Warning Drivers Of Speed Traps With Flashing Headlights Is Free Speech

Gracie

que sera, sera
Feb 13, 2013
Wherever
Warning Drivers Of Speed Traps With Flashing Headlights Is Free Speech

A federal judge in St. Louis ruled Monday that a driver flashing their lights to warn other drivers of an impending speed trap is protected free speech.

On November 22, 2012 Michael Elli received a ticket for flashing his lights to warn fellow drivers of a speed trap, according to Fox 2. The American Civil Liberties Union helped Elli fight the $1,000 ticket all the way to federal court.

Judge Henry Autrey of St. Louis ruled a driver has the right to flash their lights under the First Amendment. Autrey issued an injunction to stop Ellisville Police from enforcing the policy.

Another idiot federal judge repeals a law. Judges have no constitutional authority to repeal laws and furthermore, flashing headlights is NOT speech.

Hmmmmm...

Judges ARE empowered to declare a law unconstitutional, are they not?

As to 'speech'... perhaps it will help to think of it as 'freedom of communication' or 'expression', instead.

But folks who appreciate an imaginative turn of a metaphor here and there are fine with labeling it as 'speech'.

The label isn't important.

The thing described by label is what is important.

Last edited:
^I will too. Flashing your lights means that drivers will slow down, thus reducing their risk of accident. Whether they speed up after passing the speed trap is not relevant - if they are unaware of a speed trap, they will be speeding regardless, and the state makes money off them. I don't understand how warning motorists could be considered a bad thing.

flashing headlights is NOT speech.
Lol wow you really think the concept of freedom of speech as described in the 1st amendment only applies to actually sounding out words with your voice?

So I'm guessing you believe free speech doesn't apply to someone carrying a sign, or writing an article, deaf people using sign language, typing a post on this message board, etc.

Another idiot federal judge repeals a law. Judges have no constitutional authority to repeal laws and furthermore, flashing headlights is NOT speech.

So I guess you don't think sign language is not free speach either... idiot

The American Civil Liberties Union helped Elli fight the $1,000 ticket all the way to federal court.

good. everybody remember whom to contact when you get a ticket

this isn't the first time a court has ruled this. The 11th Federal Court of Appeals made the same ruling last year.

Didn't need a judge to tell me I can do this...I do it every time I see a pig stopped somewhere trying to catch people...also use social media to let them know where they are stopping cars at checkpoints as well.Have considered starting a website to reach more people.

Didn't need a judge to tell me I can do this...I do it every time I see a pig stopped somewhere trying to catch people...also use social media to let them know where they are stopping cars at checkpoints as well.Have considered starting a website to reach more people.

You do know cops have to post check points right? Been that way for year's. And I think there is an app for what you suggest already

A number of courts have ruled the same way. I have used the the flashing of my high beams for as long as I can remember as a warning to a speed trap ahead. Unfortunately with the drivers of today I even doubt that they get the message.

I'll keep doing it too, and would relish the opportunity to defend myself in court if it should come to that.

A number of courts have ruled the same way. I have used the the flashing of my high beams for as long as I can remember as a warning to a speed trap ahead. Unfortunately with the drivers of today I even doubt that they get the message.

I wouldn't recommend flashing high beams because you can be cited for creating a hazard if a cop was riled enough. Besides, flashing high beams is usually used to signify the oncoming traffic has their high beams on.

On/Off is what I've always used.

(To provide context, 90% of my driving is done at night. Oops)

I wouldn't recommend flashing high beams because you can be cited for creating a hazard if a cop was riled enough. Besides, flashing high beams is usually used to signify the oncoming traffic has their high beams on.

On/Off is what I've always used.

(To provide context, 90% of my driving is done at night. Oops)

People like me just do it during the day when speed traps are most active. I don't pull that stunt at night a different meaning. Like you just posted

Last edited:

Why isn't it speech, because you aren't using your actual voice? If that is your standard, then you must be saying that people with speech disabilities don't have the right to freedom of speech.

Clearly freedom of speech includes all forms of communication, from typing text, to flashing lights.

Forum List

Back