USMC vet claims PTSD and demands "right" to have pet dog with him at work.

I'm not anti-ptsd dogs, btw, my dil has severe ptsd from her time in Afghanistan and she has a dog who has been designated a therapy dog or whatever they designate them after they spend thousands of dollars to actually train them.

But she doesn't take him to work. She works security, there's no place for him. When she was unable to go out without him, she didn't work.

I can't say that I agree with that approach. At the very least, it's simply consigning the sufferer to being a cripple who is unable to live a functional life. If there's a way to allow people with illnesses to live normal lives, or at least closer to normal, then I consider that an advance that needs to be reasonably accommodated, just like requirements to have wheelchair ramps and elevators for those who can't walk.

Yes, I think it needs to follow the same legitimate, medically-approved practices observed with seeing-eye dogs, rather than simply letting people take pets with them willy-nilly, but I think it's a lot more reasonable than simply expecting someone to give up on living productively.
There's nothing functional about forcing yourself and your dog upon others.
People who can't function without a therapy dog aren't actually functioning. And why should an employer be forced to take that on?

We're not talking about a therapy dog. We're talking about a service dog. Please note that I did already post about the training the dogs receive, and the functions they perform.
Oh puhleeze. You want your dog to be a service dog. Here you go.

US Service Dogs | Service Dog Registration and Products | Get your dog registered as a service dog!

For $69.00 your dog is a service dog. A little bit extra and they will send you a vest too. This is one of dozens of places that do the same thing. By the magic of the internet, your Fido is a service dog.

Let the dogs in. Everywhere. And tell these PTSD excuse buckets to grow a spine.

Grow a brain.
And don't pickle it drunk cat lover.
Brilliant and sooooo mature for a person of your emotional age.

Have you sent in for your service kit yet?

I am missing the point here, if the poor guy is a vet and served his country, and he just wanted a dog to help him past his issues? I wished vets of wars past had that option. My dad was wounded fighting the Japanese. We ended up with an old grey haired mutt with white paws called Sox. My dad loved that dog, I can't take that away from veterans or anyone else.

I am missing the point here, if the poor guy is a vet and served his country, and he just wanted a dog to help him past his issues? I wished vets of wars past had that option. My dad was wounded fighting the Japanese. We ended up with an old grey haired mutt with white paws called Sox. My dad loved that dog, I can't take that away from veterans or anyone else.
Did your Dad love the dog or was he such an emotional cripple he couldn't go anywhere without the dog.

We are asking the wrong questions. What are we doing that causes these individuals to be so weak that they no longer function?

They had a movie out about horses in WWI, called war horses. Powerful movie.How about one called "Dogs of war"?

Last edited:
Did your Dad love the dog or was he such an emotional cripple he couldn't go anywhere without the dog.

We are asking the wrong questions. What are we doing that causes these individuals to be so weak that they no longer function?
My dad was wounded far outside of his injuries in a way none of us non vets can truly understand. Your post is so condescending as to almost be laughable. And if a dog takes away from any of that, I'm good with it. so what is YOUR problem? Its called human nature. Patton was demoted for calling men suffering from PTSD COWARDS and slapping them .

Last edited:

My dad was wounded far outside of his injuries in a way none of us non vets can truly understand. Your post is so condescending as to almost be laughable. And if a dog takes away from any of that, I'm good with it. so what is YOUR problem?
I think well behaved dogs should be allowed everywhere. Then we won't need fake service dog registrations.

Since men historically have been functional even after wars and our wars today are almost sterile compared to those in the past it is fair to ask what we are doing to remove masculinity.

Without ever having met your Dad I would bet he was one of those guys who came back from war, went to work, raised his family, didn't ask anything from anyone and dearly loved his dog.

Last edited:

What are we doing? We are sending them into war zones where their 'Fight or Flight' system is overwhelmed by the 24/7 stress and carnage. It is what has always happened. In WWI they called it "Shell Shock". In WWII is was "Battle Fatigue". Yes, men came home and didn't talk about what they had seen and done. That does not mean that they were ok.

Has war ever been any different? Wars have always been overwhelming. The incidence of people unable to cope has increased. There is a difference in the people. The men are not as strong nor are they capable of doing what they have historically been able to do.

------------------------------------------------------- big deal , shell shocked or 'ptsd' . As i said , i was surrounded by veterans that were my friends Dads and my teachers in school , the cops and firemen and other workers were all veterans . Most went to work to support and families as the single money maker in their homes . Drunks and drunkard behaviour are fine until laws are broken . Lots of people like a legal alchohol buzz and thats a personal decision Bodecea .

You know, people like you, with your sadly archaic ignorance and idealized blanket view of the world are the reason that medical science, and particularly psychiatric medicine, have such difficulty advancing sometimes.

