Warmest March on record according to the Japanese Meteorological Agency

It's related to his smart waves/photons idea. A warm body stops radiating if a warmer body moves nearby. Nearby meaning anywhere, apparently.

You never stop lying do you...even to yourself. The whole smart waves photons idea is your creation, resulting from your own intellectual failure.....just like now, trying to impose time and distance on to a photon that experiences neither.

The whole smart waves photons idea is your creation

A wave that can tell the temperature of every particle it could posibly touch, anywhere in the universe, all at once....that's not a smart wave?

Just how much information is that? That has to be more than any supercomputer.
A wave that can tell the temperature of every particle it could posibly touch, anywhere in the universe, all at once....that's not a smart wave?
Now you've confused me. Ian stated yesterday I believe, that the photon moves in a straight line, how can it choose that straight line if it doesn't know the temperature of every particle at the same time?

It's related to his smart waves/photons idea. A warm body stops radiating if a warmer body moves nearby. Nearby meaning anywhere, apparently.

You never stop lying do you...even to yourself. The whole smart waves photons idea is your creation, resulting from your own intellectual failure.....just like now, trying to impose time and distance on to a photon that experiences neither.

Tell me toddster...if you have a body radiating out in all directions and you bring another, warmer body into physical contact with it, do you still believe it is transferring energy into the warmer body it is in contact with?

As soon as you explain how conduction transfers energy, I'll point out where you're confused.
again, silly jc here, but collisions of pressure systems introduces tornadoes, no?

well son, my argument is that the cooler atmosphere cannot warm the surface. I ask for proof. None is given.

well son, my argument is that the cooler atmosphere cannot warm the surface.

Yes, we're all aware of your low IQ.

I ask for proof. None is given.

Does the 70 degree blanket you cover yourself with at night make you feel warmer? Why?

Well, since you're so much more smarter than me, show me evidence of back radiation, you know where the cold atmosphere pushes IR waves back to the surface. Funny how the internet sources can't seem to provide an experiment. But hey, I'm no scientist and I have a low IQ, but damn if I can figure out why it's cold in the desert at night with CO2 above it. strange.

Does the 70 degree blanket you cover yourself with at night make you feel warmer? Why

because it is made of cotton, covers me at night when I'm cold and makes me warm. BTW, mine is 66 degrees before I use it. It isn't made of CO2 so I don't understand the anomaly. Perhaps it's due to my low IQ I bet ya.

Well, since you're so much more smarter than me, show me evidence of back radiation,

Have you ever noticed the coldest nights in winter are nights when the sky is clear?
And that cloudy nights tend to be warmer? That's back radiation.

but damn if I can figure out why it's cold in the desert at night with CO2 above it.

That's the lack of clouds. Glad you understand.

because it is made of cotton, covers me at night when I'm cold and makes me warm.

Something cooler makes you warm? Don't tell SSDD.

Have you ever noticed the coldest nights in winter are nights when the sky is clear?

water vapor not CO2 first off, and do the clouds imply back radiation exists, or the heat cannot escape through the denseness of the cloud acting like a lower atmosphere.

Something cooler makes you warm? Don't tell SSDD
So, the temperature under the blanket is merely my body heat, no hotter, same as hair on top of your head if you're lucky to still have some. I doubt the blanket gets warmer and it merely restricts outbound heat. Not similar to CO2. So you would have to prove to me that CO2 acts like a blanket and not a blanket acts like CO2. My whole concern is based on CO2 claims, not all atmospheric behavior. Do you have evidence that CO2 causes back radiation or slows down IR's exit to space.

water vapor not CO2 first off, and do the clouds imply back radiation exists, or the heat cannot escape through the denseness of the cloud acting like a lower atmosphere.

The clouds don't radiate back toward the ground? Then how do they keep it warmer?

So, the temperature under the blanket is merely my body heat, no hotter

Hotter than without the blanket.

Do you have evidence that CO2 causes back radiation

CO2 absorbs and re-emits energy. Some toward the ground. Just like water vapor.
The clouds don't radiate back toward the ground? Then how do they keep it warmer?

Heat can't get out, seems fairly simple, pressure keeps the heat in sort of like that blanket idea Ian had.

No, my body heat is constant, my body temperature does not go up because I am under a blanket.

CO2 absorbs and re-emits energy. Some toward the ground. Just like water vapor

I disagree, and is the point we disagree on. There is no evidence to suggest that happens.

So, the temperature under the blanket is merely my body heat, no hotter, same as hair on top of your head if you're lucky to still have some. I doubt the blanket gets warmer and it merely restricts outbound heat. Not similar to CO2. So you would have to prove to me that CO2 acts like a blanket and not a blanket acts like CO2. My whole concern is based on CO2 claims, not all atmospheric behavior. Do you have evidence that CO2 causes back radiation or slows down IR's exit to space.

Toddster thinks that if you are under a blanket you will give yourself a fever...if you stay under there long enough, eventually you will burst into flames from the backradition going back and forth and back and forth.
I just read this post, and funny because I just told him that. He thinks that my 98.6 temperature will be > 100 or something. Holy crap!

