Watergate 40 years later

I watched that show, too, and you are wrong. As they pointed out, if Watergate happened today, it would be blogged in real time. There'd be umpteen Tweets a day about it. HuffPo would be all over it. Maddow. MSNBC. Nixon wouldn't know what hit him.

And there is the real problem. We are I the opposite position today where leaders of this country have to be to clean that they virtually don’t exist.

Where Watergate was an example of what people cared about before because of the need for actual reporting to get any news across, now Rubio’s ‘watergate’ is the new scandal because it can be tweeted about in 2 lines. It is rather sad what we allow to pass for political ‘news’ these days. Any candidates that might have actually been good at the job they are applying for are already cut out because at some point in their past they made one misstatement and are now unelectable. An actual scandal would be unprecedented.

People cared about Watergate because the media had a stake in it. There were a hundred scandals far more important than a 3rd rate burglary during the Clinton administration but the people didn't care because the media didn't care. What could be more juicy than a high ranking member of the administration who may have had a relationship with the 1st lady found dead in an obscure D.C. park without his car keys? The media wasn't interested. The same goes for the Fast/Furious coverup and the Benghazi debacle. If the media isn't outraged the people aren't.

I think that you have this backwards though Whitehall. I see this all the time. The ‘media’ is constantly thrown the blame for what is reported when all the media does is offer a product. That product must be consumed. If they were to report things that no one want to hear then the conglomerate would go out of business. If they were to only report what they wanted to and the news station on the next channel reported what people wanted to hear, they would go out of business. Essentially, you are stating that people cared BECAUSE the media did and I think that is wrong. IMHO, the media cares BECAUSE the people do.

It is a case of providing what people want.

Forum List

Back