC vet claims PTSD and demands "right" to have pet dog with him at work.

Service dog is NOT a silly euphemism as you stupidly say. Many human beings can live a normal daily life thanks to service dogs!

Seeing eye dogs are the only service dogs. THINK, hater.

Your definition of a service dog is far too restricted. Here is how a service animal is defined:

Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.

ADA Requirements: Service Animals

A dog that is trained to be able to calm an individual with PTSD in the event of an anxiety attack is a service dog.

This is true. And in service of this thread, I have done a bit more research on the subject.

Apparently, PTSD dogs ARE legitimately recognized service dogs, with specialized training and prescribed by doctors. They apparently serve several functions. Like epilepsy dogs, they are trained to recognize the onset of symptoms before a human would do so, allowing the owner to get assistance before a crisis can happen. They are trained to recognize night terrors and wake them immediately (and no, night terrors are not "just nightmares" and they are no joke). Because people with PTSD generally have an over-developed "startle" response, paranoia, and can even suffer from hallucinations, service dogs also serve to leverage their more powerful natural senses to counteract these problems.

I have also read up on this particular story, and apparently, the dog in question IS a trained PTSD service dog, not just a pet that this guy likes to have around wherever he goes.

If people are so severe that they can't go out in public without their dog, then probably they shouldn't be working in the first place. The whole idea of expecting employers to accommodate every whim of employees is ridiculous, as is the idea that they must take on the liability of having someone with such severe ptsd that they need an animal to work...the liability is double..the person with ptsd and the animal.

So you really think that it's a better idea for people to simply succumb to their illnesses and become unproductive burdens on their families and the state, rather than finding ways to deal with their problems and do something useful with themselves?

I'm not anti-ptsd dogs, btw, my dil has severe ptsd from her time in Afghanistan and she has a dog who has been designated a therapy dog or whatever they designate them after they spend thousands of dollars to actually train them.

But she doesn't take him to work. She works security, there's no place for him. When she was unable to go out without him, she didn't work.

My Dad hit the beach at Normandy. He never said a word about it. Never. But he wrote it down after he came home. After he died, his journal was copied and send to the children. My Dad was not a very articulate man. He was a taciturn indian who never had much to say. His account was of the small boats making their way up and down just off shore scooping body parts out of the ocean.

I've known people who got out of concentration camps, some horribly disfigured. I have known a bunch of guys from Viet Nam. Over the years, you just have to ask the hard questions like how come our fighting men are disabled from PTSD, but the Viet Namese AREN'T. The Viet Namese women who were beaten, raped, and watched their children killed run nail salons. What the FUCK happened?

The question isn't how to provide for these men that have PTSD but why they have it in the first place. The gang bangers, the career criminals never get PTSD and they see more combat than the average serviceman.

PTSD is real but the biggest killer was Agent Orange. My original company from 65-66 in Vietnam of about 160 returnees is down to 28 survivors. All of us had cancer of 3 types: Brain, Pancreas and Prostate. None of us had PTSD but we're all disabled.
Agent Orange is real. PTSD is made up.

Have you ever wondered how this country got settled if men really suffered from PTSD?

It's made up to deal with feeeellllings.

I just picked a reply almost randomly... you're posts are all equally repulsive.
I see a lot of shits on the internet. I've been a shit on the internet. But I don't know that I've ever seen quite so much shit shoved into such a small amount a space as you have here. You're wrong, you're disgusting, you're grotesque and you're just fucking nasty.
You should go dig a hole and bury yourself.

as i've said before , my Dad and 2 Uncle- went to war , ww2 , stormed beaches , 1 died in France . The survivors came home , got jobs , got married , raised families and died natural deaths in beds in the USA . ------------------- in my OPINION , ptsd and similar is 'bs' in the majority of cases . In this particular case , i do not support this particular guy .
Actually, many many from WWI and WWII had PTSD or as they called it, "shell shock"...they were shuffled off to homes, hospitals, not talked about, became alcoholics, etc. Now we are actually trying to help them.....despite people like you.
------------------------------------------------------- big deal , shell shocked or 'ptsd' . As i said , i was surrounded by veterans that were my friends Dads and my teachers in school , the cops and firemen and other workers were all veterans . Most went to work to support and families as the single money maker in their homes . Drunks and drunkard behaviour are fine until laws are broken . Lots of people like a legal alchohol buzz and thats a personal decision Bodecea .

You know, people like you, with your sadly archaic ignorance and idealized blanket view of the world are the reason that medical science, and particularly psychiatric medicine, have such difficulty advancing sometimes.

Amazingly enough, there were a lot more veterans of WW2 than just your dad and his buddies that you knew, and anecdotal "evidence" isn't evidence. The fact is, there have been a lot of men who returned from every war in history who were so psychologically damaged that they were never able to function again. They wound up institutionalized or as a burden on their families or even homeless.

