We do not live in a police state

We do not live in a police state
No, far from it. When I think of police state, Iran, Venezuela, and especially N.Korea come to mind.

Number of cops per 100,000 people

USA 256
Iran 80

I'm kidding around, I'm pretty sure North Korea is perfect an example of a police state as can be shown. I'm not so sure about Iran or Venuzela. Iran is certainly authoritarian but it's open to tourists, people are friendly and on the whole happy and whilct the governemnt is stupid, corrupt and run by morons the incidents of actual police opression on the people are a lot more limited than the press would have you believe. Venuzela on the other hand is a democratically governed and free country with the lowest gas prices of anywhere in the world.
I tend to disagree in regards to Venezuela. Chavez was a dictator, and it appears that Maduro is following in his footsteps. If you openly oppose the government there, you'll face serious consequences. Many have gone missing.

Venezuela: Several shot dead in anti-government street protests

At least three people have been shot dead during anti-government protests in Venezuela.

Both sides are blaming each other for the killings while social media reports allege government backed armed groups were responsible.

The protesters are angry with President Nicolas Maduro’s failure to control inflation, crime and a lack of opportunities for the country’s young.

The marches took place on Venezuela’s National Youth Day.

One protester explained why he was there: “Venezuela is waking up, we’ve had enough of so much insecurity and repression on the part of the state’s public authorities and we are tired and showing it.”

Venezuela: Several shot dead in anti-government street protests | euronews, world news

No, far from it. When I think of police state, Iran, Venezuela, and especially N.Korea come to mind.

USA 256
Iran 80

I'm kidding around, I'm pretty sure North Korea is perfect an example of a police state as can be shown. I'm not so sure about Iran or Venuzela. Iran is certainly authoritarian but it's open to tourists, people are friendly and on the whole happy and whilct the governemnt is stupid, corrupt and run by morons the incidents of actual police opression on the people are a lot more limited than the press would have you believe. Venuzela on the other hand is a democratically governed and free country with the lowest gas prices of anywhere in the world.
I tend to disagree in regards to Venezuela. Chavez was a dictator, and it appears that Maduro is following in his footsteps. If you openly oppose the government there, you'll face serious consequences. Many have gone missing.

At least three people have been shot dead during anti-government protests in Venezuela.

Both sides are blaming each other for the killings while social media reports allege government backed armed groups were responsible.

The protesters are angry with President Nicolas Maduro’s failure to control inflation, crime and a lack of opportunities for the country’s young.

One protester explained why he was there: “Venezuela is waking up, we’ve had enough of so much insecurity and repression on the part of the state’s public authorities and we are tired and showing it.”

Venezuela: Several shot dead in anti-government street protests | euronews, world news

You mean like Jackson state in 70 or Bloody sunday in 72 or . Does that mean that the free world in the 70s was a police state? No, I'm not saying that Venezuela is perfect, no country is but I'd have gone for Cuba or Vietnam or even China if I wanted to have a pop at a communist nation for being a police state as Venuzela has an opposition party that gets 40 something % of the vote. And I've visted all 3 of those countries and found them to be great places to go even if you have to watch your step round the local law enforcement.

Last edited:

USA 256
Iran 80

And we have the highest incarceration RATE of any country in the world except maybe North Korea.

You people are asleep, snoring in a normalcy bias, and when you wake up it will be too late.

I think that you sir are an ideological extremist, so it's quite uncomfortable to say that you have a brilliant point right there.

Well thanks for the back-handed complement, I suppose, but extremism in the defense of our rights and liberties is not a BAD thing at all, mein herr.

USA 256
Iran 80

You mean like Jackson state in 70 or Bloody sunday in 72 or . Does that mean that the free world in the 70s was a police state? No, I'm not saying that Venezuela is perfect, no country is but I'd have gone for Cuba or Vietnam or even China if I wanted to have a pop at a communist nation for being a police state as Venuzela has an opposition party that gets 40 something % of the vote. And I've visted all 3 of those countries and found them to be great places to go even if you have to watch your step round the local law enforcement.

Your acclimation to government thuggery is hardly commendable, mein herr.

Correct. The vast majority of police officers in the US do their jobs well. As for every job, you will have bad apples in every batch, albeit a very small minority.

Generally you are correct,but the meter is moving a bit at a time in the direction it shouldn't be. Police look like the new skin heads these days.

Where's the evidence for this?

I don't have any at all.

Courthouse News Service

The good part is that this never happens in Canada.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJtah2s7NeY"]Dr. Simona Tibu beaten up and sexually assaulted by police in Alberta[/ame]

Last edited:
Where's the evidence for this?

Look use your eyes and ears,news reports,our local small town sheriffs now have APC's for what??

Boiling the frog!!!!????

You are aware that the job of the news is not to keep us informed to find the most sensational story possible in order to grab our attentions so we notice the advertisments in the breaks aren't you? I'm not going to draw any conclusions from the onformation I get from news stories because it is NEVER reflective of trends and ALWAYS about individual incidents.

It's like crime statistics, they have been on the way down in general terms since the late 80s yet you ask any old folks and they'll tell with total certainty that things are worse than they ever were. They aren't but people always believe that things are getting worse.

You say use my eyes and ears but I know that it is part of the human condition that your eyes and ears lie.

USA 256
Iran 80

And we have the highest incarceration RATE of any country in the world except maybe North Korea.

You people are asleep, snoring in a normalcy bias, and when you wake up it will be too late.

I think that you sir are an ideological extremist, so it's quite uncomfortable to say that you have a brilliant point right there.

It isn't like cops ever lie about what happened.

New York cop who pulled gun during snowball fight contradicts himself in court

Forum List

Back