Zone1 What did Jesus mean by this?

All of the disciples were "Jews" in the religious sense. Paul was a Benjamite but called himself "a Jew of the Jews". James and John, the "sons of Zebedee" were likely Zebulunites as their name suggests.

Of course, there were 'spiritually lost' Jews among those Jesus preached to but his ministry was primarily to the poor remnants the so-called lost tribes of the Northern kingdom dwelling the region of "Galilee of the Gentiles".

Jesus was for the Jews while he was living during the old covenant, but when he died and established the new covenant, the people of God became all believers, not just the Jews.

If that were true there would be no Christian church. As it is Christians vastly outnumber Judaizers. Jesus built his church on faith, not on the "Law according to the Jews".

Jesus 'left Jewry because they wanted to kill him' (he left the whole "Jewish" thing) and began his ministry among the 'gentiles'* in Galilee.

*The lost sheep of the house of Israel, the remnants of the Northern kingdom.
There were no Christians when Jesus of Nazareth--Immanuel, God with Us--was in human form on Earth. And all the apostles he recruited to carry his message were Jews and it is pretty certain that most or all of his audiences were Jews.

But the Great Commission was obviously not targeted at Jews only but for all peoples of all nations. Speaking to the eleven disciples:

“And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, ‘All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age,’” (Matthew 28:18–20).

There were no Christians when Jesus of Nazareth--Immanuel, God with Us--was in human form on Earth. And all the apostles he recruited to carry his message were Jews and it is pretty certain that most or all of his audiences were Jews.

But the Great Commission was obviously not targeted at Jews only but for all peoples of all nations. Speaking to the eleven disciples:

“And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, ‘All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age,’” (Matthew 28:18–20).
Most of his audiences were Israelites, but not Jews.

The Bible calls them Jews, not Israelites. And the area was called Judea, Samaria, and Galilee, not Israel at the time.
The Assyrians left the poor of the Israelites in the land. They carried away only the leaders and notables. It was their descendants that "lay in the region" (of the long-gone Naphtali and Zebulun) that Jesus preached the gospel of the Kingdom to.

The Assyrians left the poor of the Israelites in the land. They carried away only the leaders and notables. It was their descendants that "lay in the region" (of the long-gone Naphtali and Zebulun) that Jesus preached the gospel of the Kingdom to.
The period of Jesus of Nazareth's time on Earth was more than 700 years after the Assyrians conquered Israel and the existing culture at the turn of the Century was pretty much unaffected by that earlier history.

Seven hundred years ago Columbus was petitioning Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand of Spain for funding to hunt for a new passage to India.

Seven hundred years ago. There were no people in the USA other than indigenous populations.

Seven hundred years ago the middle ages was ending and the period was better known as the Renaissance in Europe and the near East.

The Assyrians were unlikely even a consideration for the people of Judea at the time of Jesus of Nazareth's ministry on Earth and the Roman Empire had controlled the region for roughly 100 years.

Why not tell the entire story?

Matthew 15 New International Version

The Faith of a Canaanite Woman​

21 Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. 22 A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is demon-possessed and suffering terribly.”

23 Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, “Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us.”

24 He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.”

25 The woman came and knelt before him.“Lord, help me!” she said.

26 He replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.”

27 “Yes it is, Lord,” she said. “Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.”

28 Then Jesus said to her, “Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.” And her daughter was healed at that moment.
Exactly. It was a teaching moment for his disciples.

Matthew 15:

21 Then Jesus went thence, and departed into the coasts of Tyre and Sidon.

22 And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.

23 But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.

24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
You are missing the intent of that account. You are being distracted by something that has no bearing on that account. You must read the entire account. He was literally making a point by dismissing her plight. That is until it was time to make his point which is made at the end of that account.

I have something, you have nothing. :biggrin:
provided the claimed tablets by the liar moses etched in the heavens w/ 10 commandments ... used to persecute and victimize the innocent.

the religion of antiquity is spoken and is only 6 words in length - you have an empty 10000 pg document of forgeries and fallacies and an uninterpreted history of persecution and victimization of the innocent ...

I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

no, their heavenly mission from the beginning is the repudiation of judaism and its false claim of personifications of the heavens that never occurred.

the religion of antiquity is spoken and is only 6 words in length - you have an empty 10000 pg document of forgeries and fallacies and an uninterpreted history of persecution and victimization of the innocent ...

no, their heavenly mission from the beginning is the repudiation of judaism and its false claim of personifications of the heavens that never occurred.
You aren't making any sense.

Thanks to all for your answers. It gives me a good picture of how most understand this event. :)

You aren't making any sense.
provided the claimed tablets by the liar moses etched in the heavens w/ 10 commandments ...

are you trying to hide - where are your heavenly tablets etched w/ 10 commandments - surly no less to understand than the phony quote attributed to jesus that was never spoken.

what other document than a phony desert bible corroborates what you claim - something written by jesus himself.

Will you reveal the 'six spoken words' (and how they are authenticated)?

Will you reveal the 'six spoken words' (and how they are authenticated)?

the cataclysmic heavenly event, the parable of noah for those that failed to head the guidance granted a&e for the desired goal of remission to paradise through their own self determination as their request in the beginning.

- and no they were not jews. a&e. nor was jesus.

the cataclysmic heavenly event, the parable of noah for those that failed to head the guidance granted a&e for the desired goal of remission to paradise through their own self determination as their request in the beginning.

- and no they were not jews. a&e. nor was jesus.
Well, that makes perfect sense. o_O

are you trying to hide - where are your heavenly tablets etched w/ 10 commandments - surly no less to understand than the phony quote attributed to jesus that was never spoken.

what other document than a phony desert bible corroborates what you claim - something written by jesus himself.
Why are you trying so hard to destroy the faith of those who believe differently than you? By what authority do you claim to know what Jesus did or did not speak?

When you can answer that with intellectual honesty, you will be much more wise.

Why are you trying so hard to destroy the faith of those who believe differently than you? By what authority do you claim to know what Jesus did or did not speak?

When you can answer that with intellectual honesty, you will be much more wise.

moses the liar, personification of the heavens ... their claim of heavenly commandments etched in the heavens and given to him.

remove the heavenly reference made in the desert bibles and then believe as you wish.

- or provide the false etched stone tablets - that never existed ... as well remove the salacious contempt for a&e as to the true mission of self determination granted them by the heavens.

By what authority do you claim to know what Jesus did or did not speak?

jesus taught the true spoken religion of antiquity passed through the ages to this day - liberation theology, self determination the path for admission to the everlasting.

moses the liar, personification of the heavens ... their claim of heavenly commandments etched in the heavens and given to him.

remove the heavenly reference made in the desert bibles and then believe as you wish.

- or provide the false etched stone tablets - that never existed ... as well remove the salacious contempt for a&e as to the true mission of self determination granted them by the heavens.

jesus taught the true spoken religion of antiquity passed through the ages to this day - liberation theology, self determination the path for admission to the everlasting.
You need an editor, or an apologist. ;)

I'm sorry but I can only debate with those who make sense. Those who post in some sort of code inexplicable to the others are just rather. . .well. . .annoying?

Forum List

Back