Amazingly enough, there were a lot more veterans of WW2 than just your dad and his buddies that you knew, and anecdotal "evidence" isn't evidence. The fact is, there have been a lot of men who returned from every war in history who were so psychologically damaged that they were never able to function again. They wound up institutionalized or as a burden on their families or even homeless.

This is in no way to belittle the sacrifices and accomplishments of any generation that shouldered the responsibility of fighting for their country. But this rosy-glasses view you have of them just "manning up and handling it" is utter crap.
------------------------------------------- flotsam , maybe they shouldn't have survived . Course since they did survive they should perhaps be helped but not catered to and held up as heros Cecille.

I think you should take your abysmal, juvenile stupidity somewhere it will be appreciated. I'm sure there are still some Justin Bieber boards out there somewhere. And be sure not to EVER take advantage of any advances in medical treatment developed after 1960, since you obviously believe that all truth and wisdom was known at that time, and will be true forever.

Meanwhile, piss off. I'd rather hear from serious adults.
If people are so severe that they can't go out in public without their dog, then probably they shouldn't be working in the first place. The whole idea of expecting employers to accommodate every whim of employees is ridiculous, as is the idea that they must take on the liability of having someone with such severe ptsd that they need an animal to work...the liability is double..the person with ptsd and the animal.

So you really think that it's a better idea for people to simply succumb to their illnesses and become unproductive burdens on their families and the state, rather than finding ways to deal with their problems and do something useful with themselves?

No if the employer is willing to accommodate, that's great. But the dogs themselves place a burden on the state, iand everybody else, f the state is paying for them (and they do) and forcing employers to accommodate them.

I really don't have a problem with therapy dogs that are real service dogs for vets with ptsd. I do have a problem with unstable people forcing employers to hire them and accommodate their instability. People with ptsd, if they require a dog to be with them, probably shouldn't be spending 8 hours out in public if the only way they can keep from nutting out is if they have their dog. They need to be focusing on getting better, or get into some other line of work. And I've been sitting at a desk and had people ushered back to me with mangy, twitchy dogs just like I described, who obviously are not doing anything for their lunatic owners that can't be forsworn or a few minutes, and I've had their fleas jump on me...and there were children in the lobby, and no leashes in sight.

Not only that, the ones with these *therapy dogs* will always choose to foist themselves upon everybody..they use these poor animals as attention getters and conversation starters. It's about attention, for most of them. Not for the vets, but for the majority.

I'm frankly disturbed by your blase assumptions here. First of all, you say "I don't have a problem with real service dogs for vets with PTSD", but then go on to basically lump everyone into the "weirdos with mangy pets" category. And then there's the "stay home until you're perfectly healthy" mentality you seem to be ascribing to, as though going out and getting a job, albeit with a service dog, wouldn't be one of the stages of getting better.

Please make up your mind. Are all service dogs - with the presumed exception of seeing-eye dogs - "mangy attention-getters", or are there distinctions? Are veterans with PTSD legitimately ill and thus qualified for accommodations for the disabled, as the blind are, or are they "unstable people foisting themselves on others"? I've already drawn the distinction of a medically-legitimate diagnosis and prescription, and extensive training for the dog. Do you recognize these distinctions, or do you not?

I recognize the distinctions, and I addressed them. I also addressed the fact that if you can't function without a dog to keep you from spraying the lobby with bullets, you probably should spend a couple more years working on your issues, instead of trying to force people to hire, and accommodate, your crazy ass.

Why the anger toward our military folks that come back less than perfect?
-------------------------------------------------------- no ANGER , military Volunteers volunteer for their jobs for money , healthcare , wages , education so pay them what they are due . Also take care of their broken and missing bones and fund their disabilities that are service related and which can be PROVEN !! Problem is that PTSD is an unprovable malady . Plus this particular guy is trying to force his possible new employer to accept his dog even if the employer doesn't want the dog Deane .

Last edited:
and just a possibly off topic question but are these 'ptsd' clasified people considered to be mentally ill or dysfunctional for the rest of their lives by Government rules / laws or decrees . Off topic perhaps but if anyone knows i would like the answer .

Last edited:
PTSD has risen in direct proportion to the liberal concept of what they call toxic masculinity. Men being men is the disorder. They have to be turned into weak and fearful victims of violence.

Has war ever been any different? Wars have always been overwhelming. The incidence of people unable to cope has increased. There is a difference in the people. The men are not as strong nor are they capable of doing what they have historically been able to do.

PTSD has always existed, just not always named or diagnosed.

