Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan, who coached during the Stockton-Malone era, has died at 78

"i thought John trained harder than me, and he thought the same about me, that i trained harder than him. when he called me at 3AM i was there for him, and vice versa. we talked about everything, basketball, politics, race, religion ETC" - Karl Malone on John Stockton

i didnt know he played for the Bulls! statement from the organization:

"Jerry Sloan was ‘The Original Bull’ whose tenacious defense and nightly hustle on the court represented the franchise and epitomized the city of Chicago. Jerry was the face of the Bulls organization from its inception through the mid-1970s, and very appropriately, his uniform No. 4 was the first jersey retired by the team. A great player and a Hall-of-Fame NBA coach, most importantly, Jerry was a great person. "

lost twice to the Bulls in the finals i believe, RIP

Sorry to hear this. Jerry was a good coach and a good, tough player. I enjoyed watching him play for the Bulls in the 1970's. RIP, Mr. Sloan.

Stockon turned the assist into a singularly spectacular art form under Sloan's mentorship

I remember Jerry Sloan principally from his playing days and the backcourt duo he formed with Norm Van Lier
(who predeceased Sloan in death in 2009) for the Chicago Bulls.
They were rugged and a defensive minded no frills pair.

Sloan got the utmost out of a team devoid of big names and high scoring stars in the post Malone-Stockton era. If there is a heaven Sloan is most likely there though I'm not telling God how to run his business.

2× NBA All-Star, 4x All-Defensive First Team, No. 4 Retired in Chicago. RIP legend

Forum List

Back