Virginia Polling Locations - 1st Amendment Permitted, 2nd Amendment Not Permitted.

Jim H - VA USA

Plutonium Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 19, 2020
In Virginia, we can wear a MAGA hat or a "I love the potato in chief" beanie when we vote. I support that.

But we can't carry a firearm when we vote, and both activities are fundamental rights for law-abiding citizens.

I think this is unconstitutional.

Thoughts?

Supporting information below.....

D. The provisions of subsections A and C shall not be construed to prohibit a person who approaches or enters the polling place for the purpose of voting from wearing a shirt, hat, or other apparel on which a candidate's name or a political slogan appears or from having a sticker or button attached to his apparel on which a candidate's name or a political slogan appears. This exemption shall not apply to candidates, representatives of candidates, or any other person who approaches or enters the polling place for any purpose other than voting.
Title 24.2. Elections

A. During the times the polls are open and ballots are being counted, or within one hour of opening or after closing, it is unlawful for any person (i) to loiter or congregate within 40 feet of any entrance of any polling place; (ii) within such distance to give, tender, or exhibit any ballot, ticket, or other campaign material to any person or to solicit or in any manner attempt to influence any person in casting his vote; (iii) to hinder or delay a qualified voter in entering or leaving a polling place; or (iv) to knowingly possess any firearm as defined in § 18.2-308.2:2 within 40 feet of any building, or part thereof, used as a polling place.
Title 24.2. Elections

NY Judge recently ruled that NY can’t outlaw firearms in church. Polling locations should arguably be no different.

Judge again rules parts of New York gun law unconstitutional

In Virginia, we can wear a MAGA hat or a "I love the potato in chief" beanie when we vote. I support that.

But we can't carry a firearm when we vote, and both activities are fundamental rights for law-abiding citizens.

Thoughts?

D. The provisions of subsections A and C shall not be construed to prohibit a person who approaches or enters the polling place for the purpose of voting from wearing a shirt, hat, or other apparel on which a candidate's name or a political slogan appears or from having a sticker or button attached to his apparel on which a candidate's name or a political slogan appears. This exemption shall not apply to candidates, representatives of candidates, or any other person who approaches or enters the polling place for any purpose other than voting.
Title 24.2. Elections

A. During the times the polls are open and ballots are being counted, or within one hour of opening or after closing, it is unlawful for any person (i) to loiter or congregate within 40 feet of any entrance of any polling place; (ii) within such distance to give, tender, or exhibit any ballot, ticket, or other campaign material to any person or to solicit or in any manner attempt to influence any person in casting his vote; (iii) to hinder or delay a qualified voter in entering or leaving a polling place; or (iv) to knowingly possess any firearm as defined in § 18.2-308.2:2 within 40 feet of any building, or part thereof, used as a polling place.
Title 24.2. Elections

NY Judge recently ruled that NY can’t outlaw firearms in church. Polling locations should arguably be no different.

Can't in Florida either and many other states.

Thoughts?

Title 24.2. Elections

Title 24.2. Elections

We’ve seen what happens when blobbers lose. You injure people. Good move in not allowing guns in the voting booth

Thoughts?

Title 24.2. Elections

Title 24.2. Elections

Leave it locked in the car. You're going to execute a legal doc. It's a solemn assembly. Dont need accusations of "shows of force" from the left. You're much more likely to START an issue than settle any issue with that display.

Leave it locked in the car. You're going to execute a legal doc. It's a solemn assembly. Dont need accusations of "shows of force" from the left. You're much more likely to START an issue than settle any issue with that display.
This thread is about the constitutionality of it. I have no desire to bring my gun to the polling location even though I have a carry permit.

I want the legal option to do so.

This thread is not about me. It is about constitutional rights which shall not be infringed, and you seem so willing to give up.

Big difference.

You seem to think there is logic in banning guns at the polls but not WalMart.

Why should law-abiding citizens have to leave their firearm in the car? Makes no sense.

Last edited:

Thoughts?

