Virginia House-passed voter ID, other changes head to Senate for consideration

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

The Virginia House of Delegates passed a voter identification bill and several other bills that would change voting rules in the commonwealth, which will now head to the Senate for consideration.

Each of the bills narrowly passed on 52-48 party-line votes with every Republican supporting the measures and every Democrat opposing the measures. The bills could have trouble getting through Senate committees or being passed on the Senate floor because Democrats narrowly control the Senate.

It will be interesting to see if the couple of semi-blue dog dems in the Virginia Senate will "play ball" in a effort to protect their seats in 2023.....Hope springs eternal.

You have to hope we will eventually have decent voting laws.
The one major problem is the left while claiming that people of color are equal also like to pretend that they are too stupid to get and hold onto ID. They are well aware that regeristing and voting same day and mass mass mailing of ballots works in their favor.

Person: “Hello, I would like to vote.”

Poll worker:”Sure, I just need to see an ID.”

Person:”YOU FUCKING NAZI! YOU ARE OPPRESSING ME!”

Same Person:”Hello, I would like to collect welfare.”

Person working at Welfare office:”Sure, I just need to see an ID.”

Same person:”No problem…here you go!”

Insisting someone prove who they are in order to vote is completely reasonable.

No ID law has ever stopped someone from voting who wanted to because most of them PROVIDE FREE ID FOR THOSE WHO CANNOT AFFORD ONE.

Last edited:
The idea of requiring voters to identify who they are is really going to hurt the Democrats ongoing.
Only in the short term, not long term, and short term only describes enactment too close to the next election. Although, if the places to issue voter ID is restricted to department of motor vehicle established sites with no change to separate the process from the standard DMV functions, could entail onerous wait times, old people just are not up to. At the same time, it should be remembered most (even old people) by the time they are old in the 21st century already have some form of ID that can prove who they are. So it really depends on how they wrote the legislation, if it will just aide in securing elections or have a possibly desired effect to cut down on democrat voting.

If passed it will make for a real mess in Virginia. Someone who is already registered to vote and doesn't have a D.L. is going to get turned away and it's going to cause an expensive lawsuit.

I would do it here in WV. I've been able to use my voters registration card since 1980. If I was then turned away it would cause a problem.

Only in the short term, not long term, and short term only describes enactment too close to the next election. Although, if the places to issue voter ID is restricted to department of motor vehicle established sites with no change to separate the process from the standard DMV functions, could entail onerous wait times, old people just are not up to. At the same time, it should be remembered most (even old people) by the time they are old in the 21st century already have some form of ID that can prove who they are. So it really depends on how they wrote the legislation, if it will just aide in securing elections or have a possibly desired effect to cut down on democrat voting.
Interesting enough, this could cause both of those to happen.

Interesting enough, this could cause both of those to happen.
Sooner or later, photo ID voter verification will happen across the country and people might as well get used to it and focus on making it easier to attain. Like it or not we are a country where you cannot freely do much without proper ID except maybe emergency medical care.
1644849826780.png

Sooner or later, photo ID voter verification will happen across the country and people might as well get used to it and focus on making it easier to attain. Like it or not we are a country where you cannot freely do much without proper ID except maybe emergency medical care.
View attachment 601235

They could do this right. You have the photo machine at the polling stations. When someone arrives without one you make them one. They aren't interested in doing it right, they are only interested in restricting the vote.

If passed it will make for a real mess in Virginia. Someone who is already registered to vote and doesn't have a D.L. is going to get turned away and it's going to cause an expensive lawsuit.

I would do it here in WV. I've been able to use my voters registration card since 1980. If I was then turned away it would cause a problem.
That's what a provisional ballot is for......Nobody's "getting paid". They can vote but their eligibility has to be approved before it's cast/counted.

Provisional ballots are cast when there's a question about a voter's eligibility, and are specially held for counting until officials are certain the vote should be accepted.

That's what a provisional ballot is for......Nobody's "getting paid". They can vote but their eligibility has to be approved before it's cast/counted.

Provisional ballots are cast when there's a question about a voter's eligibility, and are specially held for counting until officials are certain the vote should be accepted.

If you are questioning the card I've used since 1980 the issue is with you.

If you are questioning the card I've used since 1980 the issue is with you.
We had them too but were thought redundant with a Virginia ID.

LOL....I have at least three old voter registration cards (first one from '74) reflecting the different district gerrymandering over the years.....and I've lived in the same place all my life.

Then again my little county has been sliced and diced with nearly every redistricting.

They could do this right. You have the photo machine at the polling stations. When someone arrives without one you make them one. They aren't interested in doing it right, they are only interested in restricting the vote.
Restricting the vote does appear to be a primary purpose, even to the most casual observer.

You need to stop pretending you can read minds. There are many ways to make this work.

You need to stop pretending you can read minds. There are many ways to make this work.

And yet no one presents them. Telling people who have voted for years to bugger off, you no longer can is not how it is done.

And yet no one presents them. Telling people who have voted for years to bugger off, you no longer can is not how it is done.
It would appear to the casual observer that getting an ID is somehow one of the most insurmountable obstacles that can be placed in front of a voter. From whence comes the idea that only democrat voters won't have and can't get ID's? Require them, and since they're required, provide them at no cost. Problem solved.

It would appear to the casual observer that getting an ID is somehow one of the most insurmountable obstacles that can be placed in front of a voter.

NO obstacle should be placed in front of a voter that has already registered to vote. The right to vote is one of the most important rights we have and in your own words you want to place obstacles.

From whence comes the idea that only democrat voters won't have and can't get ID's? Require them, and since they're required, provide them at no cost. Problem solved.

I care less about your arguments. I noted they could provide them when people show up to vote. That isn't what is going to happen is it?

I get such a kick out of everyone that claims ID is so hard to get. Yet one is needed for almost every activity one does in this world.
To hand one out on the day of voting means someone can run from poll to poll get an ID vote. Get another vote.
To claim it is a way to keep people from voting is almost as funny as people of color are unable to do such a thing because they do not know how or can not keep it long enough.

Forum List

Back