What did our founders really mean when they said “general welfare”?

"General welfare" is in contrast to "individual welfare". Promoting the "General welfare" means policies that help the whole union- not things that only help particular segments or individuals.
uqBK80L.jpg

If you voted for Trump ...
Nope ...
I ask for your opinions on EXACTLY what you think our founders meant when they used the phrase “GENERAL WELFARE” in the constitution?.
The key to understanding the phrase is the word "general", the opposite of "specific". They meant that the services of government should benefit the general welfare of the nation, and not bestowed as favors to special interests.

Last edited:
Nope ...
The key to understanding the phrase is the word "general", the opposite of "specific". They meant that the services of government should benefit the general welfare of the nation, and not bestowed as favors to special interests.
Ding, ding and yet demofks

You support tax cuts for the rich.

Your President passed the tax cuts and jobs act. You voted for him twice. You support tax cuts for the rich.
Why wouldn’t you want your fellow countrymen to keep more of what’s theirs?
Why wouldn‘t you want government to cut spending on things like illegal wetbacks instead?

Ain’t that right Unkotare ?

Cause 1 is a full and complete clause. Each clause is independent. So spending on the general welfare is WELL ESTABLISHED to mean spending on social programs

Clause one is a full and complete clause. It states spending on general welfare.

You are done
So “GENERAL” to you means “individual”?

No it means general

"General" means everybody's welfare is improved, like building roads and bridges where everyone benefits. It does not mean some over others, hence it is NOT about gov't social welfare programs that did not exist then. And BTW, the Preamble is only an introduction to the Constitution and not a basis for any laws/legislation. The Preamble’s statements of purpose do not themselves grant powers or confer rights; the substantive provisions in the main body of the Constitution do that.

"General" means everybody's welfare is improved, like building roads and bridges where everyone benefits. It does not mean some over others, hence it is NOT about gov't social welfare programs that did not exist then. And BTW, the Preamble is only an introduction to the Constitution and not a basis for any laws/legislation. The Preamble’s statements of purpose do not themselves grant powers or confer rights; the substantive provisions in the main body of the Constitution do that.
So can you name any jurist in America that agrees with you?

Come on dude

Helping individuals does help the general population

So, in your view, there really isn't any limit to what the government has a right to do?

As long as the policies are said to help the general population?

Doesn't seem like a novus ordo seclorum at all, but instead just the old school idea of totalitarian government.

The "age of big government" continues I guess.

So, in your view, there really isn't any limit to what the government has a right to do?

As long as the policies are said to help the general population?

Doesn't seem like a novus ordo seclorum at all, but instead just the old school idea of totalitarian government.

The "age of big government" continues I guess.
Yes. It's ok as long as it helps the people

General" means everybody's welfare is improved, like building roads and bridges where everyone benefits. It does not mean some over others,
Building a bridge in your neighborhood does nothing to help me. I will never use it

So bridges cant be general welfare

In fact, you can’t name a single thing Government does that helps everyone equally. It can’t be done

Forum List

Back