This is in no way to belittle the sacrifices and accomplishments of any generation that shouldered the responsibility of fighting for their country. But this rosy-glasses view you have of them just "manning up and handling it" is utter crap.
------------------------------------------- flotsam , maybe they shouldn't have survived . Course since they did survive they should perhaps be helped but not catered to and held up as heros Cecille.

I'm not anti-ptsd dogs, btw, my dil has severe ptsd from her time in Afghanistan and she has a dog who has been designated a therapy dog or whatever they designate them after they spend thousands of dollars to actually train them.

But she doesn't take him to work. She works security, there's no place for him. When she was unable to go out without him, she didn't work.

I can't say that I agree with that approach. At the very least, it's simply consigning the sufferer to being a cripple who is unable to live a functional life. If there's a way to allow people with illnesses to live normal lives, or at least closer to normal, then I consider that an advance that needs to be reasonably accommodated, just like requirements to have wheelchair ramps and elevators for those who can't walk.

Yes, I think it needs to follow the same legitimate, medically-approved practices observed with seeing-eye dogs, rather than simply letting people take pets with them willy-nilly, but I think it's a lot more reasonable than simply expecting someone to give up on living productively.

Service dog is NOT a silly euphemism as you stupidly say. Many human beings can live a normal daily life thanks to service dogs!

Your definition of a service dog is far too restricted. Here is how a service animal is defined:

Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.

A dog that is trained to be able to calm an individual with PTSD in the event of an anxiety attack is a service dog.

This is true. And in service of this thread, I have done a bit more research on the subject.

Apparently, PTSD dogs ARE legitimately recognized service dogs, with specialized training and prescribed by doctors. They apparently serve several functions. Like epilepsy dogs, they are trained to recognize the onset of symptoms before a human would do so, allowing the owner to get assistance before a crisis can happen. They are trained to recognize night terrors and wake them immediately (and no, night terrors are not "just nightmares" and they are no joke). Because people with PTSD generally have an over-developed "startle" response, paranoia, and can even suffer from hallucinations, service dogs also serve to leverage their more powerful natural senses to counteract these problems.

I have also read up on this particular story, and apparently, the dog in question IS a trained PTSD service dog, not just a pet that this guy likes to have around wherever he goes.

If people are so severe that they can't go out in public without their dog, then probably they shouldn't be working in the first place. The whole idea of expecting employers to accommodate every whim of employees is ridiculous, as is the idea that they must take on the liability of having someone with such severe ptsd that they need an animal to work...the liability is double..the person with ptsd and the animal.

So you really think that it's a better idea for people to simply succumb to their illnesses and become unproductive burdens on their families and the state, rather than finding ways to deal with their problems and do something useful with themselves?

No if the employer is willing to accommodate, that's great. But the dogs themselves place a burden on the state, iand everybody else, f the state is paying for them (and they do) and forcing employers to accommodate them.

I really don't have a problem with therapy dogs that are real service dogs for vets with ptsd. I do have a problem with unstable people forcing employers to hire them and accommodate their instability. People with ptsd, if they require a dog to be with them, probably shouldn't be spending 8 hours out in public if the only way they can keep from nutting out is if they have their dog. They need to be focusing on getting better, or get into some other line of work. And I've been sitting at a desk and had people ushered back to me with mangy, twitchy dogs just like I described, who obviously are not doing anything for their lunatic owners that can't be forsworn or a few minutes, and I've had their fleas jump on me...and there were children in the lobby, and no leashes in sight.

Not only that, the ones with these *therapy dogs* will always choose to foist themselves upon everybody..they use these poor animals as attention getters and conversation starters. It's about attention, for most of them. Not for the vets, but for the majority.

you sure as hell cant....like always you just never seem to be able to back your bullshit up..

You're a democrat, nothing else needs to be said. I don't need to back anything up. You just pull turds out of your ass and call it an argument.

Actually, your a pothead. A hard core drug addict. Anyone that opposes drugs is your nightmare. Just go take your drugs, suck your thumb and find a peaceful coloring book.
You're a democrat
i am?.....ask some of the lefties here if they think i am....
You just pull turds out of your ass and call it an argument.
you mean like what you do?....
A hard core drug addict.
and you are a hard core alcoholic....so just go suck on your bottle and piss yourself,someone will be along....
See, this is the way it is. I don't justifiy alcohol. You do justify drugs. In fact, you oppose any attempt to stop drug use whereas I don't care if drunks are lined up in the park and shot right along with the potties.