Title 24.2. Elections

Title 24.2. Elections

Now what the fuck would you need a war instrument in a polling place for?

Oh wait. I remember what it's for.

This thread is about the constitutionality of it. I have no desire to bring my gun to the polling location even though I have a carry permit.

I want the legal option to do so.

This thread is not about me. It is about constitutional rights which shall not be infringed, and you seem so willing to give up.

Big difference.

You seem to think there is logic in banning guns at the polls but not WalMart.

Since you're bound to the gun -- just dont attempt to invoke your Constitutional rights when you're going into lie down for a MRI exam or a Court House -- OK? You try that in an MRI -- you'll probably pistol whip yourself.

Since you're bound to the gun -- just dont attempt to invoke your Constitutional rights when you're going into lie down for a MRI exam or a Court House -- OK? You try that in an MRI -- you'll probably pistol whip yourself.
Court House is actually a good example, and somewhat analogous.

I think the law prohibiting carry in polling locations is ludicrous.

Even if polling locations are some kind of "sacred ground," the law only works to restrict the law-abiding.

As usual, all of you folks who support such unconstitutional restrictions fail to realize that all the bad people completely ignore laws like this, and the law achieves absolutely nothing constructive.

Court House is actually a good example, and somewhat analogous.

I think the law prohibiting carry in polling locations is ludicrous.

Even if polling locations are some kind of "sacred ground," the law only works to restrict the law-abiding.

As usual, all of you folks who support such unconstitutional restrictions fail to realize that all the bad people completely ignore laws like this, and the law achieves absolutely nothing constructive.

Exercising your 1st amendment at a polling place can end up looking like this outside an Atlanta polling place in 2018.

BLACK-PATHERS-THREATENING-VOTERS.png

Weapons at polling places BECOME a political statement. I have only ONE problem with the Black Panthers doing this. And that is -- AS A POLITICAL STATEMENT -- it's nuts as hell -- since Abrahms is a SEVERE advocate of CONFISCATING those weapons. Just LOOKS like morons because of the irony.

You're making a political statement in violation of the law also. And THAT can "look stupid" as well. Voting IS THE WAY to change that law. I have no issue with it either way. But as long as the law it WHAT IT IS -- DONT FORCE it be seen as a political statement. Get it fixed by voting properly.

Exercising your 1st amendment at a polling place can end up looking like this outside an Atlanta polling place in 2018.

BLACK-PATHERS-THREATENING-VOTERS.png

Weapons at polling places BECOME a political statement. I have only ONE problem with the Black Panthers doing this. And that is -- AS A POLITICAL STATEMENT -- it's nuts as hell -- since Abrahms is a SEVERE advocate of CONFISCATING those weapons. Just LOOKS like morons because of the irony.

You're making a political statement in violation of the law also. And THAT can "look stupid" as well. Voting IS THE WAY to change that law. I have no issue with it either way. But as long as the law it WHAT IT IS -- DONT FORCE it be seen as a political statement. Get it fixed by voting properly.
Sorry, but your silly picture is still allowed outside of the prohibited zone - 40 feet in VA, 50 feet to 150 feet in other states.

The prohibition is downright meaningless, as you have just proven.

Now, back to reality and the thread. Picture someone with a concealed carry permit. They carry their gun just about everywhere. But it's prohibited at the polling locations.

I say it's unconstitutional, and I explained why.

Your arguments have not been very convincing as to why the prohibition is constitutional or even reasonable.

You did mention courts, which is somewhat analogous. However, it is dramatically different because at court, the government provides airport-grade security for everyone. This includes searches and armed guards. The same is not provided at the polling locations.

If a bad guy were to do something at the polling location, the good guys have all been disarmed by the government!

Now, back to the thread and the OP...

Voting and carrying a firearm are both inalienable rights of law abiding citizens. It is unconstitutional to infringe upon one for the sake of another, just like it is unconstitutional to ban firearms in houses of worship.

Forum List

Back