VA Extremely Short-Staffed

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
This isn’t the headline of the article as it declares the “VA doesn’t want you to know.” This surprises me as this site it usually quite fair.

The Department of Veterans Affairs waited until just before 5 pm on the Friday before Labor Day weekend to release eye-popping job vacancies data: the agency currently has a whopping 45,239 overall vacancies, 40,456 (89%) of which belong to the Veterans Health Administration.

This isn’t unique to the Trump Administration as the VA Secretary Bob McDonald, the VHA alone boasted some 41,500 job vacancies for medical professionals, more than the number listed in the agency’s Friday news dump.

And then it goes on to claim that President Trump’s cancellation of federal employees pay raise will only make it worse.

There is a simple problem. The demand for medical professionals outside of government is so big that’s where most of them are going to gain employment.

Is there a solution to this? IMHO, privatize as much as possible.

More of this @ The VA Doesn't Want You To Know Exactly How Short-Staffed It Is

This isn’t the headline of the article as it declares the “VA doesn’t want you to know.” This surprises me as this site it usually quite fair.

The Department of Veterans Affairs waited until just before 5 pm on the Friday before Labor Day weekend to release eye-popping job vacancies data: the agency currently has a whopping 45,239 overall vacancies, 40,456 (89%) of which belong to the Veterans Health Administration.

This isn’t unique to the Trump Administration as the VA Secretary Bob McDonald, the VHA alone boasted some 41,500 job vacancies for medical professionals, more than the number listed in the agency’s Friday news dump.

And then it goes on to claim that President Trump’s cancellation of federal employees pay raise will only make it worse.

There is a simple problem. The demand for medical professionals outside of government is so big that’s where most of them are going to gain employment.

That information has been out for years, well the fact that the VA has been chronically understaffed for at least a decade or more. Yes it is due to a huge shortage of care providers nation wide and it's getting worse.

Medical professionals are desperately in demand in the private sector as well. Our adult education program offers CNA programs over and over and even in our tiny community, even with nursing homes closing and hospitals downsizing, there are never enough. Full scholarships are being offered at colleges everywhere to get folks into the field.

Government pay rates do not compete with pay rates within the private sector & that goes for VA staffing so, how are the VA locations going to be (fully) staffed with qualified professionals?
Americans volunteer to serve their nation but before they do, they should also perform their own due diligence when it comes to what type of medical options they may have as veterans.
American veterans are actually treated like crap; there is no way in Hell I would recommend to anyone to volunteer for US military service.
I'm surprised that Trump himself hasn't said something stupid like, "we will build a wall around every VA hospital & make the vets pay for them."

Medical professionals are hard to find across the board. Which is why many are recruited from other states and countries.

And why current staff work long hours of OT.

Medical professionals are hard to find across the board. Which is why many are recruited from other states and countries.

Good thin Trump has gone to war against recruiting medical professionals from other countries

Maybe if we actually pushed our own kids into these high skill, high demand positions we’d be better off. Instead their heads are filled with crap and they choose to study useless things like “women’s studies” or political science.

Maybe if we actually pushed our own kids into these high skill, high demand positions we’d be better off. Instead their heads are filled with crap and they choose to study useless things like “women’s studies” or political science.
Half the country hates higher education, and not only that, they’re trying to make it harder for the half that likes it to get it. A self-defeating dilemma.

Half the country hates higher education, and not only that, they’re trying to make it harder for the half that likes it to get it. A self-defeating dilemma.

Who hates higher education?

I like how you think it can all be fixed by just training some Americans to be doctors. Why don’t you go become a doctor?
I'm helping my granddaughter go to medical school to be a doctor.

Does that count? ..... :cool:
That’s it? You want Trump to block hundreds or thousands of doctors from coming here to help our sick who are on years long waiting lists, and your justification is that you’ve got MAYBE one spawn of yours potentially going in?

That’s it? You want Trump to block hundreds or thousands of doctors from coming here to help our sick who are on years long waiting lists, and your justification is that you’ve got MAYBE one spawn of yours potentially going in?
Don't be obtuse. .... :cuckoo:

America is perfectly capable of turning out doctors and other health care medical professionals without resorting to importing them from other countries. ..... :cool:

Don't be obtuse. .... :cuckoo:

America is perfectly capable of turning out doctors and other health care medical professionals without resorting to importing them from other countries. ..... :cool:
Yeah even with those “imports” there’s still a shortage of 42,000. I’m sure those are just getting blocked from those jobs by Mexicans. That must be it.

The same VA Republicans have tried to undermine for the last 30 years to put profits in their campaign donors pockets at the expense of our veterans?

That VA?

Government pay rates do not compete with pay rates within the private sector & that goes for VA staffing so, how are the VA locations going to be (fully) staffed with qualified professionals?
Americans volunteer to serve their nation but before they do, they should also perform their own due diligence when it comes to what type of medical options they may have as veterans.
American veterans are actually treated like crap; there is no way in Hell I would recommend to anyone to volunteer for US military service.
I'm surprised that Trump himself hasn't said something stupid like, "we will build a wall around every VA hospital & make the vets pay for them."
No one is forced to use VA medical services. My dad didn't, until he became elderly, because he had BC/BS through his employer. Every VA is different, and the one he went to was great; he loved his doctor--and this is a man who had to be dragged by wild horses to a doc most of the time.
I have heard if you have been to one VA, you have been to one VA. There is no consistency, and as far as the bad ones go, that's good. My dad's experience was very positive.

Forum List

Back