Western Theme Songs

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
I think this was mainly a 50s and 60s thing. Some decent movies shackled by overblown and pompous theme tunes. I was watching "Alvarez Kelly" yesterday and its a good movie if not a great one. Widmark and Holden work well together and it passes along very nicely. But the theme tune is crap.

Its basic set up is a male group singing about how Kelly, a Mexican national played by Holden, is a great guy.

Sample line

Alvarez Kelly
The I,I,I Irish Senor

Its so bad its actually good.

Can you nominate any others for this important research ?

I think this was mainly a 50s and 60s thing. Some decent movies shackled by overblown and pompous theme tunes. I was watching "Alvarez Kelly" yesterday and its a good movie if not a great one. Widmark and Holden work well together and it passes along very nicely. But the theme tune is crap.

Its basic set up is a male group singing about how Kelly, a Mexican national played by Holden, is a great guy.

Sample line

Alvarez Kelly
The I,I,I Irish Senor

Tommy, do you actually sit through these films? I didn't even make it to the half way point of the intro...I have always been of the opinion that westerns and music are the "oil and vinegar" of the movie industry, they just do not mix well yet folks still enjoy them together.

Sample line

Alvarez Kelly
The I,I,I Irish Senor

Tommy, do you actually sit through these films? I didn't even make it to the half way point of the intro...I have always been of the opinion that westerns and music are the "oil and vinegar" of the movie industry, they just do not mix well yet folks still enjoy them together.

Yup, seen it twice in the last few weeks. Its well worth a watch Frank. But this is the point I am making. the films are fine but the music is so bad it atarts being good.

This is another one just as bad. The film is great in my opinion but the theme song is criminal.

Sample line

Alvarez Kelly
The I,I,I Irish Senor

Yup, seen it twice in the last few weeks. Its well worth a watch Frank. But this is the point I am making. the films are fine but the music is so bad it atarts being good.

This is another one just as bad. The film is great in my opinion but the theme song is criminal.

Ya know what I think it is, we [America] are so rife and overrun with westerns that we no longer even here the music in those films...I have tried numerous times to watch Oklahoma the movie but it is just too tough for me because of the music...try gene autry movies tommy, I don't know that that is what you're looking for but he fits your request and genre as he was known as "the singing cowboy"...I'll give it a think and see if I can find anything else for ya.

Forum List

Back