What are you listening to?

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

You Tube being amazing, they have all of Bartók's String Quartet's uploaded.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

The whole Imarhan album is completely astonishing.

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Dwight Pullen "Sunglasses After Dark" released on 7" in 1958 on Carlton Records....the B Side is "Teen Age Bug"

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Dwight Pullen "Sunglasses After Dark" released on 7" in 1958 on Carlton Records....the B Side is "Teen Age Bug"

And there are Sunglasses at Night! Lol! Crappy song though.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Christian Wolff "Summer (For String Quartet)" composed in 1961.

Recorded and performed by Societa Cameristica Italiana String Quartet.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Robert Schumann "Op. 41, no. 3 in A major" (Second Movement: Assai agitato)

Composed in 1842 "Op. 41, Three String Quartets in A minor, F and A major", it's absolutely sumptuous and divine.

This is performed by The Manfred Quartet.

As well as being a prolific composer of the Romantic Era, Schumann was also a well-known music critic. The majority of his writings appeared in Die Neue Zeitschrift für Musik - The New Journal of Music - which he founded in 1834 and published by Schott Musik of Mainz, Schott still publish Die Neue Zeitschrift für Musik to this day.

Schott Musik is the oldest music publishing house in Europa, and the second oldest music publishing house in the world.

I've written articles and also written reviews for Die Neue Zeitschrift für Musik in my capacity as a Freelance.

Here is it's website:

journal

home

"In 1834 the Neue Zeitschrift für Musik was founded by Robert Schumann. Since then, this magazine has dealt with the contemporary trends in music - issue by issue. Meanwhile the Neue Zeitschrift für Musik is read in over 40 countries all around the world.

Each issue deals with a special subject from the wide range of New Music: detailed and from many different points of view. Thus the issues are indispensable sources of information on major currents of the present even after years.

The Neue Zeitschrift für Musik is crossing borders: New Music is seen in relation to classical music, jazz, rock and independent. Furthermore the sections Weltmusik, Klangmomente, Crossover and Porträt present important phenomena in each issue - regardless of the main subject."

Edited to add comment.

Last edited:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Die Monitr Batss "Spread Yr Legs, Release The Bats" from their album "Youth Controllers" released in 2003 on Dim Mak Records.

Die Monitr Batss are from Olympia, Washington State.

The late, great Warren Zevon...Carmelita

I hear Mariachi static on my radio
And the tubes they glow in the dark
And I'm there with her in Ensenada
And I'm here in Echo Park

Carmelita hold me tighter
I think I'm sinking down
And I'm all strung out on heroin
On the outskirts of town

Well, I'm sittin' here playing solitaire
With my pearl-handled deck
The county won't give me no more methadone
They cut off your welfare check...

I think I'm sinking down
On the outskirts of town

So, it's only taken like 26 pages for you to finally decide to post something in this thread....:smoke:

I think I'm sinking down
On the outskirts of town

So, it's only taken like 26 pages for you to finally decide to post something in this thread....:smoke:

The music threads have always been my favorites but I usually post in the Juke Box, in honor of my dear friend Intense (an admin who is no longer here) - he introduced me to much fine music :)

I think I'm sinking down
On the outskirts of town

The music threads have always been my favorites but I usually post in the Juke Box, in honor of my dear friend Intense (an admin who is no longer here) - he introduced me to much fine music :)

That's the thread that's something like 2,000 pages long. It's good to see you also in this thread now :smile:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

The Bălănescu Quartet "Aria" from their album "Maria T" released in 2005 on Mute Records.

It's impossibly beautiful stuff.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Bearsuit "Hey Charlie, Hey Chuck" released on 7" in 2001 on Sickroom Gramophonic Collective Records....the B Sides are "Hovercar" and "Fears Of Moonpilot Ben"

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Slint "Good Morning, Captain" from their album "Spiderland" released in 1991 on Touch and Go Records.

Along with Squirrel Bait, Slint the greatest band to come from Louisville, Kentucky.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

MC5 "I Want You Right Now" from their album "Kick Out The Jams" released in 1969 on Elektra Records.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Spacemen 3 "Revolution" from their album "Playing With Fire" released in 1989 on Fire Records.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Gossip "Standing In The Way Of Control" released on 7" in 2006 on Kill Rock Star Records....the B Side is "Sick With It"

They refer to the band as The Gossip below, it's actually Gossip.

Forum List

Back