Here is the thinking I don't understand: If GHGs can't backradiate, water would be in the same category.

Water, unlike all other so called greenhouse gasses can absorb and retain energy rather than absorb and immediately emit. Water absorbs and retains but no so called greenhouse gas radiates back to the surface except during rare inversions where the surface is cooler than the local atmosphere.
Every substance in the atmosphere can absorb and retain energy as thermal energy. Water is exceptional in that it also has phase changes and latent heat.
hmmmmmmmm

No, I said that there was an electrical signal that was the result of a resonance frequency....not an actual measurement of CMB.
Look, the detection is by a MASER. That stands for "microwave amplification by stimulated emission of radiation" That means a microwave is amplified from a stimulation of radiation. That is exactly what is called a measurement of radiation. Your interpretation is like saying an amplifier to measure a microvolt isn't a measurement of a voltage; it's just LED's glowing with numbers?
Some people get so invested in post modern science and mathematical models that they begin to equate the output of mathematical models with observation....they can't see a difference between the two.
Microwave frequencies measured by a radio telescope cannot equated to a mathematical model.
There is no measurement of CMB...there is an electrical signal that is the result of a resonance frequency...but you, and many, believe that CMB was actually measured.
What is very odd is that you are precisely describing a type of measurement and immediately discounting it. High Q amplifiers are used all the time to detect frequencies. That is also what a maser is, an amplifier.

A warm body stops radiating if a warmer body moves nearby. Nearby meaning anywhere, apparently.
Here is the thinking I don't understand: If GHGs can't backradiate, water would be in the same category. If that's the case, Earth would radiate almost all it's surface thermal energy to space. Under equilibrium where the earth radiation output was the same as the sun radiation input, that would make the earth surface very cold (I read minus 40 degrees C). That would be an interesting question for him to answer. Or maybe he has already conjured up an answer somewhere.

You haven't heard his gravity warms the atmosphere theory yet. Apparently it's been proven. Somewhere.

Tell me Ian, if the mass of an atmosphere can't generate heat, why is the bottom of the troposphere of Uranus warmer than the bottom of the troposphere here on earth on a planet that is arguably the coldest place in the solar system? It certainly isn't a greenhouse effect at work...and it isn't the Kelvin–Helmholtz mechanism at work....so why if not the mass of the atmosphere?

Okay. First off where is the link to the probe data that measured the temperature profile of Uranus?

There is no doubt that a diffuse cloud of gas condensing into a ball generates kinetic heat at the expense of gravitational potential. Uranus has had three billion years to come to equilibrium. What are the heat sources now? Radioactive core and sunlight. There is always a temperature gradient in a sphere that has a heat source. You are saying that a point on that gradient is warmer than our surface. So what?

If Uranus was moved farther from the Sun what would happen? It would receive less energy and the atmosphere would contract until equilibrium was restored. If there was no power sources then the contraction would continue, turning gravitational potential into kinetic heat into blackbody radiation until there was nothing but a lump of frozen gases at close to absolute zero.

Do we see signs of this process on Earth? Yes we do. The atmosphere on the sunlit side puffs up and then returns the stored potential energy at night. The poles have a thinner atmosphere than the equator. If we suddenly had no solar input the atmosphere would empty its heatsink and shrink down to a frozen layer on the surface and perhaps a sparse amount of gas that was thawed by the output of the radioactive core.

Mass and gravity have a large effect on the temperature gradient of our atmosphere. But it is already at equilibrium. There are small changes due to variations of energy input but that evens out.

Now you've confused me. Ian stated yesterday I believe, that the photon moves in a straight line, how can it choose that straight line if it doesn't know the temperature of every particle at the same time?

how can it choose that straight line if it doesn't know the temperature of every particle at the same time?

A photon knows the temperature of all those particles and chooses the line it travels?
That's one smart photon!

how can it choose that straight line if it doesn't know the temperature of every particle at the same time?

A photon knows the temperature of all those particles and chooses the line it travels?
That's one smart photon!
That's one smart photon!
right?

BTW, It wasn't I that originated the straight line comment. IMO, the photon touches all of the surrounding particles at once. No straight line, and it never moves. And why there is no back radiation.

well son, my argument is that the cooler atmosphere cannot warm the surface.

I ask for proof. None is given.

Does the 70 degree blanket you cover yourself with at night make you feel warmer? Why?

Well, since you're so much more smarter than me, show me evidence of back radiation, you know where the cold atmosphere pushes IR waves back to the surface. Funny how the internet sources can't seem to provide an experiment. But hey, I'm no scientist and I have a low IQ, but damn if I can figure out why it's cold in the desert at night with CO2 above it. strange.

Does the 70 degree blanket you cover yourself with at night make you feel warmer? Why

because it is made of cotton, covers me at night when I'm cold and makes me warm. BTW, mine is 66 degrees before I use it. It isn't made of CO2 so I don't understand the anomaly. Perhaps it's due to my low IQ I bet ya.

