we have over 2 million Americans that can do jobs that illegals do !!

yep and they are sitting in prison ! why not allow them to work the fields and do the manual labor that the youth in our country have become to spoiled and weak to do ?? many inmates would much rather work for min wage picking fruit ,and other agricultural ,and manual labor in the sun and fresh air than sit in a cage 24/7 .... and most of their money could be put into a savings account for them until they are released ....many would leave jail with work experience [for many it may be the 1st job they ever had ] and work ethics ...plus a nice little bank roll to help get them on their feet once free .

Consider the logistics. Are you going to relocate prisons to farmland areas? And consider the manpower necessary to oversee a farm full of convicts? Its one thing for a few guards to watch a chain gang, but a tomato farm and lettuce farm filled with cons?

To difficult, costly, and risky.
But for prisons already in farm country, and prisoners who are eligible, it could be worth looking at. Probably it's already being done.

yep and they are sitting in prison ! why not allow them to work the fields and do the manual labor that the youth in our country have become to spoiled and weak to do ?? many inmates would much rather work for min wage picking fruit ,and other agricultural ,and manual labor in the sun and fresh air than sit in a cage 24/7 .... and most of their money could be put into a savings account for them until they are released ....many would leave jail with work experience [for many it may be the 1st job they ever had ] and work ethics ...plus a nice little bank roll to help get them on their feet once free .

Consider the logistics. Are you going to relocate prisons to farmland areas? And consider the manpower necessary to oversee a farm full of convicts? Its one thing for a few guards to watch a chain gang, but a tomato farm and lettuce farm filled with cons?

But for prisons already in farm country, and prisoners who are eligible, it could be worth looking at. Probably it's already being done.

Convicts cannot legally be forced to work. What happens is that most prisons give day-for-day "good time" to those who are eligible to work and choose to work. But almost all of those jobs are inside prison walls, things like PIA (Prison Industry Authority) that have their OWN farms for prison food, and they make furniture for government offices, and yes, even license plates, and other stuff. Then there's the kitchen workers and cooks and stuff like that, office clerks, porters, janitorial, etc. etc. There are a tiny percentage who do get regular jobs on the outside when they are close to their parole date to give them a sort of head start.

But this here? This will never happen for a whole host of reasons.

Militia service should be an option, especially in the summer.

You can't let them have money in prison, that would be a very foolish thing to do.
they would not get the money until they have served their time ...... the money would be direct deposited into a savings account .
Of course it is. They are allowed a certain percentage "spending money" per month. Most of it goes to paying court fines, restitution, room and board or is deposited and given to them when they leave.
They would be more valuable and disciplined as ordinary militia in the process of becoming, able militia.

Convicts cannot legally be forced to work. What happens is that most prisons give day-for-day "good time" to those who are eligible to work and choose to work. But almost all of those jobs are inside prison walls, things like PIA (Prison Industry Authority) that have their OWN farms for prison food, and they make furniture for government offices, and yes, even license plates, and other stuff. Then there's the kitchen workers and cooks and stuff like that, office clerks, porters, janitorial, etc. etc. There are a tiny percentage who do get regular jobs on the outside when they are close to their parole date to give them a sort of head start.

But this here? This will never happen for a whole host of reasons.
You just described things the way they are done now (pretty similar to how they're done here) but there is no reason not to expand on it if the country needs the workers. It could be done and could alleviate the shortage of agricultural workers that I see coming if Trump keeps deporting folks and tightening up on the jumpers.

Whoah! All of a sudden OldLady worked at a prison in damn near Canuckistan! :eek:

:aargh:
mindblow.gif

Whoah! All of a sudden OldLady worked at a prison in damn near Canuckistan! :eek:

:aargh:
Where you been? That isn't any secret.
Yeah, well, I be they don't have a "clear the swamp" crew like here. :funnyface:
If I'm interpreting your comment correctly, no, that place was run by a bunch of militia goofballs ready to spring into action and defend their country from the woods surrounding their homes.

Yeah..you're reading that all kinds of wrong. :uhh:

Clearing the swamp is exactly what that crew does. Cutting vegetation in 3 feet of water and whatnot.