Admit that the ONLY reason why you find opposition to drug use so painful is because you use. It's not hard. You will feel the better for the honesty.
i justify drugs?....really?....the only thing i have ever argued with you about is pot....and yet you are saying i justify 'drugs" when i never have....is this the alcohol talking or just more tipsy talk?....
There you go. Admitting you justify pot. Arguing over pot. Really? Have you ever seen me argue about alcohol? Line up the alkies with the potties. Right between the eyes. See how many you can get with one bullet.

It's rehab that works. Now you can stop trying to hijack this thread into your favorite subject - me.

Says the drunk cat lover.

as i've said before , my Dad and 2 Uncle- went to war , ww2 , stormed beaches , 1 died in France . The survivors came home , got jobs , got married , raised families and died natural deaths in beds in the USA . ------------------- in my OPINION , ptsd and similar is 'bs' in the majority of cases . In this particular case , i do not support this particular guy .
Actually, many many from WWI and WWII had PTSD or as they called it, "shell shock"...they were shuffled off to homes, hospitals, not talked about, became alcoholics, etc. Now we are actually trying to help them.....despite people like you.
------------------------------------------------------- big deal , shell shocked or 'ptsd' . As i said , i was surrounded by veterans that were my friends Dads and my teachers in school , the cops and firemen and other workers were all veterans . Most went to work to support and families as the single money maker in their homes . Drunks and drunkard behaviour are fine until laws are broken . Lots of people like a legal alchohol buzz and thats a personal decision Bodecea .

You know, people like you, with your sadly archaic ignorance and idealized blanket view of the world are the reason that medical science, and particularly psychiatric medicine, have such difficulty advancing sometimes.

Amazingly enough, there were a lot more veterans of WW2 than just your dad and his buddies that you knew, and anecdotal "evidence" isn't evidence. The fact is, there have been a lot of men who returned from every war in history who were so psychologically damaged that they were never able to function again. They wound up institutionalized or as a burden on their families or even homeless.

This is in no way to belittle the sacrifices and accomplishments of any generation that shouldered the responsibility of fighting for their country. But this rosy-glasses view you have of them just "manning up and handling it" is utter crap.
------------------------------------------- flotsam , maybe they shouldn't have survived . Course since they did survive they should perhaps be helped but not catered to and held up as heros Cecille.

I think you should take your abysmal, juvenile stupidity somewhere it will be appreciated. I'm sure there are still some Justin Bieber boards out there somewhere. And be sure not to EVER take advantage of any advances in medical treatment developed after 1960, since you obviously believe that all truth and wisdom was known at that time, and will be true forever.

Meanwhile, piss off. I'd rather hear from serious adults.

I can't say that I agree with that approach. At the very least, it's simply consigning the sufferer to being a cripple who is unable to live a functional life. If there's a way to allow people with illnesses to live normal lives, or at least closer to normal, then I consider that an advance that needs to be reasonably accommodated, just like requirements to have wheelchair ramps and elevators for those who can't walk.

Yes, I think it needs to follow the same legitimate, medically-approved practices observed with seeing-eye dogs, rather than simply letting people take pets with them willy-nilly, but I think it's a lot more reasonable than simply expecting someone to give up on living productively.
There's nothing functional about forcing yourself and your dog upon others.
People who can't function without a therapy dog aren't actually functioning. And why should an employer be forced to take that on?

No if the employer is willing to accommodate, that's great. But the dogs themselves place a burden on the state, iand everybody else, f the state is paying for them (and they do) and forcing employers to accommodate them.

I really don't have a problem with therapy dogs that are real service dogs for vets with ptsd. I do have a problem with unstable people forcing employers to hire them and accommodate their instability. People with ptsd, if they require a dog to be with them, probably shouldn't be spending 8 hours out in public if the only way they can keep from nutting out is if they have their dog. They need to be focusing on getting better, or get into some other line of work. And I've been sitting at a desk and had people ushered back to me with mangy, twitchy dogs just like I described, who obviously are not doing anything for their lunatic owners that can't be forsworn or a few minutes, and I've had their fleas jump on me...and there were children in the lobby, and no leashes in sight.

Not only that, the ones with these *therapy dogs* will always choose to foist themselves upon everybody..they use these poor animals as attention getters and conversation starters. It's about attention, for most of them. Not for the vets, but for the majority.

I'm frankly disturbed by your blase assumptions here. First of all, you say "I don't have a problem with real service dogs for vets with PTSD", but then go on to basically lump everyone into the "weirdos with mangy pets" category. And then there's the "stay home until you're perfectly healthy" mentality you seem to be ascribing to, as though going out and getting a job, albeit with a service dog, wouldn't be one of the stages of getting better.

Please make up your mind. Are all service dogs - with the presumed exception of seeing-eye dogs - "mangy attention-getters", or are there distinctions? Are veterans with PTSD legitimately ill and thus qualified for accommodations for the disabled, as the blind are, or are they "unstable people foisting themselves on others"? I've already drawn the distinction of a medically-legitimate diagnosis and prescription, and extensive training for the dog. Do you recognize these distinctions, or do you not?

