Walking the Atlantic City Boardwalk in 1928....

The Purge

Platinum Member
Aug 16, 2018
90 years ago and 99.9% of these Americans are now dead....
Everybody, and I mean everybody in either full suits or dresses. Even the children. Almost everybody in a hat.

Instead of Uber, you had pushcarts (called rolling chairs). Hundreds of pushcarts that are especially prevalent towards the end of the video. All pushed by men in suits. Even today, the push carts persist on the Atlantic City boardwalk.

I might be mistaken but I believe that the wooden planks you see in the video are pretty much the exact same wooden planks that are still on the boardwalk today. Except those planks are trod on mostly by sloppily dressed people in flip-flops, sweatpants and t-shirts. The people from 1928 would likely be horrified with how we dress today.

One thing that struck me about the video is that the novelty of it fascinated those walking in front of the cameraman. They kept turning around to mug for the cameras. They could have no idea that 90 years later, thousands of people would be viewing them as they walked down the boardwalk on what was for them just a normal day.

I love Atlantic City! I spent a year of my career there renovating the Boardwalk invention Hall back in 1999.

When I was a kid in the 1950's, no man who worked in an office would be caught dead on the street without a hat. Nor would he be found in any restaurant without a coat and tie ("fast food" didn't exist then). In fact, going out to any public event (e.g., a baseball game) a suit and tie were socially required.

Working fathers wore the business clothing to the DINNER TABLE, and everyone was required to be neat, properly dressed, and clean. The Wife/mother was usually in a dresss, with full makeup, etc. Watch old "Father Knows Best" and "Leave it to Beaver" episodes; those are not made-up household customs, they are completely normal for the time.

John Kennedy personally KILLED the American hat industry, being the first public figure in more than a generation who would be seen in public, outdoors, without a hat.

Blue jeans ("dungarees") were considered vulgar, unless you were ACTUALLY doing manual labor at the time. Baseball caps were for...playing baseball.

You don't have to go back to 1928 to find civilization.

When I was a kid in the 1950's, no man who worked in an office would be caught dead on the street without a hat. Nor would he be found in any restaurant without a coat and tie ("fast food" didn't exist then). In fact, going out to any public event (e.g., a baseball game) a suit and tie were socially required.

Working fathers wore the business clothing to the DINNER TABLE, and everyone was required to be neat, properly dressed, and clean. The Wife/mother was usually in a dresss, with full makeup, etc. Watch old "Father Knows Best" and "Leave it to Beaver" episodes; those are not made-up household customs, they are completely normal for the time.

John Kennedy personally KILLED the American hat industry, being the first public figure in more than a generation who would be seen in public, outdoors, without a hat.

Blue jeans ("dungarees") were considered vulgar, unless you were ACTUALLY doing manual labor at the time. Baseball caps were for...playing baseball.

You don't have to go back to 1928 to find civilization.

Hell,even back in 83 when I was 18 we still wore a suit and tie when we got on airplane.
And this was to fly to California for the US festival.

I was within sixty feet for this one.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back