They are in jail for the most part, because they are criminals who may not belong in society. The ones that are appropriate, are housed at work release centers. It’s not always easy to solve problems. A lot of prisoners don’t have work histories, and are perfectly satisfied sitting on their asses inside. A lot also have substance abuse issues, and need to detox and also attend treatment inside. In some institutions, they are employed on computer terminals fielding phone calls to buy products and services, and booking vacations for people. That’s why I don’t buy anything over the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked at a prison that did just that and the guys fought for those jobs. It was a great idea. We're not an agricultural area, but what jobs were available here, the guys jumped at. And it DID give them a little something to fall back on when they got released, plus they got their fines paid off and the state got a percentage for room and board, so everyone was happy.
It works. The thing is, you can't offer the opportunity for inmates to go into the community willy nilly. No sex offenders, for one thing. No inmates with violent convictions or history of 'running.' Only minimum security guys can do that. It requires a lot of staff time, because they have to be carefully supervised and they have to be transported. There was a big uptick in smuggling into the prison (drugs, cigs, a little of everything) by guys out on jobs.
So it's a bit more work than it might seem, but all in all I agree with you it's a good idea. Just put all the prisons in agricultural areas and offer to pay minimum wage--no problems getting those crops picked.
I vehemently disagree with ANY use of prison labor in a commercial manner. I am all for prison labor but they should sell products directly and use that profit for prison costs or such labor should be directly linked to governmental needs (like taking care of local roads). Hell, there is no reason that most prisons cannot grow most of its own food it needs to consume.

There is an issue allowing prisoners who have had their rights removed working for a for profit business that should not be circumventing human rights.

I worked at a prison that did just that and the guys fought for those jobs. It was a great idea. We're not an agricultural area, but what jobs were available here, the guys jumped at. And it DID give them a little something to fall back on when they got released, plus they got their fines paid off and the state got a percentage for room and board, so everyone was happy.
It works. The thing is, you can't offer the opportunity for inmates to go into the community willy nilly. No sex offenders, for one thing. No inmates with violent convictions or history of 'running.' Only minimum security guys can do that. It requires a lot of staff time, because they have to be carefully supervised and they have to be transported. There was a big uptick in smuggling into the prison (drugs, cigs, a little of everything) by guys out on jobs.
So it's a bit more work than it might seem, but all in all I agree with you it's a good idea. Just put all the prisons in agricultural areas and offer to pay minimum wage--no problems getting those crops picked.
I vehemently disagree with ANY use of prison labor in a commercial manner. I am all for prison labor but they should sell products directly and use that profit for prison costs or such labor should be directly linked to governmental needs (like taking care of local roads). Hell, there is no reason that most prisons cannot grow most of its own food it needs to consume.

There is an issue allowing prisoners who have had their rights removed working for a for profit business that should not be circumventing human rights.
it is not about ethics or morals for the right wing under our form of Capitalism.

it is not about ethics or morals for the right wing under our form of Capitalism.
Honestly it is not about those for me either. It is about the entire purpose of government - to protect and secure our natural rights. NO ONE outside the government within the limitations that we have placed on them should be infringing on the rights of the people. We have enough problems trying to keep the government in check in regards to rights.

Honestly it is not about those for me either. It is about the entire purpose of government - to protect and secure our natural rights. NO ONE outside the government within the limitations that we have placed on them should be infringing on the rights of the people. We have enough problems trying to keep the government in check in regards to rights.
...does it merely require ethics or morals to faithfully execute our supreme law of the land?

Yes let's take inmates out to the open fields and give them tools that can be used as weapons. What could possibly go wrong...

We do that now. Not just any old inmate but many inmates have access to tools.

Maine%20State%20Prison%20Photo%203.JPG

wooden-ship.jpg

A few of the things the maximum security inmates at the Maine State Prison make with their sharp tools.
Great store, btw, well made furniture and what have you, if you're ever in Thomaston.
There was a radio host who believed that we could remove some prisons from the system and convert them to forced rehabs for drug sentenced inmates. They would do time but would have a full plate of rehabilitation and courses designed to help them recover for life outside of incarceration. One issue is the mixture of convicts that are not hardened criminals with those who are. How many opportunities someone gets I do not know. There would probably be recidivism. Drug use is reality. The big dealers don't do time. But the small time user and the small time dealer do.

Forum List

Back