Well, since you're so much more smarter than me, show me evidence of back radiation,

but damn if I can figure out why it's cold in the desert at night with CO2 above it.

because it is made of cotton, covers me at night when I'm cold and makes me warm.

Heat can't get out, seems fairly simple, pressure keeps the heat in sort of like that blanket idea Ian had.

No, my body heat is constant, my body temperature does not go up because I am under a blanket.

I disagree, and is the point we disagree on. There is no evidence to suggest that happens.

Heat can't get out,

The cloud stops the heat from getting out of the ground? How?

pressure keeps the heat in

The pressure of the cloud keeps the heat from getting out of the ground?

my body temperature does not go up because I am under a blanket.

I didn't say your body temperature goes up, I said it makes you feel warmer.

There is no evidence to suggest that happens.

No evidence that green house gasses emit energy toward the ground?
You mentioned a cold night in the desert. Were you wrong?

Heat can't get out,

hahahahaahaha, I don't recall stating ground, but hey why not make stories up since you have no answer.

again with the ground, I supposed the space in between doesn't matter to you, but again, you have no answer.

ah, yeah you did. Now you're lying.

not CO2. I thought I already explained my objective was based on CO2 and not the atmosphere as a whole. but it's obvious you post as a disingenuous sort.

The human body has many heat regulatory systems and adaptive behaviors. It keeps the core temp in a narrow range or it dies.

Clothes or a blanket reduce heat loss if it is cold, reducing the power(food) requirements. Other ways are such things as shivering which burns fuel just to produce waste (but needed) heat, or the faetal position which minimizes the amount of skin exposed to colder surroundings. Blood flow restrictions to extremities is another.

Blankets don't make you warmer in the core but they do reduce the need for more uncomfortable and expensive ways of maintaining your core temp.

The human body has many heat regulatory systems and adaptive behaviors. It keeps the core temp in a narrow range or it dies.

Clothes or a blanket reduce heat loss if it is cold, reducing the power(food) requirements. Other ways are such things as shivering which burns fuel just to produce waste (but needed) heat, or the faetal position which minimizes the amount of skin exposed to colder surroundings. Blood flow restrictions to extremities is another.

Blankets don't make you warmer in the core but they do reduce the need for more uncomfortable and expensive ways of maintaining your core temp.
agreed, that's all a blanket does. It does not act like CO2 though.

Blankets aren't only about radiation so they aren't a good example.

Your hands are sensitive to heat changes. On a very hot or cold day put your hand out flat and walk towards an outside wall with your eyes closed. Chances are that you will detect the wall before you touch it.

And why radiant heat is more comfortable.

Blankets aren't only about radiation so they aren't a good example.

Your hands are sensitive to heat changes. On a very hot or cold day put your hand out flat and walk towards an outside wall with your eyes closed. Chances are that you will detect the wall before you touch it.

And why radiant heat is more comfortable.
agreed! And the cold air outside keeps the heat indoors and why most pipes and registers are on the outside walls.

Heat can't get out,

hahahahaahaha, I don't recall stating ground, but hey why not make stories up since you have no answer.

again with the ground, I supposed the space in between doesn't matter to you, but again, you have no answer.

not CO2. I thought I already explained my objective was based on CO2 and not the atmosphere as a whole. but it's obvious you post as a disingenuous sort.

So what did this mean?

"or the heat cannot escape through the denseness of the cloud acting like a lower atmosphere"
The heat leaves ground level and when it can't escape thru the clouds, a couple of thousand feet up, that keeps us warmer on the ground?

Heat can't get out,

So what did this mean?

"or the heat cannot escape through the denseness of the cloud acting like a lower atmosphere"
The heat leaves ground level and when it can't escape thru the clouds, a couple of thousand feet up, that keeps us warmer on the ground?

During daytime, clouds can block sunlight from reaching the surface, which tends to restrict surface heating. On the other hand, at night, clouds do trap surface heat, making the surface warmer than it would on a clear night.

You weren't talking about temperature on the ground during that cold desert night?

No, I said felt warmer. You're confused.

not CO2. I thought I already explained my objective was based on CO2 and not the atmosphere as a whole. but it's obvious you post as a disingenuous sort

I didn't say CO2 either, I said clouds.
So why does a cloudy night feel warmer, on average, than a clear night?

Heat can't get out,

So what did this mean?

During daytime, clouds can block sunlight from reaching the surface, which tends to restrict surface heating. On the other hand, at night, clouds do trap surface heat, making the surface warmer than it would on a clear night.

On the other hand, at night, clouds do trap surface heat,

Trap it how? Where?

Heat can't get out,

So what did this mean?

On the other hand, at night, clouds do trap surface heat,

Trap it how? Where?

Clouds prevent infrared heat from radiating back out to space, particularly at night. This happens anywhere there is cloud cover at night, and is well known and understood.

Forum List

Back