🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

We have a mass shooting problem. What are repubs going to do about it?

It used to be that a citizen could petition a court to have someone committed to a mental institution, and the court could grant such committment if enough valid evidence was presented.

This changed in the 1960s and 70s.

In 1967 two Democrats and a Republican in California's state legislature came up with the Lanterman-Petris-Short Act, designed to end INVOLUNTARY commitments of mentallly ill, alcoholic, etc. people into large mental institutions. The LPS Act was hailed by liberals all over the country as putting an end to eeevil government practices of dictating to helpless victims where they would go and what treatments they would get whether they liked it or not. It was overwhelmingly passed by California's Assembly and Senate, and finally signed by Governor Ronald Reagan in 1967. Similar laws were quickly passed all over the country, advocated mostly by liberal groups and do-gooders.

The liberal ACLU kept pushing this agenda to get these patients out of mental institutions, and finally resulted in 1975 (coincidentally Reagans' last year as Governor) in the U.S. Supreme Court handing down a decision in O'Connor vs. Donaldson (422 US 563). This Court decision announced a new Constitutional right: The mentally ill could not be forced to stay in such institutions if they were not an actual threat to others. This opened the floodgates and let huge numbers of patients, in various degrees of helplessness, out of the institutions.

When it was discovered that these laws and court decisions had the effect of putting many people who could not, in fact, take care of themselves out on the street, the liberals did a fast 180, hastily forgot about their long, enthusiastic nationwide advocacy and support of the agenda, and invented a completely new accusation: That it was Ronald Reagan alone who had "kicked all those poor people out of their nice, safe hospitals and made them homeless".

From Wikipedia:

The Lanterman–Petris–Short (LPS) Act (Cal. Welf & Inst. Code, sec. 5000 et seq.) concerns the involuntary civil commitment to a mental health institution in the State of California. The act set the precedent for modern mental health commitment procedures in the United States. It was co-authored by California State Assemblyman Frank Lanterman (R) and California State Senators Nicholas C. Petris (D) and Alan Short (D), and signed into law in 1967 by Governor Ronald Reagan. The Act went into full effect on July 1, 1972. It cited seven articles of intent:

•To end the inappropriate, indefinite, and involuntary commitment of mentally disordered persons, people with developmental disabilities, and persons impaired by chronic alcoholism, and to eliminate legal disabilities;

•To provide prompt evaluation and treatment of persons with serious mental disorders or impaired by chronic alcoholism;

•To guarantee and protect public safety;

•To safeguard individual rights through judicial review;

•To provide individualized treatment, supervision, and placement services by a conservatorship program for gravely disabled persons;

•To encourage the full use of all existing agencies, professional personnel and public funds to accomplish these objectives and to prevent duplication of services and unnecessary expenditures;

•To protect mentally disordered persons and developmentally disabled persons from criminal acts.

The Act in effect ended all hospital commitments by the judiciary system, except in the case of criminal sentencing, e.g., convicted sexual offenders, and those who were "gravely disabled", defined as unable to obtain food, clothing, or housing [Conservatorship of Susan T., 8 Cal. 4th 1005 (1994)]. It did not, however, impede the right of voluntary commitments. It expanded the evaluative power of psychiatrists and created provisions and criteria for holds.

Republicans control congress, what are they going to do about our mass shooting problem?

We have a Muslim problem. It's time to stop importing more of the problem.

Didn't the repubs already stop that? The vast majority of our mass shootings aren't Muslim. Repubs control congress, what are they going to do about it?

Why nothing. Just like the Dems would do.

There is nothing you can do about people with the mindset to pick up a weapon and use it.

There are more than enough laws on the books pertaining to guns and gun purchase.

Unless of course an idiot like you would like the 2nd Amendment to disappear and remove all guns from Americans. Of course that would make us just like an unarmed Europe.

Doubt that would happen but a fool like you can always hope.

Oh? And what have I said that makes me a fool? All I did was ask a question. If nothing is the answer that is fine.

You mean you don't want to disarm Americans and remove the 2nd Amendment??

Why do Republicasn block legislation to keep terrorists from buying guns?
Why do they block all studies of gun violence?
Three such studies were done recently (and not "blocked"). Two by the Clinton administration, and one by the Obama administration.

All three found that guns were used far more often to prevent crimes, than to cause them.

Republicans aren't blocking the studies.

Liberal fanatics such as yourself are desperately avoiding talking about the results of those studies.

We don't blame you. Something that proves you wrong and completely refutes your agenda must be very painful. We're not surprised you run away and hide, every time they are brought up.

Repubs want to tighten up immigration laws.

If the USA had followed and surveyed this guy when he came back from Saudi Arabia with a new Muslim wife, but no the Dem's would be totally against this in congress.

Like I mentioned yesterday, hire more people to run background checks. Currently, after three days if the feds don't get back to you, you get your gun no matter if you have a record or not. One of the recent mass shooters was able to buy weapons because of that. Also, gun shows.

and again, until NYC stops infringing on my rights, not one step fucking back.

FYI, do we know if this idiot would have failed a background check or not?
No idea. You could add "traveled to middle eastern country within the last three years" to the list of disqualifying things.

