What are you listening to?

I thought I'd post another of my favourite Classical pieces, I haven't posted one for several weeks.

Jean Sibelius "Preludium: Andante (ma non troppo)" from his "Finlandia, Op. 26" tone poem, written in 1899 and revised in 1900.

Probably the greatest morning greeting ever. The only time I regularly got up very early they played this song at the services I went to, even though there was almost always only one other person there.

I thought I'd post another of my favourite Classical pieces, I haven't posted one for several weeks.

Jean Sibelius "Preludium: Andante (ma non troppo)" from his "Finlandia, Op. 26" tone poem, written in 1899 and revised in 1900.

Probably the greatest morning greeting ever. The only time I regularly got up very early they played this song at the services I went to, even though there was almost always only one other person there.

Yes it's amazingly wonderful, I'm glad you agree, it's very much music of the soul, from the soul and to the soul.

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

You Tube being amazing, they have all of Bartók's String Quartet's uploaded.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

The whole Imarhan album is completely astonishing.

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Echo & The Bunnymen "Heads Will Roll" released on 7" in 1983 as the B Side to "Never Stop" on Korova Records...."Heads Will Roll" also appears on their third album "Porcupine" also released in 1983 on Korova Records.

The Bunnymen had a very great drummer Pete de Freitas, he was killed at the age of 27 in 1989 in a motorcycle accident. I think they musically and creatively went a bit downhill post-Pete de Freitas....for their first five albums he was with them, until his death - "Crocodiles" in 1980 to "Echo & The Bunnymen" in 1987 - it's all very brilliant stuff.

Pete de Freitas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Gene Vincent & His Blue Caps "Race With The Devil" released on 7" in 1956 on Capitol Records....the B Side is "Gonna Back Up Baby"

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

The Temptations "Get Ready" released on 7" in 1966 on Gordy Records....the B Side is "Fading Away"

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

The Temptations "Get Ready" released on 7" in 1966 on Gordy Records....the B Side is "Fading Away"

I love that song! :eusa_dance:

I also like this old song.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

I love that song! :eusa_dance:

I also like this old song.

Oh yes The Ronettes, great stuff, you can't have enough of 1960s Girl Groups!

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Elliott Smith "Pictures Of Me" from his album "Either/Or" released in 1997 on Kill Rock Star Records.

The title of the album "Either/Or" (in English) derives from the book of the same name "Enten-Eller" from the Danish philosopher Søren Kierkegaard, first published in 1843 under the pseudonym Victor Eremita, which is Latin for Victorious Hermit.

"Enten-Eller" received it's first translation into English in 1944.

It's a brilliant book that I recommend, here's a link:

Either/Or

"Either/Or is the earliest of the major works of Søren Kierkegaard, one of the most startlingly original thinkers and writers of the nineteenth century, and the first which he wrote under a pseudonym, as he would for his greatest philosophical writings. Adopting the viewpoints of two distinct figures with radically different beliefs--the aesthetic young man of Part One, called simply 'A', and the ethical Judge Vilhelm of the second section--Kierkegaard reflects upon the search for a meaningful existence, contemplating subjects as diverse as Mozart, drama, boredom, and, in the famous Seducer's Diary, the cynical seduction and ultimate rejection of a young, beautiful woman. A masterpiece of duality, Either/Or is an exploration of the conflict between the aesthetic and the ethical--both meditating ironically and seductively upon Epicurean pleasures, and eloquently expounding the noble virtues of a morally upstanding life."

Edited to add comment.

Last edited:

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:"

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Imarhan "Imarhan" from the album "Imarhan" released on City Slang Records on April 29th, 2016.

Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of ours in Berlin:

City Slang Records

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Jimmy Reed "Hush Hush" released on 7" in 1960 on Vee-Jay Records....the B Side is "Going To The River Part 2"

Jimmy Reed "Aw Shucks, Hush Your Mouth" released on 7" in 1962 on Vee-Jay Records....the B Side is "Baby, What's Wrong"

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Sonic Youth "Kissability" from their album "Daydream Nation" released in 1988 on Blast First Records.

Forum List

Back