------------------------------------------------------- big deal , shell shocked or 'ptsd' . As i said , i was surrounded by veterans that were my friends Dads and my teachers in school , the cops and firemen and other workers were all veterans . Most went to work to support and families as the single money maker in their homes . Drunks and drunkard behaviour are fine until laws are broken . Lots of people like a legal alchohol buzz and thats a personal decision Bodecea .

You know, people like you, with your sadly archaic ignorance and idealized blanket view of the world are the reason that medical science, and particularly psychiatric medicine, have such difficulty advancing sometimes.

Amazingly enough, there were a lot more veterans of WW2 than just your dad and his buddies that you knew, and anecdotal "evidence" isn't evidence. The fact is, there have been a lot of men who returned from every war in history who were so psychologically damaged that they were never able to function again. They wound up institutionalized or as a burden on their families or even homeless.

This is in no way to belittle the sacrifices and accomplishments of any generation that shouldered the responsibility of fighting for their country. But this rosy-glasses view you have of them just "manning up and handling it" is utter crap.
------------------------------------------- flotsam , maybe they shouldn't have survived . Course since they did survive they should perhaps be helped but not catered to and held up as heros Cecille.

I think you should take your abysmal, juvenile stupidity somewhere it will be appreciated. I'm sure there are still some Justin Bieber boards out there somewhere. And be sure not to EVER take advantage of any advances in medical treatment developed after 1960, since you obviously believe that all truth and wisdom was known at that time, and will be true forever.

Meanwhile, piss off. I'd rather hear from serious adults.
If people are so severe that they can't go out in public without their dog, then probably they shouldn't be working in the first place. The whole idea of expecting employers to accommodate every whim of employees is ridiculous, as is the idea that they must take on the liability of having someone with such severe ptsd that they need an animal to work...the liability is double..the person with ptsd and the animal.

So you really think that it's a better idea for people to simply succumb to their illnesses and become unproductive burdens on their families and the state, rather than finding ways to deal with their problems and do something useful with themselves?

No if the employer is willing to accommodate, that's great. But the dogs themselves place a burden on the state, iand everybody else, f the state is paying for them (and they do) and forcing employers to accommodate them.

I really don't have a problem with therapy dogs that are real service dogs for vets with ptsd. I do have a problem with unstable people forcing employers to hire them and accommodate their instability. People with ptsd, if they require a dog to be with them, probably shouldn't be spending 8 hours out in public if the only way they can keep from nutting out is if they have their dog. They need to be focusing on getting better, or get into some other line of work. And I've been sitting at a desk and had people ushered back to me with mangy, twitchy dogs just like I described, who obviously are not doing anything for their lunatic owners that can't be forsworn or a few minutes, and I've had their fleas jump on me...and there were children in the lobby, and no leashes in sight.

Not only that, the ones with these *therapy dogs* will always choose to foist themselves upon everybody..they use these poor animals as attention getters and conversation starters. It's about attention, for most of them. Not for the vets, but for the majority.

I'm frankly disturbed by your blase assumptions here. First of all, you say "I don't have a problem with real service dogs for vets with PTSD", but then go on to basically lump everyone into the "weirdos with mangy pets" category. And then there's the "stay home until you're perfectly healthy" mentality you seem to be ascribing to, as though going out and getting a job, albeit with a service dog, wouldn't be one of the stages of getting better.

Please make up your mind. Are all service dogs - with the presumed exception of seeing-eye dogs - "mangy attention-getters", or are there distinctions? Are veterans with PTSD legitimately ill and thus qualified for accommodations for the disabled, as the blind are, or are they "unstable people foisting themselves on others"? I've already drawn the distinction of a medically-legitimate diagnosis and prescription, and extensive training for the dog. Do you recognize these distinctions, or do you not?

I recognize the distinctions, and I addressed them. I also addressed the fact that if you can't function without a dog to keep you from spraying the lobby with bullets, you probably should spend a couple more years working on your issues, instead of trying to force people to hire, and accommodate, your crazy ass.

Why the anger toward our military folks that come back less than perfect?
What you see is the true con-servative feelings towards our Vets.....not their fake feelings they use for political gain.

-------------------------------------------- and not ever been able to be PROVED RC .

-------------------------------------------- and not ever been able to be PROVED RC .

What mental health disorder has ever been able to be proved?

PTSD has risen in direct proportion to the liberal concept of what they call toxic masculinity. Men being men is the disorder. They have to be turned into weak and fearful victims of violence.
------------------------------------------------------------ And quite a bit of the war on masculinity is happening in public school from start of school [preschool] by feminized teachers [taxpayer paid] and administrators both male and female .

What mental health disorder has ever been able to be proved?
--------------------------------------- thats why i call BS , its just employment for 'head doktors' RC .

Forum List

Back