There is this little thing called "due process" that has to be followed when removing the rights from a person.
How about we remove their voting rights, their trial by jury rights, and their 4th amendment rights at the same time?
Isn't it a choice to travel to a middle eastern country?

Why should you have to give up your RKBA or any other right because you travel somewhere?
If it's true that Muslims tend to be mass shooters in the USA (which I don't believe), then the compelling reason exists.

Republicans control congress, what are they going to do about our mass shooting problem?

Didn't the repubs already stop that? The vast majority of our mass shootings aren't Muslim. Repubs control congress, what are they going to do about it?

There is nothing you can do about people with the mindset to pick up a weapon and use it.

There are more than enough laws on the books pertaining to guns and gun purchase.

Unless of course an idiot like you would like the 2nd Amendment to disappear and remove all guns from Americans. Of course that would make us just like an unarmed Europe.

Oh? And what have I said that makes me a fool? All I did was ask a question. If nothing is the answer that is fine.

I want to know what, if anything republicans are going to do. I am an independent and have not suggested anything on this thread.

If the USA had followed and surveyed this guy when he came back from Saudi Arabia with a new Muslim wife, but no the Dem's would be totally against this in congress.

They control congress, what have they proposed?

I want to know what, if anything republicans are going to do. I am an independent and have not suggested anything on this thread.

I'm an independent as well and neither the Reps or the Dems are going to do anything other than what's been done.

There are more than enough laws on the books pertaining to guns and the purchase of guns.

Unless you want to kill every weapon, the person holding the gun, the tool, then nothing will ever be done.

What should they do about freedom, exactly?

That doesn't answer the question. Is your answer Nothing then?
Who knows what they will ATTEMPT to do, since they seem to be afraid of their own shadows. What will actually get DONE, however, is up to both a Republican legislature, which has neither a veto nor filibuster proof majority, AND a democrat president who has shown himself to be completely unable to step outside his rigid ideology and compromise to pass effective legislation. IOW, there will a lot of shouting and finger pointing, and maybe the loss of more freedoms, none of which will stop the next shooter. The best we can hope for is for more concealed carry permit holders.

We have more permit holders and the problem is getting worse...
Only if the permit holders are the ones doing the killing. Can you show that they are?

I'm an independent as well and neither the Reps or the Dems are going to do anything other than what's been done.

There are more than enough laws on the books pertaining to guns and the purchase of guns.

Unless you want to kill every weapon, the person holding the gun, the tool, then nothing will ever be done.

If I were to bet I would also put my money on nothing will be done.

Where have you been?
House passes bill to block Syrian refugees, require more vetting
The House passed a bill Thursday to halt the admission of Syrian refugees into the U.S. until they undergo a more stringent vetting process — the strictest ever required for people fleeing a war-torn nation.

Who knows what they will ATTEMPT to do, since they seem to be afraid of their own shadows. What will actually get DONE, however, is up to both a Republican legislature, which has neither a veto nor filibuster proof majority, AND a democrat president who has shown himself to be completely unable to step outside his rigid ideology and compromise to pass effective legislation. IOW, there will a lot of shouting and finger pointing, and maybe the loss of more freedoms, none of which will stop the next shooter. The best we can hope for is for more concealed carry permit holders.

Only if the permit holders are the ones doing the killing. Can you show that they are?

Huh? We have more permit holders and more mass shootings. I didn't say it was holders doing the shooting, but it doesn't seem to be slowing them either.

Where have you been?
The House passed a bill Thursday to halt the admission of Syrian refugees into the U.S. until they undergo a more stringent vetting process — the strictest ever required for people fleeing a war-torn nation.

Ok how many Syrian refugees have committed mass shootings in the US?

Where have you been?

Ok how many Syrian refugees have committed mass shootings in the US?

Syrians are Muslims, are the not?? And last I heard the Muslim terrorists have been killing people all over the world.

Guess you are willing to take the chance that some of the Syrian "refugees" aren't terrorists looking to get into the USA.

I'm not.

Huh? We have more permit holders and more mass shootings. I didn't say it was holders doing the shooting, but it doesn't seem to be slowing them either.
When there are more permit holders in the victim group, fewer people die, because there is someone with the means to stop the killing. Clearly, gun free zones are not the answer.

and again, until NYC stops infringing on my rights, not one step fucking back.

FYI, do we know if this idiot would have failed a background check or not?
No idea. You could add "traveled to middle eastern country within the last three years" to the list of disqualifying things.

There is this little thing called "due process" that has to be followed when removing the rights from a person.
How about we remove their voting rights, their trial by jury rights, and their 4th amendment rights at the same time?
Isn't it a choice to travel to a middle eastern country?

Why should you have to give up your RKBA or any other right because you travel somewhere?
If it's true that Muslims tend to be mass shooters in the USA (which I don't believe), then the compelling reason exists.

Not even close to a compelling reason. This shooting (if it turns out this guy and gal were part of a cell) is a reason for more intelligence work, not to deny firearm rights "just because".

Ban all Democrats and Muslims from owning guns.

Now name one proposal offered by Obama or Hillary that would have prevented yesterday.

Forum List

Back