My Dad hit the beach at Normandy. He never said a word about it. Never. But he wrote it down after he came home. After he died, his journal was copied and send to the children. My Dad was not a very articulate man. He was a taciturn indian who never had much to say. His account was of the small boats making their way up and down just off shore scooping body parts out of the ocean.

I've known people who got out of concentration camps, some horribly disfigured. I have known a bunch of guys from Viet Nam. Over the years, you just have to ask the hard questions like how come our fighting men are disabled from PTSD, but the Viet Namese AREN'T. The Viet Namese women who were beaten, raped, and watched their children killed run nail salons. What the FUCK happened?

The question isn't how to provide for these men that have PTSD but why they have it in the first place. The gang bangers, the career criminals never get PTSD and they see more combat than the average serviceman.

PTSD is real but the biggest killer was Agent Orange. My original company from 65-66 in Vietnam of about 160 returnees is down to 28 survivors. All of us had cancer of 3 types: Brain, Pancreas and Prostate. None of us had PTSD but we're all disabled.
Agent Orange is real. PTSD is made up.

Have you ever wondered how this country got settled if men really suffered from PTSD?

It's made up to deal with feeeellllings.

I just picked a reply almost randomly... you're posts are all equally repulsive.
I see a lot of shits on the internet. I've been a shit on the internet. But I don't know that I've ever seen quite so much shit shoved into such a small amount a space as you have here. You're wrong, you're disgusting, you're grotesque and you're just fucking nasty.
You should go dig a hole and bury yourself.
And yet, it won't happen and there is nothing you can do about it.

People who can't function without a therapy dog aren't actually functioning. And why should an employer be forced to take that on?

We're not talking about a therapy dog. We're talking about a service dog. Please note that I did already post about the training the dogs receive, and the functions they perform.

I think you should take your abysmal, juvenile stupidity somewhere it will be appreciated. I'm sure there are still some Justin Bieber boards out there somewhere. And be sure not to EVER take advantage of any advances in medical treatment developed after 1960, since you obviously believe that all truth and wisdom was known at that time, and will be true forever.

I'm frankly disturbed by your blase assumptions here. First of all, you say "I don't have a problem with real service dogs for vets with PTSD", but then go on to basically lump everyone into the "weirdos with mangy pets" category. And then there's the "stay home until you're perfectly healthy" mentality you seem to be ascribing to, as though going out and getting a job, albeit with a service dog, wouldn't be one of the stages of getting better.

Please make up your mind. Are all service dogs - with the presumed exception of seeing-eye dogs - "mangy attention-getters", or are there distinctions? Are veterans with PTSD legitimately ill and thus qualified for accommodations for the disabled, as the blind are, or are they "unstable people foisting themselves on others"? I've already drawn the distinction of a medically-legitimate diagnosis and prescription, and extensive training for the dog. Do you recognize these distinctions, or do you not?

I recognize the distinctions, and I addressed them. I also addressed the fact that if you can't function without a dog to keep you from spraying the lobby with bullets, you probably should spend a couple more years working on your issues, instead of trying to force people to hire, and accommodate, your crazy ass.

I'm straight up sick to death of accommodating crazy people so they feel better about themselves, while putting everybody else at risk.

We're not talking about a therapy dog. We're talking about a service dog. Please note that I did already post about the training the dogs receive, and the functions they perform.
Yeah, a blind person doesn't need a service dog to keep them from hallucinating and flashing back. They just need a dog to help them to the bathroom.

Oh puhleeze. You want your dog to be a service dog. Here you go.

US Service Dogs | Service Dog Registration and Products | Get your dog registered as a service dog!

For $69.00 your dog is a service dog. A little bit extra and they will send you a vest too. This is one of dozens of places that do the same thing. By the magic of the internet, your Fido is a service dog.

Let the dogs in. Everywhere. And tell these PTSD excuse buckets to grow a spine.

I recognize the distinctions, and I addressed them. I also addressed the fact that if you can't function without a dog to keep you from spraying the lobby with bullets, you probably should spend a couple more years working on your issues, instead of trying to force people to hire, and accommodate, your crazy ass.

Why the anger toward our military folks that come back less than perfect?

Oh puhleeze. You want your dog to be a service dog. Here you go.

US Service Dogs | Service Dog Registration and Products | Get your dog registered as a service dog!

For $69.00 your dog is a service dog. A little bit extra and they will send you a vest too. This is one of dozens of places that do the same thing. By the magic of the internet, your Fido is a service dog.

Let the dogs in. Everywhere. And tell these PTSD excuse buckets to grow a spine.

Grow a brain.
And don't pickle it drunk cat lover.

Bless our service puppies all over the world ...bless them

Forum List

Back