Watch As Pickup Plunges 70 Feet Off A Snowy, Icy Wisconsin Overpass

I was about 50 miles from the pileup in Ft Worth. I've never seen roads so completely covered in ice. It was solid ice edge to edge. I literally watched 80klb 18 wheelers sliding off the side of the road at 0mph because the road had a slight slope to the side for water drainage.

I myself happened to be in the best most "level" lane, the hammer lane, when we came to a stop. I was barely able to crawl. There were trucks that had to come to a stop on a slight hill and were not able to resume moving.

I heard about the accident on the CB from people saying they'd never seen anything like it. I spent the night parked behind a Wal Mart in a no parking area. I didn't care, I was off the road. Nobody bothered me. I was in the company of at least a dozen trucks in the same predicament.

I'm so glad you were safe. That sounds horrible.

We get ice here a lot. I get frustrated with people in 4 wheel drives who think that they can drive on ice. A 4 wheel drive is useless on ice.

There is nothing that will give a vehicle traction on ice. Just have to go slow, don't hit the break hard and keep going because if you stop, sometimes you can't start again. LOL.
I have four wheel drive and I am constantly passed by idiots in sedans with far less traction.
It's not the vehicle, but the idiot behind the wheel.

My favorite is when I see the moron in the ditch a few miles down the road.

I have had several 4 wheel drive vehicles. One of them was a Subaru sedan.

I don't know about where you live, but here, four wheel drive is very necessary. It's great in snow. I could get right through snow. No problem.

Ice is a totally different thing. There's nothing to get traction. We get the ever so much fun compact snow and ice. It's got the ice with snow compacted on top of it. So you you have to do what we call the "slippery" test. LOL.

Yes the stupid people in sedans who think that just because they have a front engine car that they can just plow right through. Those idiots learn fast as they dig themselves out of ditches.
I live north of Twin Cities. Both are vehicles are Jeeps. I also tow a snowmobile trailer so a 4x4 is a must. I hate when people cut too close in front of me when I have the weight of a trailer.
I am cautious when behind the wheel of my Jeep, but the snowmobiles are when I get my need for speed.

Forum List

Back