What are you listening to?

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

You Tube being amazing, they have all of Bartók's String Quartet's uploaded.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

The whole Imarhan album is completely astonishing.

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

The Reverend Gary Davis "I Heard The Angels Singing" from the album "The Legendary Reverend Gary Davis, New Blues and Gospel" released in 1965 on Biograph Records.

This album was re-issued for the first time in 2011 on very heavy 180 gram vinyl on Sutro Park Records.

The Reverend Gary Davis, an amazing artiste, and very influential:

Reverend Gary Davis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

The Reverend A. W. Nix "The Black Diamond Express To Hell Part I and Part II" accompanied by his congregation and recorded on April 23rd, 1927.

The Reverend A. W. Nix recorded 54 sermons and Gospel songs in the 1920s and early 1930s, which at the time were released on 78 RPM on Vocalion Records, which from 1925-1930 was a subsidiary of Brunswick Records.

Stirring stuff:

"Sin is the engineer, Pleasure is the headlight, and the Devil is the conductor....the bell is ringing, 'Hell-bound, Hell-bound' and the Devil cries out, 'All aboard for Hell.'"

Part I:

Part II:

The 1927-1928 sermons were compiled into an album "Rev. A. W. Nix: Complete Recorded Works in Chronological Order (1927–1928)" released in 1995 on Document Records....I recommend this, it's ALL amazing stuff, it's mesmerising for it's passion and hysteria.

The Reverend A. W. Nix:

Reverend A. W. Nix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edited to add comment.

Last edited:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

The Reverend A. W. Nix "The Black Diamond Express To Hell Part I and Part II" accompanied by his congregation and recorded on April 23rd, 1927.

The Reverend A. W. Nix recorded 54 sermons and Gospel songs in the 1920s and early 1930s, which at the time were released on 78 RPM on Vocalion Records, which from 1925-1930 was a subsidiary of Brunswick Records.

Stirring stuff:

"Sin is the engineer, Pleasure is the headlight, and the Devil is the conductor....the bell is ringing, 'Hell-bound, Hell-bound' and the Devil cries out, 'All aboard for Hell.'"

Part I:

Part II:

The 1927-1928 sermons were compiled into an album "Rev. A. W. Nix: Complete Recorded Works in Chronological Order (1927–1928)" released in 1995 on Document Records....I recommend this, it's ALL amazing stuff, it's mesmerising for it's passion and hysteria.

The Reverend A. W. Nix:

Edited to add comment.

I have been listening to this for years and never knew its genesis. Imagine my surprise, thanks Lucy!

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Stirring stuff:

Part I:

Part II:

The Reverend A. W. Nix:

Edited to add comment.

I have been listening to this for years and never knew its genesis. Imagine my surprise, thanks Lucy!

Wow amazing huh? No problem :smile: Well, now you know it's genesis!

John Schooley is a one man band who records for Voodoo Rhythm Records.

And this is Bob Log III, another Voodoo Rhythm recorder and one man band extraordinaire.

Last edited:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Low "When You Walked Out On Me" from the album "The Shanti Project Collection" released in 2000 on Badman Recording Co.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Tyrannosaurus Rex "Suneye" from the album "T. Rex" released in 1970 on Fly Records.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Love "Alone Again Or" from their album "Forever Changes" released in 1967 on Elektra Records.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

I thought I'd post another of my favourite Classical pieces, I haven't posted one for several weeks.

Jean Sibelius "Preludium: Andante (ma non troppo)" from his "Finlandia, Op. 26" tone poem, written in 1899 and revised in 1900.

"Finlandia" is one of the great emotionally stirring pieces of music, majestic and sublime and dramatic.

The première of "Finlandia" was on 2nd July, 1900 in Helsinki with The Helsinki Philharmonic Society conducted by Robert Kajanus, who himself was Finland's most prominent composer pre-Jean Sibelius.

The film that accompanies this 9 minute and 36 seconds of "Preludium: Andante (ma non troppo)" is:

"Wild Scandinavia / Wildes Skandinavien".

Made in 2011 and directed by Oliver Goetzl with cinematography from Ivo Nörenberg, and features wonderful wild creatures in the Finnish wilderness, like the wild lynx, Goldeneye chicks, bears and wolves....precious creatures that we need to protect.

Forum List

Back